Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Rack Packs and Headers

I've been watching ebay and other sources for 1971 rack packs for awhile now. It seems like the vast majority of the ones that turn up have the "player card" header, rather than the normal yellow header card. Is it generally accepted that the yellow header is harder to find for 1971? I'm not fond of the "player card" header. Is there any perceived difference in value between the two?

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've been looking too. I saw tons of yellow header racks when I was a kid, and am skeptical of the player header ones.
    Grocery cellos were initially accepted as well, and the Xmas reracks. I'd prefer to stick to what I know is legit.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been looking too. I saw tons of yellow header racks when I was a kid, and am skeptical of the player header ones.
    Grocery cellos were initially accepted as well, and the Xmas reracks. I'd prefer to stick to what I know is legit. >>

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    To the best of my knowledge, both yellow-header and actual card headers are valid.

I am sure that I bought both as a child, and Steve Hart verifies both as legitimate.

Dave
  • Options
    i cant find them anywhere!
    eBay you say?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem the player card header versions are more common. I'm not sure how the distribution was back in the day as it was before I started collecting. It might be that collectors hoard the yellow header versions and resell the player card versions making it look like the player card versions are much more plentiful. The guy I bought the '71 racks from had auctioned 2-3 racks on eBay before I got to him. They all had the yellow header card. I talked to one of the winning bidders and he said the pack had Rose showing on the back. Incidentally, the seller did not mention that fact in the auction description and only provided a scan of the front of the rack. A great score for the winner who got the pack for a measly $580.
  • Options

<< <i>It does seem the player card header versions are more common. I'm not sure how the distribution was back in the day as it was before I started collecting. It might be that collectors hoard the yellow header versions and resell the player card versions making it look like the player card versions are much more plentiful. The guy I bought the '71 racks from had auctioned 2-3 racks on eBay before I got to him. They all had the yellow header card. I talked to one of the winning bidders and he said the pack had Rose showing on the back. Incidentally, the seller did not mention that fact in the auction description and only provided a scan of the front of the rack. A great score for the winner who got the pack for a measly $580. >>

I was the one who snagged that ’71 Rose Rack, Gemint. I actually payed 500 for it but the Rose has a slight loader mark on the back. That guy was a coin dealer selling some cards for a friend. He had a ’71 listed on ebay for 500. Nobody bit I think in part because he was a Coin guy selling a 71 out of nowhere. I emailed him about it and he sent me a scan of 8 ’71 racks. One had the Rose on back and another had a Blyleven showing. I put $3200 in his paypal for all of them in a blink (I negotiated 400 a rack)...he got spooked and sent the money back claiming his friend didn’t agree. I didn’t blame him. But since he had no takers on his first listing, I got him to sell me the Rose for $500. He went quiet for a few months. Then I saw another ’71 rack pop up. I sniped that one for $530. I knew these were the REAL DEAL and he had more. Gemint, you were the lucky one snagging the other 6 if i am not mistaken. Have you sold them? Willing to sell?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    As a kid I do not remember the racks with a "player card" header. All I remember (I was born in'58) was the normal yellow header card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It does seem the player card header versions are more common. I'm not sure how the distribution was back in the day as it was before I started collecting. It might be that collectors hoard the yellow header versions and resell the player card versions making it look like the player card versions are much more plentiful. The guy I bought the '71 racks from had auctioned 2-3 racks on eBay before I got to him. They all had the yellow header card. I talked to one of the winning bidders and he said the pack had Rose showing on the back. Incidentally, the seller did not mention that fact in the auction description and only provided a scan of the front of the rack. A great score for the winner who got the pack for a measly $580. >>

I was the one who snagged that ’71 Rose Rack, Gemint. I actually payed 500 for it but the Rose has a slight loader mark on the back. That guy was a coin dealer selling some cards for a friend. He had a ’71 listed on ebay for 500. Nobody bit I think in part because he was a Coin guy selling a 71 out of nowhere. I emailed him about it and he sent me a scan of 8 ’71 racks. One had the Rose on back and another had a Blyleven showing. I put $3200 in his paypal for all of them in a blink (I negotiated 400 a rack)...he got spooked and sent the money back claiming his friend didn’t agree. I didn’t blame him. But since he had no takers on his first listing, I got him to sell me the Rose for $500. He went quiet for a few months. Then I saw another ’71 rack pop up. I sniped that one for $530. I knew these were the REAL DEAL and he had more. Gemint, you were the lucky one snagging the other 6 if i am not mistaken. Have you sold them? Willing to sell? >>

Good to hear from you again. The story I got was that he bought a house from the family of a retired card dealer who was put in a home. The house was full of cards, his old shop inventory, and the family thought it was junk. He had everything in his coin shop when I went there. He was a tough guy to get hold of. Luckily I'm within driving distance of his shop. I went there and waited for 30 minutes before he called to say he was on his way. Turned out to be a nice guy and reasonable to work with. He only had four '71 racks left when I got to him. If he had more, I would have bought them all! I opened one that was splitting between the pockets and got a nice Rose. I posted the break video on Youtube.

1971 Rack Pocket One
    Pocket Two
    Pocket Three

I also got to pick up three '75 football racks, a bunch of '79 and '80 wax boxes as well as some 80s wax like '82T and '84D and I snagged those too. He had nice '75 and '76 baseball complete sets and a bunch of opened '74 and '76 wax boxes with mint cards sitting in them. I bought everything that was worth getting.
  • Options
    Gemint, that was a good find. Bustin' a ’71 Rack should be viral. I’ll check it out. I read these boards just never post much. I should start posting some pics.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Great video's, I don't know how I missed seeing them before today. Did you send the cards to PSA and if so, what kind of grades did you get?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>Great video's, I don't know how I missed seeing them before today. Did you send the cards to PSA and if so, what kind of grades did you get? >>

No I haven't subbed them yet. Will probably do so in March. I'll post the results when they grade out. After louping the cards, there are probably two to three 9 candidates. The Rose will likely 8 or 8.5 due to the chipping.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Great video's, I don't know how I missed seeing them before today. Did you send the cards to PSA and if so, what kind of grades did you get? >>

No I haven't subbed them yet. Will probably do so in March. I'll post the results when they grade out. After loupinf the cards, there are probably two to three 9 candidates. The Rose will likely 8 or 8.5 due to the chipping. >>

I did notice once you saw that Rose, you hand started to shake a bit...LOL. That Rose looked good to me. Hopefully you get the 8.5.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    If the Rose comes back an 8.5 that would more than pay for the rack you opened...Good Luck!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>I did notice once you saw that Rose, you hand started to shake a bit...LOL. That Rose looked good to me. Hopefully you get the 8.5. >>

I didn't shake as bad as when I had to take the scissors to the pockets and avoid clipping the cards! I was so enamored with the quality of the preceding Davanon card that I didn't notice the Rose. My buddy was there when I opened the pack and he said he was motioning to my wife that I got a good card. He's a big Rose fan.
  • Options
    Okay, I finally got around to submitting the 1971s from my rack pack rip (see links above for video of me ripping the pack. Not a single 9. Goes to show how tough it is to get 9s on '71s. Pete got an 8. I was hoping for higher but figured the chipping would keep it an 8. Catfish was "trimmed". I regret trimming that card shortly after I pulled it from the pack! image I may resub a few, definitely the Hunter. On another note, I did get an 8 and 7 on the two '65 commons I submitted from the bogus 1965 nickel wax pack I opened.

328 1 21246530 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1971 TOPPS 2 DOCK ELLIS Card
    329 1 21246531 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 8 MIKE McQUEEN Card
    330 1 21246532 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 10 CLAUDE OSTEEN Card
    331 1 21246533 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 13 WHITE SOX ROOKIES C.BRINKMAN/D.MOLONEY Card
    332 1 21246534 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 27 PIRATES ROOKIES F.CAMBRIA/G.CLINES Card
    333 1 21246535 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 30 PHIL NIEKRO Card
    334 1 21246536 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 31 EDDIE KASKO Card
    335 1 21246537 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 32 JERRY DaVANON Card
    336 1 21246538 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 43 STEVE KEALEY Card
    337 1 21246539 N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1971 TOPPS 45 JIM HUNTER Card
    338 1 21246540 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 47 JOHNNY JETER Card
    339 1 21246541 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 57 VON JOSHUA Card
    340 1 21246542 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 88 HAL KING Card
    341 1 21246543 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 98 JOE DECKER Card
    342 1 21246544 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 99 MARK BELANGER Card
    343 1 21246545 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 100 PETE ROSE Card
    344 1 21246546 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 101 LES CAIN Card
    345 1 21246547 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 102 ASTROS ROOKIES K.FORSCH/L.HOWARD Card
    346 1 21246548 NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1971 TOPPS 104 DAN FRISELLA Card
    347 1 21246549 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 107 ROY FOSTER Card
    348 1 21246550 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 112 MANNY MOTA Card
    349 1 21246551 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 122 EDDIE WATT Card
  • Options
    Wow nice sub but I figured some would be higher too. Did the graders watch the videos?
    I've watch those videos at least ten times each - love 'em.
    Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun to rip for sure! Nice job on the Pete!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Gemint--

I actually enjoyed the card and guitar videos. You obviously share my two passions as well. I am a huge Ace Frehley fan so I fully endorse the Les Paul/Marshall combo. Oh nice Rose too! m/

Matt
  • Options

<< <i> Catfish was "trimmed". I regret trimming that card shortly after I pulled it from the pack! image >>

lol
  • Options

<< <i>Catfish was "trimmed". I regret trimming that card shortly after I pulled it from the pack! >>

I really advise against doing that in your sleep. One, it's dangerous and two, you should know that
    the PSA graders are expert at spotting that kind of thing.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis