Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone know of a good Canadian refinery for non-businesses?

I've accumulated a decent pile of scrap gold over the years, time to cash it in. About 70 grams (half 10k, half 14k). Plus probably another 40 grams of assorted stuff I've deemed "too nice to melt".

The best deal I've found locally from a coin shop was about 86% of melt. Not bad, but if I can cut out the middle man and get another 5-10%, it would definitely be worth it. I came across a few refinery pages, many have different rates for individuals vs businesses. I don't have a registered business to submit through. I'd prefer to ship my gold within Canada to avoid extra costs, currency conversion fees, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMan dude,

If I were you, I think that offer at 86% from a dealer is quite fair, the best your going to get from a refinery with that small amount is about 96%. And as you mentioned, not being a business, most will not deal with that one time small amount. I would try and wait till an up day, and see if the local dealer who is paying that, will stretch just a few more points, especially if you can catch him the day before or day of shipping out.

On days I know I am going to call and lock in a shipment, if somebody comes in and needs a little bit more, Ill stretch it a little instead of letting a deal walk out the door. Some profit is better than a no deal. (but I wont if its not close to ship out time, due to a potential drop)