Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

P. O. R. ???

Sorry, meant to post this on the U.S. Coin forum but I'm sure someone can give me a reasonable answer over here too. Thanks in advance.

This may be dumb question but here it goes anyway...What is the reasoning behind dealers putting P.O.R. instead of the actual price they want for certain coins in their listings? Why not just list the price instead of making us contact them if we are interested. I'm sure there is a logical answer so give it to me. . .Please!

Sign: Pissed Off Rick

Comments

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to Piss Us Off as You are.
      Really I have No Idea but when I see it the Item Goes on Ignore. My Only Guess is that Maybe the Item has been in Stock for Ages and They Will take a Reasonable Offer if You Call.
        Heres another Idea. Maybe the Price they want is so Un-reasonable that they are Ashamed to Post it for Public Viewing.image
          Ken
        1. Options
          DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Dear pissed off Rick,

You will REALLY be pissed off when you call and find out what they are asking. That's why the don't put it in the ad. They feel like if they get you on the phone they can talk you into it. Sometimes it works. I guess it works enough so that they keep on doing it.

Doug "non-plussed by POR ads" Wright
          Doug
        2. Options
          TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Dealers will also put "POR" in their ads either in print or on the web because the market is not always rock steady for certain coins. I'm not saying this as a defense for the action, I don't like it at all, what I am saying is that some dealers will use the "POR" shield to manipulate the price of a coin based upon whom it is that is asking for it. I generally stay away from dealers that habitually list coins on their web sites as "POR". You will notice that it is usually the PCGS coins that get this treatment because these dealers know the Registry.
          Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

3. Options
          michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
          the dealers are fishing for the biggest fish they can SNAG with a rope and a hook which in the coin industry is talk!!! but with the unregulated unpoliced "uncertified" coin industry anything goes~!! sincerely michael
        4. Options
          dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
          morons........
          Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
        5. Options
          pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
          guess im a moron cause I never did find out what that translates to.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
        6. Options
          What does "POR" mean? My guess is it does not refer to "Pissed Off Rick", or does it? image
          currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
          Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
          Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
          Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
          Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
        7. Options
          crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
          Pretty much a bit of everything above :

P.O.R. Price On Request
          Lobster on a menu: Market Value
          Give us a call, we'd be glad to talk to you...
          "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
        8. Options
          The dealers use the "POR" because they do not want other dealers to snipe them on prices, without "POR" any dealer can underbid any dealer with a posted price and tell the potential customer that he's giving him a better deal than dealer so-n-so and have proof.
          At least this is how it is in other markets.image
          SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIUM ERUDITIONIS HABES

Looking for Low Grade PCGS Half Dimes.
        9. Options
          Well, I am just going right out and editing my website! I can put a price there, but put POR there because I didn't know what price to ask for. I guess if there is interest I would have to figure that out at some point anyway.

While researching what my coin had gone for at auction I realized I paid too much. I wasn't sure exactly how much of a bath I need to take.

Why don't people bargain more? I was hoping someone would write and make an offer. I guess I'm getting lazy because I don't have to come up with exact prices when selling something on eBay.

Don't you all have a price in mind when you look for a coin?
        10. Options
          LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
          I know Numismatic News has a cheaper section in which you can advertise your coins. The maximum ask price for each coin advertised is $100. Some times dealers there will put P.O.R. because they'd want a few dollars more than $100.

My general rule is... If you have to ask, it's too much.

David
        11. Options
          supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
          In my opinion, the seller should set a price because:

1. The seller has decided to sell the coin, presumably after doing some market research, so share that research.

2. There's one seller and many potential buyers -- much more efficient for the seller to set a starting price than have a bunch of buyers have to guess or call and waste their time if it's not in their range.

3. The seller has the coin sitting in front of them and has a better idea what it's like compared to others, and whether a discount or premium is justified.

4. POR pisses people off. image I routinely avoid any seller that won't set a price if there's any alternative.

If you're not sure about exact price, far better to say something like $1500 OBO. That gives buyers an idea as to what you might think is a reasonable offer, and also gives them a "buy it now" price so they know you're not just fishing around.
        12. Options
          Thanks gang! I've changed my ways.

I have learned so much from these forums. I really appreciate all the info, opinions and scans! Keep it up!
        13. Options
          Thanks for all the responses to this thread. I for one tend to move on when I see P.O.R. unless it is a must have coin and I can't find it anywhere else. Then I'll go through the motions of finding out what the dealer wants. However for you dealers out there I pass on many coins that interest me and may buy if the price is right simply because I can look elsewhere and find the same coin with a price listed. Judging from the other posts I would think that a lot of business is lost because you feel the need not to list your asking price. Just one man's opinion. image
        14. Options
          wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
          I'll give you guys my perspective on it with an example, as I use the POR on my websites.

A few minutes ago I just visited a very popular site for registry coins (and a site I have made several purchases from myself this year).

At that site, that dealer lists a North Carolina quarter in PCGS-MS68 at $380. And, it is possible that weeks of time could have elapsed from the time someone sent that dealer that coin to list on his site at that price or that dealer bought the coin in the marketplace weeks ago. And, while I have no doubt NC quarters in PCGS-MS68 probably sold at that $380 level many times in the past and perhaps even at far higher levels, imho, the "market" on that particular coin TODAY is no longer a $380 level (just my own opinion here). Indeed, that particular state in that grade is currently indicated on my sites today at $145 (with several examples ready to ship), because I personally believe the price has stabilized around that level and I am comfortable "indicating" the coin at that level. But, if I was not comfortable indicating the coin at $145, I would also have no problem listing the coin at P.O.R. and if, and when, I got an inquiry on that coin, I could price it at what I believe the market is the day the buyer asked me about it. IMHO, I do not believe it is "better" to simply list the coin at $380 or $500 and wait for serious buyers to write me to haggle over price. First, many collectors may not be comfortable attempting to haggle down a $380 or $500 indicated price down to $250, $200 or even $145. Second, collectors may not appreciate prices on sites changing every day or week, up or down, like a moving target. If collectors are offended by the POR indication, then I lose a sale - but I personally like that better than throwing up on the site a "high ball" figure like "$500 OBO", even if I invite collectors to couteroffer me.

Just my 2 cents. image Wondercoin
          Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
        15. Options
          braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Two for two (strike outs). I thought this was going to be a Thread on my favorite low grade (PO01) coins. . .

peacockcoins

16. Options
          dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Mitch--

That is enlightening. That may be the way it goes on your site, but let me tell you about perception (and marketing, after all, is about perception, not intention).

I certainly haven't studied your site in detail, but when I have gone there (primarily to investigate your Lincolns), the POR coins have always looked like the high-priced condition rarities. The inference I have gotten from your selecting those coins for POR is that those are the ones you want to draw bids and make the big bucks on, and that the price pressure on those items was up, not down. Usually when I've seen POR, I've read it like others here ("If you have to ask..."), and have moved on to other sources. When I have contacted you about coins, it has always been for the ones with price tags.

Like I say, this may have been my misperception. But you oughta know what at least some of us customers read into "POR." Frankly, I presume you have a price in mind when you post a coin, and I'd like some notion of what that is, before I initiate a contact.

I agree with Akrick, that you and other sellers probably do lose business because of POR listings (even though, for all I know, you may GAIN business from other types of people).

As justification for this personal reaction, I agree with Tad's rationale. I also appreciate Carl's revisiting his policy as a result of this thread.
        17. Options
          Dpoole: No doubt POR pricing involves coins moving in BOTH directions. For example, on several of my MS Kennedys I have POR pricing and, no question, the direction on those coins has generally been up of late. But, even consider an upward moving market for a moment. As I recall, I have a POR price on the 2000(d) Kennedy in PCGS-MS67. Last sale on ebay just a few days ago was close to $700 delivered!!! What would I gain by setting my site indication at $675 or "$675 OBO" on that coin based upon the last "true" sale (besides, of course, someone actually buying the coin at that high level)? Sure, that might invite haggling (which could possibly benefit the buyer) - no question, but it might also result in me getting far greater money ($450 real price on the 2000(d) Kennedy today vs. a listing at $675 let's say) than I would otherwise quote as well. But, I believe it is just as easy to state the price on the day of the inquiry if I still have the coin available - like today, I have a 2000(d) Kennedy in stock and ready to ship and I would quote the price at $450 if anyone cared to ask. That is $225 less than the last sales price on ebay this week and if a Kennedy collector felt it might be still too expensive (no argument from me), he could STILL counteroffer me if he chose to - right?

Obviously, the consensus appears to be that listing POR on sites may likely lose sales. I, for one, hear that loud and clear, but may still personally chose to do it that way, along with myriad other dealers and collectors. But, knowing how many of you feel may lead me to probably price those "close calls" where I could have listed it POR or not. Wondercoin.
          Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
        18. Options
          Personally, I prefer not to see the POR sign on a coin. I agree that the market for a coin can move both ways, but I would rather see a price for a piece when I visit a website. I have talked with some dealers who I have never done business with, because after inquiring on their prices, I found that they didn't care what the market for the piece I needed was, but was pricing the coins 2 to 3 times current E-Bay and Teletrade prices. Had I known up front that the dealer was trying to gouge on the coins in inventory, I never would have wasted the time with him. Even after he swore that this was the "market price."

Keith
          Keith ™

19. Options
          I read an interesting commentary in Coin World severl weeks/months ago. The short version was just call the dealer and inquire about the coin. After enough calls the dealers who get annoyed with all of the call and no sales will drop the POR.

My experience with a few, I think was more to build their client base. After they got my name and number (they had to get the coin from the vault or some other BS) I am now on their mailing list. I've even gotten some dealers to sell it to me at my price. It's just a pain in the A$$.

Rich
        20. Options
          khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
          I don't like POR, but then I'm an introvert and don't like
          to talk to people I don't know if I don't have to.

I also don't like being put on the spot; being told the price
          of the coin and feeling like I have five seconds to decide if
          I want it at that price.

If I do pass, now I feel the dealer has me pegged as someone
          who couldn't afford the coin in question and I might not get
          proper attention from him in the future (i.e. how many POR inquiries
          can you make before you're considered a window-shopper?)

I also like to keep track of the market price of coins I collect
          and it's hard to do when you don't get to witness what a coin sold
          for because it was listed as POR.

Just my opinion,
          -KHayse
        21. Options
          TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
          Whether true or not, when I see a POR I believe that the dealer is looking for much more than the current market price for the grade. Maybe the coin is a PQ, or maybe the dealer paid too much himself. Either way, unless I am willing to pay well over market, or really want a date, I usually don't call on POR coins. Can't recall ever buying a POR coin. Would rather see a higher price and a good description of why the coin is priced there. Don't mind price changes, unless I try to buy at the advertised price, can't buy it, and then the dealer lists an even higher price the next day. Don't believe it? I has happened to me several times.

Greg
        22. Options
          As I agree for the most part with the opinions expressed here on P.O.R. listings, I also can understand the dealers perspective. Some do use it as a tool to snag you, but there are others, and Mitch is one, that seems more than fair about it. When I first called him on a couple of coins which were listed P.O.R. and knew what I was willing to pay for the particular coin, to my surprise he wanted much less than the other dealers I had called on the same coin, plus after receiving it, got a nicer surprise as the coin was very nice, and not like some of the crap I've received from other dealers that contained spots, flaws, or overall lousy eye appeal. So It all boils down to who you like to deal with, and who you don't. It's called the Dealer game. Some are hard core salesmen at heart, and couldn't care less how happy you are, and others DO care, and are more then happy to work with you. If you get the coin, and aren't happy with it, you get to return it, giving the dealer youre trying to work with, a better perspective on what you like and don't like, thus the next time, a GOOD dealer will make sure not to send you the type of coins he knows you won't be interested in. That's been my experience with not only Mitch, but a couple of other dealers I've grown to like. Their not just interested in making a sale, but getting you what your looking for, and helping you out. I don't know about the rest of you here, but when I find someone like that, I'm very appreciative, and when I find out about the other type of dealers, I write them off my list, and then tell them why, so IF they care, maybe they'll work harder at trying to please their customer base more than lining their pockets. As a p.o.r. maybe irritating when your just window shopping for the best price, the market tends to go up and down on an almost daily basis, but if it's exactly what your looking for, and call to find out more about it you might be pleasantly surprised. Afterall, theres a high end MS67 example, and theres the low end. What coin are you looking for? Personally, I don't want a coin with problems, even if it's the date I need, and in order to find that out, weather the price is listed or not, you still have to call and ask questions anyway. Right? I know I'm going to get a lot of flak about this, but again, it's IMO, and just like you, that's my right. I'd like to see a little more understanding of someone elses side of things, and a lot less critical comments. This is a place to share thoughts in a respectful manner, in order to learn, and have FUN right guys?image I have a lot of personal problems that I come to this board to help forget, even for a little while, and bickering doesn't make it me feel any better. Be respectful of others, and you will in turn get respect in the long run.
          Recpectfully,
          Jackie
          Our Vets deserve the BEST!
          Upgrading:
          PCGS Registery "Lambert Collections" of; Wheat Lincolns, Sac's, and SAE's.
        23. Options
          Thanks for the comments Jackie. image

I personally find that another good reason to use the POR is for coins that are extremely popular and priced right (such as some Lincolns) so as to not dissapoint anyone who sees the coin on your site only to discover the coin has been sold. A perfect example of this is when I graded a handful of 1952(d) Lincolns in PCGS-MS67RD a year or so ago and priced them "right" on my site. They were gone quickly but the price remained on the site longer than it should have and I know it dissapointed a couple collectors who spotted the great deal but couldn't obtain a coin. Incidently, my webmaster from the inception of my site is a retired friend, an older gentleman, who quit often battles pneumonia (from a lung disorder) and winds up in the hospital for extended periods of time. While he does a great job handling things on the site, I know that there is always chance he could get sick. It is easier to have some of the coins POR for this reason as well.

In the case of my sites, it could never really be a case of "bait and switch" anyway, as right on my homepage I make it clear that many key date coins in each series never even make it on the site and to email me with any want lists, which many people, like Jackie, happliy do image Wondercoin.

24. Options
          It translates to "poorly over rated" you need to call so they can give you the BS about these coins to see how much of a sucker you are.... when I see these ads most coins I called on in the past were all over priced, now days I dont waste my or the dealers time calling on those coins listed as P.O.R. I just pass them all by. My choice.

I prefer to see it as an honest sale, not trying to wait and make a killing. Its part of the hobby that keeps some people intimidated by having to ask on a coin they know will be expensive. If more things did not have prices on them how long till you got tired of asking the price of all things you looked at? Sure its only a few when you see the POR.

If a dealer wants to list their inventory that way they have their own reasons for doing so, and even though I dont agree with it, I personally just over look the listings that are listed as POR.

sometimes you like to window shop without having to deal with having to ask the price.

PS, Mitch to your PM question, on "poorly over rated" no not your site.... but yes to others.image
        25. Options
          ~~In the case of my sites, it could never really be a case of "bait and switch" anyway, as right on my homepage I make it clear that many key date coins in each series never even make it on the site~~

Wondercoin, here is what disturbs me about POR. About a year ago, I was looking for a complete set of Roosevelt 1946-1964 MS67, and I saw this ad on your site:

COMPLETE COLLECTION OF PCGS ROOSEVELT SILVER DIMES DATED 1946-1964 AND GRADING PCGS-MS67!!! REGISTRY QUALITY!! Here is a 48 pc. Roosevelt Silver Dime Collection grading PCGS-MS67 and dated 1946. The set contains the complete regular issues for those dates (no overdates, sms or errors of course) totaling 48 pieces and every coin is graded PCGS-MS67!! As importantly, these coins have been hand-picked for their EXCEPTIONAL quality and appeal. Many will be full blazers or pretty toned and many will also be "full band" (i.e. fully struck reverse)!!! I personally believe Roosevelt dimes should have a similar designation to Mercury Dimes to address the horizontal reverse bands. I have found that numerous dated Roosevelts in high grade full band are actually quite elusive. In any event, offered here is a top quality complete PCGS-MS67 dime collection. Only one set available so please e-mail me to confirm availability. P.O.R.

I e-mailed immediately. The response I got was that you could build one for me for $10,000. I e-mailed back complaining and asking whether or not you had one in inventory ready to ship. You did not reply. I found a complete set within a week and purchased it for $8,000.00.

Almost one year later, this ad is still on your site, although the site purports to have been updated 4/1/02. To me this is a form of "bait and switch" which is repeatedly used by retailers who use POR. They don't actually have what is advertised, but if they find out someone is looking for it, they try to go out and get it. What this means to me is that while I am out looking for a coin or a set, now I have someone else looking for the same thing who will buy it and tack on a premium.

Doug
        26. Options
          "I e-mailed immediately. The response I got was that you could build one for me for $10,000. I e-mailed back complaining and asking whether or not you had one in inventory ready to ship. You did not reply. I found a complete set within a week and purchased it for $8,000.00"

Doug: FYI, my comment that I could build you one for $10,000 was from available coins. As you may know, I registered the #1 MS Roosevelt silver Dime set in the 1999 PCGS Registry after spending a decade (I'm glad you found yours in a day) searching for coins for my #1 set, roll after roll, show after show, slab after slab, raw collection after raw collection. Naturally, I acquired a large quantity of nice MS Roosevelts in my pursuit. But, I don't "slop together" these sets and this is an item where price changes on a regular basis - hence the POR. I have sold (2) sets this year already. At this point, it would be a harder task to produce a 3rd set, so I will delete that offering on my sites. Just PM me with this next time. Thank you. image Wondercoin.
        27. Options
          That's the point I am making. Why don't you just put what you just said in your advertisement? It would be more genuine and honest, and you might still sell one for $10,000.00. It sound like a helluva better story to me. All I know was that I was hot to buy a set and had the cash to do it. I felt jerked around after inquiring, which made me not want to buy one from you even if you could have put together one. I left thinking "why did I respond to one of those stupid POR ads, because I know better."

I'm not picking on you per se, because I experienced this several times on other coins and sets with other dealers before I responded to your ad. Each time, I was left disappointed, and felt like the seller was trying to pull a fast one. There is another name for this form of adverising, but it is referred to as "bait and switch" generally.

Doug
        28. Options
          Doug: Again, glad you brought this to my attention. Of course, you were offered nothing else by me after you inquired on the set, so I guess I win the award for worst marketing tactics - forget "bait and switch". image Wondercoin.
        29. Options
          DRGDRG Posts: 818
          I think I'm with the majority here. I don't think I have ever responded to a POR add. I see them, assume the worst and move on. I guess I might respond to a must have coin, but probably not.
          (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
        30. Options
          Wow!!! Thanks for all your opinions on POR. I still haven't changed my mind about dealers who use it but must admit some of you have given good reasons why you choose to do so. I will be sending this thread to a few dealers that I think tend to over use it. Ideal Rare Coins being one of them. Thanks again!

Rick