Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

has anyone seen the 1938 proof set error with buffalo nickel instead of jefferson nickel?

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
what say you?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having never thought about it before, I'm now going to ask why the Mint wouldn't have automatically included both nickel designs in that year's proof set?!?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Having never thought about it before, I'm now going to ask why the Mint wouldn't have automatically included both nickel designs in that year's proof set?!? >>

why indeed?! i'm sure someone can shed light on this mystery image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo nickels for 1938 were all struck in Denver. A 1938 Philly buffalo, struck in proof only, would have been a huge rarity.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Buffalo nickels for 1938 were all struck in Denver. A 1938 Philly buffalo, struck in proof only, would have been a huge rarity. >>

Good thing this happened in the days before the internet...can you imagine the stink if they did this now?

Design change mid-year..and it's not included in the set! Today, we'd have a 10,000 post tirade for that one!
  • Options

<< <i>Good thing this happened in the days before the internet...can you imagine the stink if they did this now?
    Design change mid-year..and it's not included in the set! Today, we'd have a 10,000 post tirade for that one! >>

I think mintage of 1938-D buffalo nickels was intended only to fill demand while the Jeffersons were getting ready for launch. Only 7 million were struck.

A similar event occurred in August 1999 when the government ran out of Susan B. Anthony dollars shortly before the launch of the 2000-dated Sacagaweas. To alleviate this shortage, a relatively small number of SBA's were struck for circulation at Philly and Denver, along with some Philly proofs. None of these coins were included in the 1999 mint sets and proof sets, which had already been released prior to the decision to resume striking dollar coins. Susies dated 1999 were made available from the Mint only as two-coin sets of circulation strikes and single-coin proofs.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen proof sets with the incorrect coins in the cellophane, so it leads one to assume that they same error could be had in 1938. The question is did people care in 1938 enough to save them?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen proof sets with the incorrect coins in the cellophane, so it leads one to assume that they same error could be had in 1938. The question is did people care in 1938 enough to save them? >>

No 1938 buffalo nickels were struck in Philadelphia, so it would not have been possible for them to be accidentally included in that year's proof sets.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No 1938 buffalo nickels were struck in Philadelphia, so it would not have been possible for them to be accidentally included in that year's proof sets."

Furthermore, there were no complete pre-packaged Proof coin sets available from the Mint in 1938. They had to be purchased as singles, which would have been individually wrapped. The Mint did not initiate selling pre-packaged Proof coin sets until 1950 (box set).

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint did not initiate selling pre-packaged Proof coin sets until 1950 (box set).

something tells me this will eventually lead to a re-litigation of the "Original Box" packaging debate for pre-1950 Mint products that comes up every once-in-a-while.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file