Home Precious Metals
Options

Christmas bonus check from work....Where to put it.

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
Its nothing out of this world, but it is double what I recieved last year. This check came with a very nice Bulova watch as a gift for 5 years of service to the company. So my question is do I put this extra money twards my wifes debt or do I hit up PM's. What would have the better affect in the long run. Paying down 18% APR CC dept...In my head sounds like the better move. Although I dont have much in PM's on hand.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay the debt, definitely.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Piledrive that debt with your bonus. Going throught the same situation here. I took my bonus and almost paid off the high interest card. It's costly me WAAAAY more than pm's could make in the same amount of time. And just think of it this way, the sooner you get it paid off, the sooner you can use that payment that was gonna go to the CC company and use it to buy some PM's with it.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    ABSOLUTELY pay down the outlandish 18% CC debt.
    This is a no brainer!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    Well it would seem in most cases your WIFE'S Debt is your debt!!!! but if not to answer your question..... depends on if you are going to keep the wife? image
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Agree. Pay down debt. It's what i did with my little bonus as well.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Pay down the debt
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    No brainer...pay down the debt.
    Becky
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay down the debt.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Buy yourself one shining coin...... then pay off the debt with the rest. image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Not so simple. Logic doesn't always work with humans. Humans are funny that way..

It depends upon the individual and their spending/savings lifestyle. How many people have remortgaged to pay off the CC and other debt to be right back there in the same position (fairly quickly sometimes). If you don't change the actions of getting in debt, its only a temp fix to pay the debt off.

Let say a person has $3400 on one CC, and $1200 on another. The run into $5 extra money and pay it off. It would be common to run that same dept back up, even within a year, as I have. (the size of the example $$ doesn't matter). So, in a year so, you end up close to the same debt position again because thats life and its circumstances - real life. You have a new tv, or patio furniture and a few other things (because ya just had too). Its very easy to say or think that just now, JUST RIGHT NOW, in the middle of getting this new money, that I'll completely change my ways, be cured of debt and never CC/borrow again... Its just not that easy to just change at the second ya come into money. This is sort of funny but true though, eh...

Sometimes, in some circustances, if one banks the new money quickly, say in a Roth or some other long lasting-not easy to liquidate vehicle, even PMs...
    in the end they still have something "in the bank." Its how I got part of my savings over my lifespan, while still spending along the way because I'm a junky and i know it. It partially worked for me, and while not the best choice, I still have the savings, the PMs, and the CC bills I work on.

The kicker is, that if one is really really serious about that (pay the debt/don't spend anymore fix) they can still STOP spending, make a payment schedule and pay it off the hard way, because if they were really serious enough, this would work too, which is sometimes even more effective overall.
    It's partly how I got my PMs this time.

My alternate suggestion:---
    It's a different view but something to consider. You may still have "debt" next year and the next either way, but you could-have "more PMs and debt". I usually take the second option, and I have some PMs. My intelligent beautiful wife always gives the same advice about paying off the debt and the right thing to do. But she is in debt and has no savings.... (think that is why she married me - I'll take any advantage so I'm ok with it)

thats my friday advice
    COA
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Easy - pay off the debt. I would recommend that even if the debt were at 5% interest, since it's a "sure thing"... and PMs most definitely are not a "sure thing" in terms of price appreciation.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pay down the debt. you wont be sorry and keep it that way. best wishes image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Pay the debt. Cut the card and it won't come back.
  • Options
    Buy a little dab of PM's and put the rest toward the debt, maybe 20/80. That way you both are happy.You got a little metal and your wife got some debt relief.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay the debt !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you pay off the debt you will automatically be up 18%. If you buy silver or gold you will be down close to 3-5% the day you buy it AND another 3-5% the day you sell it on the spread so that effects your net. There is also no guarantee of appreciation.

In your case you will be up over 25% by just paying off the debtimage

I know what I would do

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Transfer the debt to a 0% credit card NOW! There are so many offers out there for this and most are for at least 1 year and the most the transfer fee should be is 3%...that is the absolute no brainer part. Then sell the watch for any fair price you can get, unless of course if you really like it. Me...I haven't felt the need to wear a watch in my life. Then take the bonus $ and the $ from the watch and have an unforgettable weekend. It's a bonus, it's found money. Money you didn't expect to get and you only go around once, so treat yourself to a treat. You deserve it and don't let anyone tell you you don't!!!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    MJ nailed the math perfectly.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay the debt.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy an ounce or ten of silver, take the wife out for a decent night out on the town, and apply the rest of the bonus towards the debt.

And keep the watch, 5 years of service with one employer is an increasingly scarce achievement these days.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    This is debt my wife aquired putting her self through college(I cut the card up long ago). She likes the idea of paying it off on her own, but limited income from what she loves doing. Bonus is goin to be applied to her card as bit of a surprise for her, the watch has my name/company/achievement engraved to it kind of hard to get rid of.

Kind of odd really, as a married couple we like keeping our finances seperate. We each have certain bills we pay with our income, and hardly overlap. So at any given moment neither of us know exactly how much money the other has. We dont have high paying jobs by any means but were more then comfortable.
  • Options
    This is debt my wife aquired putting her self through college(I cut the card up long ago). She likes the idea of paying it off on her own, but limited income from what she loves doing. Bonus is goin to be applied to her card as bit of a surprise for her, the watch has my name/company/achievement engraved to it kind of hard to get rid of.

Kind of odd really, as a married couple we like keeping our finances seperate. We each have certain bills we pay with our income, and hardly overlap. So at any given moment neither of us know exactly how much money the other has. We dont have high paying jobs by any means but were more then comfortable.
  • Options
    We keep separate finances. Not wierd one bit. Kudos on helping her out, ridding that weight from the shoulders is a good thing.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay down the debt.

For several years my wife and I had tremendous debt from never having good jobs, but loads of expenses, always having to work for somebody else , you never seem to be able to get ahead. The day we cleared the debt was a load off of us, and then we were able to put away some real $. (course the coin shop PM buiness I started in 08 helped tremendously)
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay off the 18% debt for sure... if your wife still wants to pay it off herself, she can then just owe it to you. Maybe you can even give her a better interest rate or maybe even find other ways for her to work off the debt image

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is debt my wife aquired putting her self through college(I cut the card up long ago). She likes the idea of paying it off on her own, but limited income from what she loves doing. Bonus is goin to be applied to her card as bit of a surprise for her, the watch has my name/company/achievement engraved to it kind of hard to get rid of.

Kind of odd really, as a married couple we like keeping our finances seperate. We each have certain bills we pay with our income, and hardly overlap. So at any given moment neither of us know exactly how much money the other has. We dont have high paying jobs by any means but were more then comfortable. >>

MJ has the best advice and reasoning to do such.

Change the backing of the watch if that's not an outrageous suggestion.

BTW congrats on the unexpected bonu$ amount.
  • Options

Here's some irony for you, my "Christmas bonus" was given in the form of a pre-paid debit card. I went to make a payment on a debt note today at my local bank and they wouldn't take it as form of payment. image
  • Options

<< <i>Pay off the 18% debt for sure... if your wife still wants to pay it off herself, she can then just owe it to you. Maybe you can even give her a better interest rate or maybe even find other ways for her to work off the debt image

image >>

She can pick up a vacation or 2 later.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replys everyone. Made a payment on her CC today without her knowing(kind of a christmas gift). Were also planning on selling off her old car and using the funds to pay off the rest of the card, now well have some cash left over after the sale. Now to sell my old car and put the funds to a project car Ive been planning.
  • Options
    I am happy to hear some are still getting Christmas bonuses! Good for you guys!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pay the debt. Cut the card and it won't come back. >>

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>I am happy to hear some are still getting Christmas bonuses! Good for you guys! >>

Got mine in the mail Saturday. Not to be outdone by last years led headlight thing ( the ones you get for free with a flashlight) my firm sent me a used little pocket calculator with a pack of new batteries and a note about how the thing was running low and needed the batteries replaced. I'm crappin you negative.

• Options
    You earn 18 percent by paying off the debt.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not so simple. Logic doesn't always work with humans. Humans are funny that way..

It depends upon the individual and their spending/savings lifestyle. How many people have remortgaged to pay off the CC and other debt to be right back there in the same position (fairly quickly sometimes). If you don't change the actions of getting in debt, its only a temp fix to pay the debt off.

Let say a person has $3400 on one CC, and $1200 on another. The run into $5 extra money and pay it off. It would be common to run that same dept back up, even within a year, as I have. (the size of the example $$ doesn't matter). So, in a year so, you end up close to the same debt position again because thats life and its circumstances - real life. You have a new tv, or patio furniture and a few other things (because ya just had too). Its very easy to say or think that just now, JUST RIGHT NOW, in the middle of getting this new money, that I'll completely change my ways, be cured of debt and never CC/borrow again... Its just not that easy to just change at the second ya come into money. This is sort of funny but true though, eh...

Sometimes, in some circustances, if one banks the new money quickly, say in a Roth or some other long lasting-not easy to liquidate vehicle, even PMs...
    in the end they still have something "in the bank." Its how I got part of my savings over my lifespan, while still spending along the way because I'm a junky and i know it. It partially worked for me, and while not the best choice, I still have the savings, the PMs, and the CC bills I work on.

The kicker is, that if one is really really serious about that (pay the debt/don't spend anymore fix) they can still STOP spending, make a payment schedule and pay it off the hard way, because if they were really serious enough, this would work too, which is sometimes even more effective overall.
    It's partly how I got my PMs this time.

My alternate suggestion:---
    It's a different view but something to consider. You may still have "debt" next year and the next either way, but you could-have "more PMs and debt". I usually take the second option, and I have some PMs. My intelligent beautiful wife always gives the same advice about paying off the debt and the right thing to do. But she is in debt and has no savings.... (think that is why she married me - I'll take any advantage so I'm ok with it)

thats my friday advice >>

I totally get the above, for some people it's almost better they keep their CC's near max and invest the bonus in something else. Othersie they will just rack up the CC's again.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    As most have said here - pay down the debt.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    DrBuster, that is just sad.....
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>DrBuster, that is just sad..... >>

Here's the rundown of the past 5 xmas bonuses. Mind you, I'm billed through them over 6 figs, so they make a nice 5 figures off me just for processing my paycheck and that's it (no benies/vaca/etc). The client is a big beverage company HQ'd in Atlanta, figure it out.

Wind up radio thing ($10~ at the time)
    Little LED flashlight ($5~)
    Homedic little vibrator massager thing ($6~, yes a damn vibrator)
    Headlamp little LED light thing ($5~)
    That calculator

Absolute worst consulting/design firm I've ever worked for.
  • Options

<< <i>

Here's the rundown of the past 5 xmas bonuses. Mind you, I'm billed through them over 6 figs, so they make a nice 5 figures off me just for processing my paycheck and that's it (no benies/vaca/etc). The client is a big beverage company HQ'd in Atlanta, figure it out.

That calculator

Absolute worst consulting/design firm I've ever worked for. >>

one of the above may or may not be a great gift....I guess it would depend on if you're married or not. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That calculator

Absolute worst consulting/design firm I've ever worked for. >>

one of the above may or may not be a great gift....I guess it would depend on if you're married or not. image >>

Ha, yeah. I haven't seen that thing in a while too...hmmmm.....
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    congrats on a nice bonus!