Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA Billing Policy

I'm curious to know what others think of PSA's current method of immediately charging for grading services then not getting the grading done for a lengthy period of time. They have told me they may change this policy. I bring this up because I sent in 146 cards to be graded that they logged in and charged me for on October 5th. We are over two months later and the order still has not been graded. With the holidays coming there is a good chance I won't have this order back before three months have gone by since I paid them over 800 dollars to grade these cards. I'm not happy that my order is taking so long (granted right now we are only 2 days over the approximate 45 day turnaround promised) but I wouldn't care nearly as much if my credit card would have been charged just before they send the order back instead of when the order was logged in.

Thoughts?image

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I don't like it either, but what happens if they take two months, and in that time the card is lost, stolen, expires, or the account is closed?
    I kind of look at it like I do a plane ticket. I have to pay for it up front and get the service when it's supposed to be rendered. In the case of the plane ticket that can be as much as a year away, so 45 days for grading doesn't seem nearly as bad.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• That's a good point. I'm assuming that once PSA starts grading an order they finish it in one sitting (I could be wrong but I doubt they grade a few cards, put the order away for a few weeks, grade a few more etc) so why could they not bill the credit card just prior to starting to grade the order?
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a good point. I'm assuming that once PSA starts grading an order they finish it in one sitting (I could be wrong but I doubt they grade a few cards, put the order away for a few weeks, grade a few more etc) so why could they not bill the credit card just prior to starting to grade the order? >>

Well for some orders they have to verify what the cards really are, not all subs are just 1978 Topps Football. Modern cards can have hard to ID inserts. So at times, not sure what your order is, there are more than just the grading and slabbing steps. So cards aren't just graded and sent back, though it appears that way when they tell you you grades are finalized, and you call them about an error and they tell you it has been shipped already.

Many small hotels in Eurpoe require you to pay in full when you make your reservation. Most home remodels usually result in at least some money upfront. Maybe PSA could do a 50/50 split. Charge half up front then charge the other half on return shipping.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Griffins plane ticket analogy is a good one. I don't fault PSA on this one. Credit cards max out. Card expiration dates change. They need to get that money up front.
  • As I said they are thinking about changing the policy so I am guessing there are a number of complaints coming in to them. Charging when they start grading an order makes sense to me.
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • Shipping half when they start grading and the other half when they ship out only conveniences you - the person sending in the card. It sounds like you just want to know every single time they touch your card for an update. They will NEVER do it that way. Cards 651 already said it best - Credit cards max out and expire - PSA and most companies don't have time to fool around going back and fourth chasing someone and trying get their new card number. They're not going to work harder trying to chase you down.. And if they cant contact you, then what? Do you expect them to hold on to your card forever? Its a very simple process - when you send the card in, expect to get charged upfront. I prefer it that way. I know I'm still going to get the service done regardless. Have they ever charged you and you DIDNT get the cards back. Your already complaining about you wait times and so it just sounds like your a bit impatient is all op.
  • You prefer it that way? Given the choice of paying now for cards you will get more than two months from now or paying just prior to the cards shipping back to you, you would choose to pay two months ago?
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has some legs. Normally I would say I don't really care; but with the last years complete inconsistancy with everything....I believe they need to make some changes. If making changes means starting in the billing department, then so be it. Here's the problem==========

Some folks have quite alot of money tied up in a bulk sub of cards to begin with. Then you factor in the $5.50 per card and that's some dough. Then you factor in the 100 days some are waiting.....then it starts to get even more expensive. A reason why it gets even more expensive.....time is money in all walks of life. Also, when it is taking this long to log and grade subs you are also not getting what you paid for. They are generally not even getting the more expensive services done on time. We have all heard of the 10 day service taking over 2 weeks to just log in and another 14 business days to grade........and then to put the cherry on top....the cards have sat a few days to be shipped.

Also, just to show that there are very weird things going on.....I received an invoice in an email for 1 of my subs that showed what I paid and that I had a zero balance. It listed each line # with a charge of $5.50 per card. I've never received anything like it in 18 years of grading.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Easy solution...PSA could charge after the services are rendered and then if you don't pay for the grading fees...they don't ship! >>

Exactly! Maybe they need the money up front to keep the place operating because they don't have enough cash on hand. Think Bernie Madoff.......It also reminds me how sports teams take your money for play off tickets, then refund it months after the team is eliminated, thus having an interest free loan.

<< <i>

<< <i>Easy solution...PSA could charge after the services are rendered and then if you don't pay for the grading fees...they don't ship! >>

Exactly! Maybe they need the money up front to keep the place operating because they don't have enough cash on hand. Think Bernie Madoff.......It also reminds me how sports teams take your money for play off tickets, then refund it months after the team is eliminated, thus having an interest free loan. >>

Yes, but you forgot that its minus the handling fee.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Here is another one. The Packers make you pay for your season tickets in April. Yet they dont send them to you until July. That's just like a PSA sub wait.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • I should point out that the order I am talking about is 95% made up of cards I plan to sell. I cannot sell them until I have them in my hands. If you are planning on selling your Green Bay tickets, I'm not sure the same applies. You could presell them, although asking for money from a secondary market buyer likely won't work but you could at least line up buyers. I cannot do that as I don't know what the cards are going to be graded at. If all the cards I have sent in were my personal collection and I felt this way then it's really just a case of me being impatient. This is a different situation.
    I am sorry at first I thought your issue was that you have to pay up front but wait for the product. I assume that you sent your cards in on a special. You are just upset that since you used a special to max your profit per sale that they weren't graded fast enough. All specials state that turn around is approximate. If you need to sell them by a certain date it might have been better to have used the normal service levels. But that would have cut your profit. You probably should have looked at these boards before you sent them in and asked for how long they can take on specials.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • This is not my first time sending in this many cards on the monthly special. It IS the first time I have had to wait anywhere near this long. Text
  • Not only do the Packers make you pay in April and ship tickets in July, sometimes they don't play the game you are paying for until December. Why can't the Packers send out the tickets and then collect the money as you enter Lambeau?

<< <i>Not only do the Packers make you pay in April and ship tickets in July, sometimes they don't play the game you are paying for until December. Why can't the Packers send out the tickets and then collect the money as you enter Lambeau? >>

It's even worse for playoff tickets. I had to send in money by 12/5. If they wouldn't have made playoffs I wouldnt have gotten my money back unlit after the new year. Minus the handling fee.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • From experience I can only tell you (and this is certainly not trying to defend the service)
    that even PCGS coin grading, ALL FEES must be paid up front including return shipping
    (unless you are using your own Fed Ex account etc). So, it is not just PSA that does it,
    ALL GRADING COMPANIES charge up front.
    Not saying its good or bad, just the reality.

Tony
    KalineFan
  • They could do like hotels and rent-a-car place put a hold on some funds, but not collect until the order is finished. I don't believe your charged any interest on such funds.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    The point is you are paying up front for a service that doesn't get completed in a timely fashion. Does a mechanic make you pay for the brake job before its done? Does a doctor charge you before you get seen? Do you pay your accountant before he does your taxes?