Home Precious Metals
Options

Canadian Gold in Mint Bags

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
This thread in the Coin Forum is worth your consideration.

Canadian Gold is being sold from Original Mint Bags
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... because we're all collectors at heart, and will pay a premium to melt for "neat" metal objects

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Yep, the collector in us pops out when you least expect it.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... because we're all collectors at heart, and will pay a premium to melt for "neat" metal objects >>

Absolutely!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    I ordered a 1913 $5 piece and a 1914 $10 piece. I am very excited and anxiously awaiting the coins, some people got a real rip if they got any 1914 $5 pieces for $500, even the $875 premium coins were a bargain. Before ordering these coins the only canadian gold in my collection was a 1914 $5 piece in a PCGS OGH MS-60 that I paid $900 for about a year ago.

Forgot to add that I purchased the $500 $5 coin and the $1,000 $10 coin, not much above melt for a nice collectible coin seems like a great deal to me!!!image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    There sure are a lot of sold out coins. Not a bad price for old goldimage
    Becky
  • Options
    I bought a 1913 $10.
    I remember seeing it here (I don't remember who posted it, maybe DoubleEagle59) and got impressed by the shield.
    The I found out that my dad owns one, he seems to have any type of gold coin! image

Anyhow, let's see when it arrives if its quality is good as we think.

One thing I didn't understand. What makes a hoard special, the fact that they didn't circulate at all?
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    What makes a hoard special, the fact that they didn't circulate at all?

Just the fact that we can now buy 100-year old coins, right out of the mint bags is pretty cool. And in this case, they haven't ever circulated.

In the GSA Silver Dollar hoard, most of the coins had been laying around in the Treasury vaults for almost 80 years. At the time, the 1904-O was a rare coin, and after the initial GSA releases, my older brother was able to own a nice uncirculated one at a very reasonable cost.

Hoards are cool in many ways, as they are like a snapshot into a bygone era. The hoards of old Celtic coins found in the Isles and the hoards of Roman coins found all over the place are some of my favorite things to read about.

What we have here in this Canadian Gold Hoard is Klondike Gold. Original, too!! And it was to be used to finance the war, but somehow it didn't get spent. Interesting stuff. Great design as well. I really like this opportunity.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Thanks Jerry, I do agree with all your points and that what was I thought.
    I just got confused because when I saw the first thread I thought they were the only coins left.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009