Home Precious Metals
Options

MISH vs. Schiff battle heats up!

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Mish ends his comments by saying that the US is heading down the same road as Japan but that Japan will have it's currency crisis first, doesn't that speak to a hyperinflation event?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know that a currency crisis equates to hyperinflation. Depends on one's definition of a currency crisis.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    The references to a currency crisis indicate that it is when a currency loses purchasing power.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>The references to a currency crisis indicate that it is when a currency loses purchasing power. >>

US currency has steadily lost purchasing power since 1913, yet no hyperinflation.

• Options
    $85 billion a month of unsterilized new money going into long bonds now because there are no outside buyers. $1.3 trillion annual budget deficits. I wouldn't say that hyperinflation will never happen.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$85 billion a month of unsterilized new money going into long bonds now because there are no outside buyers. $1.3 trillion annual budget deficits. I wouldn't say that hyperinflation will never happen. >>

Excessive debt usually leads to deflation. One only needs to look at the most recent bubble--real estate.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    excessive debt reduces demand, the buyers are all tapped out. This is why prices drop.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice little back and forth, I loled, one thing is for sure though...

We've ( USD) lost a lot of purchasing power since 2008 when compared to the Aussie Dollar...

Crocky Mate!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how it will pan out but I think more globally than most on the board. I wouldn't be surprised that the rest of the world didn't want US dollars so Joe 6 pack may have plenty of $$$ but there's no one that want to sell anything for them esp. if they aren't made right here in the US. If the Walmart can't get em then does it really matter how many $$$$ clones you have if it's not on the shelf?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>excessive debt reduces demand, the buyers are all tapped out. This is why prices drop. >>

Yup. The best cure for high prices is high prices.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Excessive debt usually leads to deflation.

Yes it does! (Which is exactly why Bernanke is pumping liquidity into the system.)

excessive debt reduces demand, the buyers are all tapped out. This is why prices drop.

Very true! (Which is what terrifies policy-makers most - a potential crash in equities and other assets would have the public up in arms and they would be thrown out of office, or worse.)

The best cure for high prices is high prices.

So, please explain why the Fed needs to pump $85 billion/month just to keep long bonds from crashing in price?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether hyperinflation or deflation we know the track record of fiat money with 100% certainty.