Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I like to see the price on the coin/slab. You?

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
All this talk about negotiating reminds me how much I dislike it. Sometimes it's so unnecessary (we're miles apart!).

How do you feel about dealers who have sticker prices versus those you have to ask, and wait while they decrypt their code or check some sheet before citing one?

What's the downside to showing a price on the item? Reminds me of jewelry shopping I dislike.

Not talking bullion, BTW.
Lance.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>How do you feel about dealers who have sticker prices versus those you have to ask, and wait while they decrypt their code or check some sheet before citing one? >>

I don't really care one way or the other. If it's something I'm interested in, I'll probably ask for a "best price" anyway so waiting for them to check it out is no big deal.

<< <i>What's the downside to showing a price on the item? >>

I don't know. Obviously though, there must be one or the dealers that don't show a price would.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE when they have prices on the slabs at shows. If its really busy I can scan the table and if it's close to my
    idea as to what I expect to pay I don't care if I wait a half hour or more. What I do hate is waiting forever to find
    out that was I was looking at is nowhere what I expect to pay.

Even if it's slightly higher I will stick around and see if there is wiggle roomimage

Great thread!!!!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the downside is the threat that it's more inviting for those that are there to literally steal. Targeting. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes I actually like seeing a price sticker on the coin, it gives me an idea if we are closer to an approachable price or way far apart. If I am really intrested , I usually still ask.

This past houston money show, saw a coin I was intrested in, actually probably worth about 28k. dealer had sticker at 35k. I knew not to even bother asking wasting his time and mine.
  • Options
    it really doesn't change my hand.

Eric
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a price
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess the downside is the threat that it's more inviting for those that are there to literally steal. Targeting. MJ >>

MJ is 100% correct.

I have price stickers on all my coins, buth they're on the back of the slab. Having price stickers showing on coins worth more than a couple hundred dollars is a security and theft risk I don't care to take. It's not as big of a deal at a large show, but it's a very real security issue at small and medium shows.
  • Options
    It depends. If there is someone attending a dealer's table at a show, then that's preferable and a price can be negotiated. When no one is attending the table, a sticker would certainly help to see if it's worthwhile to re-visit the table. Regardless, whether or not there is a price on it, as long as there is a human there you can at least make an offer. These "ghost" tables where no one is to be found are a dilemma.

Good question.
  • Options
    I perfer to see a price. Especially on a common coin.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some might say that it is a hassle to keep the prices up to date based on market changes. But I always have prices on my coins for sale and always am willing to consider offers.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I most definitely prefer to see price stickers, but I fully respect the dealer's right to market the product as he/she feels is proper.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah. I'm looking for coins, not prices. Find coin first, then worry about price.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Either way is fine with me; there are pros and cons to both ways of doing it.
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Show the price. its gets kind of tiring to ask them the price and opening the case for multiple items and then find out the prices are not close to what you want to pay.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like stickers on the slabs... especially those stickers that don't peel off easily. Just more work for me after I buy the coin to peel off the stickers and clean it up with Goo Gone.

• Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    I do like seeing it, but understand why they wouldn't.
    When prices change having to redo both the code and the front side would be annoying. Also if they are listing on eBay taking the stickers on and off could get annoying.
    I have felt quite silly before seriously looking at a coin I could not afford and a price sticker would have prevented that.

Just some random thoughts.
    -Luis

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My nephew has been hammering this home to me. He keeps saying, "if YOU don't put prices on the flips and holders, nobody will buy them". image

ooops.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes no difference to me. If I like the coin I simply ask for their best price. Conversely, as a dealer, I find the people who have money have no problem asking a price. If I am at a show and they are not asking about the price, it means the people walking in the door don't have any money. This alerts me there may be buying opportunity. In addition, at a show I don't want other dealers knowing my asking price on a coin (they may also have).

We are in the electronic age. Many dealers have price / cost info in their pc or on a print out. In addition, many coin values change everyday due to bullion fluctuations. Putting price stickers on these coins is impractical.

I put a sticker with the cost code on the back of the holder but have price, cost, market retail, auction results on my laptop. The only thing I have price stickers on is currency or junk box non silver coins. I have a huge inventory of world paper money as this is a high profit product line. Notes not itemized in the computer have price stickers.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a dealer, I put prices on just about every coin. I want people to know whether or not they are in the ballpark with respect to a particular coin.

Another dealer who doesn't put prices on his coins told me once how a prospective customer looked at about 50 coins, asked for the prices on each one, and ended up buying exactly zero coins.

Putting prices on the coins might have reduced the number of coins for which the customer felt he needed to ask for prices.

Edit to add: Often I have several people waiting at my table to be shown coins, putting prices on my coins I believe reduces the wait time.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I LOVE when they have prices on the slabs at shows. If its really busy I can scan the table and if it's close to my
    idea as to what I expect to pay I don't care if I wait a half hour or more. What I do hate is waiting forever to find

Even if it's slightly higher I will stick around and see if there is wiggle roomimage

Great thread!!!! >>

Agree with Steph on all points. If the coin is bullion related and the market is volatile, I can certainly understand why a dealer wouldn't want to put price stickers on his coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you see a bunch of letters and I'm counting on my hands, don't be alarmed. I haven't included sales tax, yet.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I LOVE when they have prices on the slabs at shows. If its really busy I can scan the table and if it's close to my
    Great thread!!!! >>

+1
    when you are selling something it is essential to potential customers to have at the very least, a vague idea of where a dealer prices their items. (at least until you memorize the hundreds of dealers you see in/out of your local circuits and their price expectations) and if you visit enough dealers you will see some rather stark variations in pricing levels and merchandise quality and all kinds of combinations.

I tend to back off a bit for those dealers that know me and let me go through their booth at my leisure. (trust/comfort is a wonderful thing) I can think of several reasons why having items priced, even if they are just a negotiating point, is beneficial, but i won't divulge them as it may just be a matter of preference to the dealer and/or customer and I'm certainly not here to tell independent entrepreneurs how I want them to run their businesses, but will offer diverse and usually effective advice if solicited, although I make no promises they will be able to understand the advice. A moderate level of comfort with chess, game theory, combinatorics, statistics etc is beneficial to say the least. (ok I'm getting away from the general point)

to conclude: my sarcastic remark is that when i see dealers with NO prices on their items visible and I don't pick up on any desire from them to let people just start looking at their items, i assume it is just a display case and usually move on unless i stop to just say, hey, nice coins you have while secretly thinking, and all the dust that has accumulated accents them quite nicely image

edited to add bullion is generally of no interest to me. lets say 90-10.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I much prefer to see the prices listed on the coins in the display case. If I see the asking prices are close to what I would pay, I ask the dealer for his best price to me. If the price is not shown on the coin, and I need to ask the dealer for the price, I often need to keep myself from making facial gestures of surprise at the high asking price. It could get embarrassing.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the price is not shown on the coin, and I need to ask the dealer for the price, I often need to keep myself from making facial gestures of surprise at the high asking price. It could get embarrassing. >>

that is funny and a good point image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a price on the coin is good, b/c then I don't have to speak with the dealer, if we are too far apart or I am not interested. Having to ask makes for the awkward moment of having to say 'thanks but NO THANKS'. IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file