Home Sports Talk

Kevin Youkilis in pinstripes

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gonna be interesting when he returns to Fenway.

Comments

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gonna be interesting when he returns to Fenway. >>

crowd: ::applauds::
    Youkilis: ::tips cap::

Not that interesting, really. image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    It's interesting that Youkilis becomes the seventh player from the 2004 World Series champion Red Sox to join the Yankees, following Johnny Damon, Mike Myers, Mark Bellhorn, Doug Mientkiewicz, Alan Embree and Derek Lowe.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know its always about the money with these guys but this disgusts me.

As far as Im concerned F Youk and F the Yankees.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    As a Yankee fan I am disgusted by this signing. I guess it truly is all business, and there is no real rivalry-- it is just media and team/MLB-manufactured, to make more money for all parties involved...and we the fans buy into it like suckers.

Youkilis was, to many Yankee fans, the face of the Sox franchise during years of intense "rivalry." I was barely able to stomach Damon on the team I root for after hating him for so long, but just can't bring myself to root for this guy. In my grandfather and even father's day many fans and even team executives would reject such a changing of sides out-of-hand. However New Age and PC it may be to adopt the viewpoint of: "Well, he's on my team now so I'll root for him," I just can't get with it. Call me an a**ho!e or just a combative, ornery pr!@k (I often am), but it's just the way I feel. And I bet many fans on both sides actually feel the same way-- a few of my dear friends who are Sox fans (we don't let baseball get in the way, lol) said they would feel the same way if roles were reversed.

It also seems that so many players once beloved by a franchise inevitably fall out of favor with it and wind up frozen out, which is in stark contrast to the Ripkens, Schmidts, and Gwynns of the game, among others of course.

And so the Yanks sign another over-the-hill player who bats .230s. Sure, they had little else to plug in at this moment, but sheesh. If this guy gets applause from the NY fans then the city/fan base really has become too gentrified.

I know the Yanks will likely never in my lifetime bring up another Core Four, but I am hoping the team will hit rock bottom sooner than later so they can purge the roster and start bringing up exciting new players. How about some rebuilding, instead of re-tooling. All they do is field an annual team that beats up on the weak squads, only to get run off the field like a bad little league team when they face the tough comp in October. All the hot air from the team and media about titles titles titles, and the fact is they win it lately as much as anyone else, or less often. What they do better than anyone is get to the playoffs and get pantsed by scrappier, hungrier, younger teams.
  • Well said, MattyC....