Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Johnny Manziel wins Heisman Trophy

Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M's dynamic quarterback, became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy.

Manziel beat out Notre Dame senior linebacker Manti Te'o and Kansas State senior quarterback Collin Klein during the 78th Heisman Trophy presentation Saturday in New York City.

Manziel is the second Heisman winner from Texas A&M, joining RB John David Crow from 1957.

In his first season as the starter, "Johnny Football" accounted for 4,600 total yards (3,419 passing) and 43 touchdowns as the Aggies finished 10-2 overall and 6-2 in their inaugural season in the SEC.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Good choice !!!- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    oddityoddity Posts: 124 ✭✭

I was hoping Manti Te'o would win, but I knew it was a long shot. I've always been a fan of O-Line, D-Line, and line backers more than any skill position or secondary. Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before any other positions really contend for the award.

Great year for Johnny Football, though.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I was rooting for Manti ... but can't argue with JM winning. Kid had an AMAZING year. Looking forward to watching Manti become a Pro-Bowler in the NFL.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jordan lynch 2013 heisman winner.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    My Sooners have to play "Johnny Football" in the Cotton Bowl.....should be fun.
  • Options
    Three white guys as finalists. Strange.
    The best candidate won.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Three white guys as finalists. Strange. >>

Racism.

j/k
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Samoa begs to differ. 2 white guys.
  • Options

<< <i>Samoa begs to differ. 2 white guys. >>

Jeff, you beat me to that by about 30 seconds.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Three white guys as finalists. Strange.
    The best candidate won. >>

Care to elaborate?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>

Care to elaborate? >>

Sure.

It was strange to see three white guys as finalists for the trophy.
    I felt of the three finalists, the most impressive player won.

I hope this makes you understand better.
  • Options
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I think the Heisman Trophy loses value each year.

This is not 1960. The voters vote too early, and there is too much regional bias. Heck the voters don't even know what they are voting for:

is it best player?

is it best stats?

best player on best team?

Texas A&M didn't make a BCS bowl, where both of the other finalists did.

What if Jonny gets crushed by the same Sooner team that Klein beat, it should matter.

Texas A&M had an easier schedule than most years, and lost their tough games, other than win at Bama.

I think this just opens it players popularity winning games. With over 800 media voters, many of them are voting strictly for their favorite guy.

Quite simply, the Heisman doesn't mean much, because the player that wins is usually a QB or RB that is most popular at the time, and thats it
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    Manti ... you are in pretty good company. These guys were the Heisman Runner-up as well:

Bob Griese
    John Elway
    Joe Theismann
    Steve Young
    Peyton Manning
    Adrian Peterson
    Marshall Faulk
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Manti Teʻo is Samoan. Is that considered "white" these days?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Papāalagi~Pālagi is a word in the Samoan language describing non-Samoans especially European westerners or Caucasians.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I was waiting for the Heisman voting to take my 1952 Bowman-style card to beta version. Before I can finalize and print, I have to wait for the Cotton Bowl.

I think this is the first custom I've created of a college player while he was still in school.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I see a white guy, a Samoan and a Texan? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty cool that a freshman won it. Congrats to him.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the Heisman Trophy loses value each year.

This is not 1960. The voters vote too early, and there is too much regional bias. Heck the voters don't even know what they are voting for:

is it best player?

is it best stats?

best player on best team?

Texas A&M didn't make a BCS bowl, where both of the other finalists did.

What if Jonny gets crushed by the same Sooner team that Klein beat, it should matter.

Texas A&M had an easier schedule than most years, and lost their tough games, other than win at Bama.

I think this just opens it players popularity winning games. With over 800 media voters, many of them are voting strictly for their favorite guy.

Quite simply, the Heisman doesn't mean much, because the player that wins is usually a QB or RB that is most popular at the time, and thats it >>

I agree 100% with you. I'm a ND fan and, although I may be biased, I felt that Te'o should have won. He was the heart and soul of the ND defense and played out of his mind this year. If the Heisman trophy is akin to an MVP award, then Te'o should have won because ND would have been 6-6 this year if their defense wasn't playing on such a high level.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg