Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2012 Topps Chrome Football

Anyone else been buying this? I had fun opening 4 hobby boxes (24 packs, 4 cards per pack in a hobby box). I like the inserts, retro cards, refractors, colored borders etc. I collect 98% vintage, so this is a rare venture to modern, but am kind of hooked on these. It doesn't hurt that I am a Miami fan and I am gobbling up Ryan Tannehill's (collecting all his variations on eBay).

-Paul
Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.

Comments

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Got a case waiting to be opened as we speakimage
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Ditto.....and I'm like you with the vinatage. I hadn't bought any new wax in years, but fell to the temptation of the 2012 Topps Chrome for the first time last week. I ripped one hobby box and have a couple more on their way already. With all the talented rookies playing this year it feels like 1984 all over again....except I'm fatter, have less hair, and now when I bend over to pick something up that I've dropped I find myself simply hoping that I'm able to strand up straight after I pick it up.

Did you get any autographed cards swankdaddy7? I didn't get one in the first box.

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 hobby boxes as well. Trying to figure out what cards I want to pull, or just leave them sealed.
    Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a blaster box at Walmart and a handful of loose packs. Great looking cards! Best cards were RGIII and Weeden Tallboy and many rookies!
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I love the camo refractors..... In fact, I bought a box of this as a cards show a couple weeks ago with my son and we are putting the 220 card camo set together. We are 75% done in only a few weeks. Still need the Luck and RG3, but ill pick em up eventually. If anyone has any camo singles laying around let me know!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I pre bought 2 cases Topps Strata Football. Those cards look great!
    Im a OPC baseball guy but i'm hooked on the excitement of RGIII and Luck

Cant wait to beak those cases down. 2 autos in a box - 12 box cases!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    bought a bunch of this as well. Love Topps Chrome. Hard to get mint cards out of that product though. I bought 2 Hobby boxes, and about 8 retail blasters. Did score a Tannehill refractor auto out of one of the Hobby boxes. PM me if there is any interest.
  • Options
    For Auto's I got a Matt Kalil, Brock Osweiler, Lamar Miller, and Robert Turbin. I think it is one per hobby box. The Kalil is a redemption.
  • Options
    Mat84Mat84 Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I started out buying a couple blasters at wal-mart but that wasn't getting the job done so I grabbed a hobby case for 1050 off ebay last week. It should be here tomorrow!!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    i have bought two boxes, but only opened one. very fun, got the Matt Kalil auto redemption as well. bought some random packs in my nearby store and no huge hits but good fun with a ton of the different refractors. the camos are definitely cool.

anyone know how many boxes youd have to open to get pretty close to a set?
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    My card money is rather low right now but after I saw some of the vintage reprints I had to buy a blaster box. WOW!

I was disappointed that five of the seven packs had scratches on the rookie card on top. Odd.

But the assortment was plain awesome.

Pack#1 Alshon Jeffrey base
    Justin Blackmon 1984 version
    Brees
    Gronkowski

Pack #2
    Aaron Corp
    Peyton Refractor Prisim
    ANDREW LUCK! Base card 50/50 dead on. But the kicker here is it is the two hands on variation 1:318 packs retail or 1:76 packs.
    Vick
    an all QB pack.

Pack #3
    Brian Quick
    Zach Brown
    Megatron Refractor
    Patrick Willis

Pack #4
    Vinny Curry
    Kendall Wright 1957 version
    Matt Ryan
    Robert Mathis

Pack #5
    Jarius Wright
    Cyrus Gray
    Whitney Mercilus Refractor Prisim
    Torry Smith

Pack # 6
    Brandon Boykin -
    ANDREW LUCK Refractor 60/40 LR and 50/50 TB
    DeMarucs Ware

Pack #7
    LaMichael James
    Dwayne Allen 1984 version
    Jordy Nelson
    Megatron
    Alfozo Denard -

Never would have known about the Luck if I did not go to this site

Text
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Wow, FavreFan, nice blaster. Two Lucks...what LUCK!! Glad you vintage guys are enjoying this product. It really is one of the funnest modern football product to break and has by far the best ROI. For those not in the know, Topps is sending out a pack of "Blue Wave" with every redemption giving the redemptions a little extra value.

Topps info on Blue Wave packs

Also, this one of the only products that retail is just as good, if not better than hobby. If you are looking to purchase retail, you can buy directly from Topps online while they last. Tax free too! I recommend the racks but blasters are just as good.

Topps Chrome Rack packs
  • Options
    Aric, you just made my day! I have been waiting for someone to release a Josh Gordon rookie card and he will be included in the Blue Wave set. I cant wait to get my hands on a few of those.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    I had the same problem with the scratches FarveFan.....I thought it was odd too. That's gotta be some sort of packing issue.
  • Options
    I bought some blasters and one rack pack (cause that's all they had) from Target tonight. Definitely fun opening. Got some Luck's and Griffin's but nothing great. Would love to crack open a case of this.
    Looking to buy/trade for any Holman Moody (NASCAR) related items you may have.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, FavreFan, nice blaster. Two Lucks...what LUCK!! Glad you vintage guys are enjoying this product. It really is one of the funnest modern football product to break and has by far the best ROI. For those not in the know, Topps is sending out a pack of "Blue Wave" with every redemption giving the redemptions a little extra value.

Topps info on Blue Wave packs

Also, this one of the only products that retail is just as good, if not better than hobby. If you are looking to purchase retail, you can buy directly from Topps online while they last. Tax free too! I recommend the racks but blasters are just as good.

Topps Chrome Rack packs >>

I received a Stephen Hill 1957 Topps Auto redemption in a Blaster.
    I offered it on ebay a few times and no one wanted it so I redeemed it.
    I guess I will get one of those "BlueWave" packs too.

Also got a Stephen Hill Die cut 31/50 And an Andrew Luck 1984

I do not buy a lot of Football but I like these cards.

I may pick up a Hobby box tomorrow at a local show or maybe a Bowman Draft BB.

Joe
  • Options
    I am looking for any colored refractor cards of Kellen Moore. Particularly the blue/199. LMK if you guys hit any and want to move em. Thanks
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I Did VERY will with it.

Bought 1 full hobby box and about 2 boxes worth of random packs

Autos were
    S Hill Rookie Variation Auto
    Weeden Variation Auto
    Tannehill 1957 Auto
    TJ Graham Auto

Auto Redemptions
    Russell Wilson
    Mark Baron
    Stephen Hill
    1957 Stephen Hill
  • Options
    I am getting the itch to buy a box or two. Some nice breaks shared on here. Are all the rookie autos "on card" autographs?
  • Options
    No....they are not all on card autos. I heard through Facebook that all the "SP" versions are sticker autos. I have pulled a Joe Adams reg RC auto(on card)(don't remember if it's serial numbered) a Joe Adams Refractor RC (on card) (this one is serial numbered) and a Tannehill SP Refractor RC (sticker) (not serial numbered). If that theory is true or not, I'm not sure, just what I heard through the grapevine.

• Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>I am getting the itch to buy a box or two. Some nice breaks shared on here. Are all the rookie autos "on card" autographs? >>

All true RC's are on card.
    The Rookie Variations I have seen have been stickers.

This '57 Tannehill was on card

• Options
    JLZ, you opened 3 boxes and got 8 autos?!?

Autos were
    Weeden Variation Auto
    Tannehill 1957 Auto
    TJ Graham Auto

Auto Redemptions
    Russell Wilson
    Mark Baron
    Stephen Hill
    1957 Stephen Hill
  • Options

<< <i>JLZ, you opened 3 boxes and got 8 autos?!?

Autos were
    Weeden Variation Auto
    Tannehill 1957 Auto
    TJ Graham Auto

Auto Redemptions
    Russell Wilson
    Mark Baron
    Stephen Hill
    1957 Stephen Hill >>

1 full box, pack wars with another (1/2 box) and around 50 loose packs from different shops
  • Options
    what a great year for Football Cards!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought a least a case of Topps Chrome since 2008. I have a 2012 case still sitting in my office waiting to be cracked over the holidays. Based on what I've read here, I can't wait to start!

Based on what I've seen here is how I rank the Chrome products:

4. 2009 Topps Chrome
    I opened 18 boxes and took a beating. The rookie class is shallow with only 1-2 decent players at each key offensive position and not many good defensive plays. The inserts aren't really that interesting and there aren't a lot of refractors.

3. 2010 Topps Chrome
    I opened 15 boxes and did OK. The deep rookie class helped. The TE uprising last year and Tebowmania helped me recoup a nice chunk of my cost. I like the look of the cards and the Bowman Chrome insert was great. My only compliant, and it is a big one, is that the quality control was weaker than in previous years. I got many miscut and offcentered cards plus they had this white powder film.

2. 2008 Topps Chrome
    I opened 20 boxes and did great. The rookie class is deep at the key positions and has many top stars. There is a lot of value here with each box having a gold refractor box topper. The inserts are top notch, the NFL Dynasty insert is one of the better non-rookie sets to collect. The Flight to 420 Favre inserts always sell well. The black finish is nice and the cards grade well. I pulled two Matt Ryan refractor autos out of one case and 4-6 of each top rookie.

1. 2011 Topps Chrome
    I opened 12 boxes and this is by far my favorite product. It has a very good rookie class, maybe second after the 2008, it may get better if the QBs bounce back. The inserts are rookie heavy which adds more value and the refractor line-up is deep. Unlike other 2011 product, I pulled decent autos from this product and did not end up with a string of Bilal Powells and Delone Carters (I know Bilal looked good on Sunday). I must have had a hot case because I pulled a Cam Newton Red Refractor Auto, Blaine Gabbert refractor, Kyle Rudolph, DeMarco Murray, and Michael LeShoure.

From what I read the 2012 product should just be as good. I usually buy one case of Finest and Chrome every year. Finest has really stunk for me, so I may just double up on Chrome going forward.

I am sorting through all my extra singles and will start a trade thread for people to complete sets. The collation on the cases isn't that great since I am short on singles for each year's set.
    Mike
  • Options
    Does anyone notice how most all the '84 reprints are tilted. I have been trying to pick up some well centered cards for submission, but I have noticed alot of the refractors from the '84 set tilt downward left to right.
  • Options
    Does anyone know a link to any information about the per pack odds of getting various cards?

Are the orange refractors and xfractors only in retail boxes? I opened 4 hobby boxes and didn't get any despite the fact that they are not numbered (presumably less scarce).

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know a link to any information about the per pack odds of getting various cards?

Are the orange refractors and xfractors only in retail boxes? I opened 4 hobby boxes and didn't get any despite the fact that they are not numbered (presumably less scarce).

Thanks,
    Paul >>

Orange come in racks. Its a 3 card pack.

Xfractors might be retail only as I've pulled a ton of them from blasters and racks.

I have around 80 orange, xfractors, camos, refractors, purple, pink, black, that I am trying to get rid of. If anyone is interested send me a pm.
  • Options
    Anyone working on orange, purple or black refractor sets?
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I bought a few packs at the local B&M tonight, and got this one (apologies for a crappy iPhone pic):

• Options
    Opened one more box last night, very weird collation for me. 3.5 boxes opened total and 3-4 of many many players and zero of many others (only 1 RG3 and 1 Luck - the SP tho). Are you guys finding the collation odd too? Or just coincidence?

Autos so far are Matt kalil, Alshon Jeffrey, and Jordan criner. Mehhh
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    anyone trading? Let me know what you are looking for.

Thanks
    Waalt
  • Options
    As far as the collation goes I for one am finding it just as bad. I've opened at least 5 boxes and oddly enough I'm still waiting to pull my first Luck. I've only pulled one Griffin, and it's the 1957 version...no base of him either yet.
  • Options
    So bizarre on the collation bc I thought these days base cards are pretty clearly perfectly collated and spread out. I do guess some guys are pulling tons of luck and griffins since they can't be actually less. Unbelievably through 8.5 me and you have pulled one griffin
  • Options
    The collation thing seems very strange to me....guess unless we know better we just blame it on having no Luck.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2012 Finest collation was bad as well. I opened 12 boxes and received 1 Luck and 1 Griffin, but 10 Chris Raineys (this years Bilal Powell for me). Beckett speculated that Luck and Griffin were shortprinted.
    Mike
  • Options
    I have yet to pull a Luck or RG3 from a pack, I resorted to ebay and picked up a few refractors.
  • Options
    I only opened 2 hobby boxes, and didn't pull a Luck of any sort. I pulled maybe 2 RGIII base. I have 3 base Luck RCs and an 84, and a 65 insert....all retail pulls. I probably have 5 RGIIIs at PSA now....well, in January I will. and only one Luck. The other Luck RCs all have corner issues and probably would grade no higher than 8. They all seemed to be well centered though. I did notice the refractor cards being horribly centered, which, in my experience, is new from the past 3 years. I also have a ton of certain RCs, and base, and seemed to only pull one or a few of others. Eh well. Whatya do? Keep in mind guys, that Davemri is putting the Camo set together with his son, If you have any you want to move, he may be the person to contact. Happy ripping!...oh, and Merry Christmas to you all.
  • Options
    My son got a Target blaster in his stocking. A fun rip for him. A refractor in every pack- 3 reg, 3 xfrac, purple Greg Jennings, and a blue Clay Matthews along with a RG III base rc.

If anybody is team trading- I'm putting together Raiders(for me)/Redskins(for my son) base/reg. refractor team sets.
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I just got my Stephen Hill redemption from Topps with the Blue Wave pack.

I think it has been about 7 months but worth the wait.

Very nice cards and a little luck not Andrew though,

Joe

imageimage

imageimage