Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

So what is a PR66BN 1915 cent worth these days?

Comments

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    How far has it fallen? The matte mania from a few years back was a dead giveaway a fall was on the way.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very obvious that the overall price of matte proofs has fallen pretty hard... not as much for the really really nice ones, but those too have come down a bit.

Not sure what the deal is with this 1915 in PR66BN... Looks decent from the photos, and even CAC likes it too, even with the spot near the end of the right wheat stalk. Then again, there are more eye appealing examples out there if a buyer is patient. Additionally, the current price is well over auction price of that exact coin from close to 2 years ago when it sold at Stacks for $2875 (March 2011). So, if it sells anywhere near the seller's asking price, you might say the market is improving image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    The MPL market, with the exception of the 1909VDB MPL, is obviously down from its high water mark leading up to the 2009 centenial. The fact remains that less than 15,000 of these 1909 thru 1916 MPL's were minted and to those of us Lincoln cent collectors who admire some beautiful copper coins, this set of 8 proof coins would make a very nice collection in quality condition and currently, at reasonable cost. Of course, that 9th MPL, the 1909VDB MPL is a whole different story. Steveimage
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Reno, I have to somewhat disagree with what you're implying. Guide on this coin is $3750 and it has been at that level for 1 1/2 yrs. The coin doesn't appear to have any booming luster or jaw dropping toning, just solid for the grade. If he gets within 10% of guide on either side he's probably doing OK. I have not seen this coin in person. If it truly is PQ+ then the buyer will be very happy when the pendulum swings back and we come out of this recession. Average for the grade coins are not bringing guide right now. You need to be above average to get guide and PQ++ to exceed.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    3/31/2011

$2,875.00

Stack's/Bowers
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Reno, I have to somewhat disagree with what you're implying. Guide on this coin is $3750 and it has been at that level for 1 1/2 yrs. The coin doesn't appear to have any booming luster or jaw dropping toning, just solid for the grade. If he gets within 10% of guide on either side he's probably doing OK. I have not seen this coin in person. If it truly is PQ+ then the buyer will be very happy when the pendulum swings back and we come out of this recession. Average for the grade coins are not bringing guide right now. You need to be above average to get guide and PQ++ to exceed. >>

Well, your point is well taken. It would seem that just a few years ago any solid 66 MPL was cheap at $5K. That one does look solid, much like the 66BN 1911 I bought last year for a very reasonable price (like $2K).

Putting it in perspective, I bought a blue 66BN 1915 in 2007/2008 for $10K. It was high even at the time, but pretty toners in high grade were all the rage, and the bug bit me plenty hard. Sold it some short years later for $5500, and subsequently found an exemplary mark/spot free 66BN that I was happy to pay $4K for that I still own.

Fortunately for me, all of my eggs were not in that basket. image