Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best way to maximize profit in auction format?

Included in one of my recent pops was a 1951 Bowman #310 Erv Dusak PSA 9, and it SMRs at $680. In order to get the most out of this card, do you recommend using eBay, or would you recommend some other auction format, such as Robert Edward Auctions or Mile High (or similar auction house)?

Any reasonable advice will be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

An auction house is gonna cost you $$$. List the card on eBay, which provides you a much wider audience...put a Reserve price on the card that you can live with and let the chips fall where they may.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    SMR is useless. $680 for a #310 PSA 9 may be ridiculously high or ridiculously low. On eBay, a 7 is currently offered at $65 and an 8 is being offered at $139. Prices then jump for the 9's. The pop report shows 45 at PSA 8 and 7 at PSA 9. Recent eBay sales show that #114 (POP of 4) went for $1,454 in PSA 9, #68 (POP of 5) went for $510 and #196 (POP of 9) went for $998. With a POP of 7, your card could be above $1,000? Tough call. I don't know this set so you should try to get some input from someone that knows the '51 Bowman. With only 1 card to offer, my advice is to find the price that you want and offer it on eBay as a Buy-It-Now. Assuming you have a decent amount of feedback, you should get your price. As an individual seller, selling one item, it's really tough to get the top dollar for a card so I would avoid a straight auction. A reserve tends to scare bidders away because they assume the reserve is too high. You can't really go wrong with MCMLVTopps advice as well. Hope this helps. Good luck with the sale.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just decide what your buy-it-now price would be, list it on auction (not buy-it-now) with that as your start price, and if it sells you'll at least get what you wanted if not a little more. Plus, ebay fees are a lower % for auction than buy-it-now, so you'll save yourself a few dollars that way as well.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd figure what you want, and then email every set listed on the registry with the price. If you can sell it direct you'll put 100% in your pocket.
    In regards to auction houses, it will get lost in REA. Goodwin is your best bet.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Profile of Erv Dusak (310)

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 9

3/26/09 Mile High $1,213.78

I'd start it on ebay for $999, with a BIN of $1300.

If it doesn't sell go to $799, with a BIN of $999.

After that if it doesn't go, then try an auction house, but shop around, make sure they have similar items going in their next auction and negotiate a lower commission if possible, they will already make up to 20% on the buyer's premium, they don't need to double dip with you too.
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly appreciate everyone's input. I have sold quite a bit on eBay, but I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to big ticket items (well, this is a big ticket item to me).

Thanks again!
  • Options
    I like gameusedhoop's advice. Clearer than mine...Makes a lot of sense.

Good point from miwlvrn on the eBay fees for auction vs. BIN as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to MAXIMIZE profit do not use the buy it now feature. If you have something that two or more people want/need badly this might reduce the amount it goes for. Ideally, you are hoping for a "bidding war" where your item can really take off.

Just my .02

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    i just found a new web site call bonanza.com. do not have to pay any listing fees. the traffic is pretty slow about 1/3 of ebay. i like it because its free. i have every item listed on both sites. you just have to wait alot longer for a sale. the more looks the better
  • Options
    Do you have a link to your items on eBay?
  • Options

<< <i>i just found a new web site call bonanza.com. do not have to pay any listing fees. the traffic is pretty slow about 1/3 of ebay. i like it because its free. i have every item listed on both sites. you just have to wait alot longer for a sale. the more looks the better >>

The best way to maximize profit in auction format would be for him to list his 1951 Bowman PSA 9 card on bonanza.com?

Brilliant advice.