Home Sports Talk
Options

I can not believe I am posting a thread about the GS Warriors, but...................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
........................ it may just be that this year the Warriors will field a really good team that makes the playoffs and that could survive to play beyond the first round.

The W's are 15-7, having won 10 of their last 12 games, including 5 straight on a 7 game road trip. Last night's win in Miami against the defending NBA Champs and King James has generated some noise on the SF Bay Area sports talk radio today.

The players on the team are a mix of younger and older players who have jelled. Not only does the team have guys who can score, this year's team is actually concentrating on and putting effort into playing defense.

When I look at the NBA Pacific Division standings I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone when I seen the LA Clippers in first place at 16-6 and the Warriors in second place at 15-7. Even more strange is seeing the Lakers sporting a losing record 25% of the way through the season.

Very strange indeed, but it may be that the SF Bay Area will have another pro team to get excited about this year.

Comments

• Options
    Since I first posted this thread over a month ago the Warriors have gone 11-8 and are just finishing up a brutal stretch of games against the top teams in the league. Their last two wins came against the Clippers and OKC. They have won the season series against the Clippers 3-1.

At the half way point in the season it looks like the Warriors are in very good shape to make the playoffs. If the season ended today they would be the #4 or #5 seed in the West.

Wouldn't it be strange indeed if the Warriors made some noise in the playoffs, advancing to the Western Conference finals or the NBA finals. The SF Bay Area would be awash in good pro teams with the Giants winning the World Series, the 49rs playing in (and maybe winning) the Superbowl and the Warriors making the playoffs. Maybe the Sharks will also do well this year in the shortened hockey season.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    and a new 1/2 Billion Dollar Stadium on the waterfront? Sounds good for you!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Oracle Arena in Oakland is a nice facility to watch the Warriors play in. However, I expect that a new arena built on the SF waterfront with views of the Bay and surrounding evirons will be a major improvement over Oracle and will make the Warriors franchise go up in value. Now if only the new ownership group can assemble competitive teams on a regular basis instead of also ran, high scoring, no defense doormats.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am hoping the new Oracle Arena will be in downtown SacTown!
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Oracle Arena in Oakland is a nice facility to watch the Warriors play in. However, I expect that a new arena built on the SF waterfront with views of the Bay and surrounding evirons will be a major improvement over Oracle and will make the Warriors franchise go up in value. Now if only the new ownership group can assemble competitive teams on a regular basis instead of also ran, high scoring, no defense doormats. >>

Oracle has good energy, but its among the worst facilities in the league at this point. They need a big upgrade, and moving over to the piers in SF will be a huge boost in revenue. Mark Jackson really is on to something with this team, even without Bogut they're playing infinitely better defense (getting rid of Monta Ellis was a key to that) and they're a top 5 rebounding team due to hustle and playing smart. Even David Lee's defensive liabilities are being well-hidden due to Jackson's system.

• Options
    Been a while since this thread was posted.

After the current Warriors team playing in the 2013-2014 season best the Pacers in Indiana last night (where Indiana has lost only 4 games so far this season) I thought to bring this thread to the top again.

The current Warrior team is having a good year and may end up a 50+ win team this year. The team is the only one in the league who has beaten the Heat and the Pacers in their home arenas this year. The team is playing very good defense. This has helped the team win when it has an off night offensively and/or when some of its top players have been MIA for multiple games due to injuries. The Warriors have beaten the Heat, Pacers, Thunder, Clippers, Portland, Houston (most of the top teams in the NBA) so far this year.

The Western Conference is loaded this year and it is still up in the air if the Warriors will make the playoffs (they are in the #6 slot at this time, with the teams at #6-9 being very close to each other in records.

The stretch run towards the end of the season should be enjoyable for Warrior's fans. If the team does make the playoffs the post season should be very entertaining.

Still it is strange to see the Warriors being relevant in the NBA after the All Star break (after decades of mediocrity).

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The Warriors have looked inspiring in the last two games but overall they tend to be a streaky team that can look like an elite team then the next night look like a bad D-League team. Beating the Pacers at home is one thing but then they lose against teams like the Bobcats while for 3 1/2 quarters they look like they couldn't buy a basket much less hit a field goal. They've also had too many games where they were leading for most of the game only to fade away late. A stronger bench would be helpful.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    What you said WTCG is true.

The 2013-14 Warriors team needs improvement is many areas, including more consistent play by the starters and by the bench.

However, this year's team and last years' team have been and are much better than the almost 2 decades worth of doormat teams that preceeded them under the ownership of Chris Cohan. The current Lacob ownership group seems to be moving the team in the right direction (away from irrelevance towards competitive playoff contenders).
  • Options
    Curry has ice water in his veins. He hit the game winning shot with .1 second on the clock in overtime in Dallas last night. Curry is really fun to watch.