Home Precious Metals
Options

An Engelhard question for our Canadian PM fans

OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
The obverse of this Prospector looks like the typical business strike from Engelhard except its "The Canadian Prospector" and its a proof strike. The reverse is entirely different from the "Big E" or eagle types - a Canada Goose in flight.

Does anyone know the circumstances of when and why Engelhard produced these rounds? I have only ever seen a handful. My guess is the 1984-1990 period. The accompanying box implies a special order (almost numismatic) product.

Comments

• Options
    This is the infrequently seen Canadian Silver Prospector. It was made 1 year only in 1979.

Sale where so poor that Englhard never made them again. As far as mintage ... I have no

idea....... but they are not offered very often.

Keep on stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SilverBaron, thanks for your help. I did not realize these Canadian Prospectors were produced as early as 1979 or that they did not sell well.

They certainly don't show up often.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of panning for silver. Seems like the old prospector belongs on a gold coin!!!
  • Options
    TIPPAHNUMTIPPAHNUM Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Neat find ! Thanks for posting a really beautiful Engelhard Proof OnlyGoldIsMoney and thanks for the insightful information SilverBaron... Interesting post !
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"having money's not everything and not having it is."

-Kanye West

• Options

<< <i>This is the infrequently seen Canadian Silver Prospector. It was made 1 year only in 1979.

Sale where so poor that Englhard never made them again. As far as mintage ... I have no

idea....... but they are not offered very often.

Keep on stack'n!! >>

Interesting. Never would have guessed they were produced so early as 1979 given that proof-like Prospectors didn't come to market until 1984. Perhaps you might have some additional insight as to why to Engelhard logo on the box interior was not registered until July of 1987?

“Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Options

Perhaps you might have some additional insight as to why to Engelhard logo on the box interior was not registered until July of 1987?

Just connecting the dots here .... no real proof.

Thru the 80's, Engelhard was transforming it self from a PM company into much more of a specialties chemical co.

Remember ....... Engelhard's last year of making "small" PM bars and medals was 1987.

Maybe the logo change was just another way of expressing the " New " Engelhard.

As for the "goose" being in the "new" box ......... I can only guess that Engelhard had made the decision, mid 1987, to end

the small PM lines ........ and a " clean out the vaults" order to sell off all old stock was issued.

Wish I could have been in on that sale!! image

Keep on stack'n!!

Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.