Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

SOLD!!!The value of a BRUISER BRODY signed wrestling all star card?

Bruiser Brody is one of the tougher wrestler autos to get. Just wondering if the board had any idea on the value of this autograph?

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice card! Wow, I had no idea how he died:

On July 16, 1988, Brody was in the locker room before his match with Dan Spivey in Bayamón (a city near San Juan, Puerto Rico), when José Huertas González, a fellow wrestler and booker, asked him to go into the shower to discuss business. Brody entered the shower stall and a few minutes later a scuffle ensued, followed by two groans, loud enough for the entire locker room to hear. Tony Atlas ran to the shower and saw Brody bent over and holding his stomach. Atlas then looked up at González and saw him holding the knife. When the paramedics arrived, Atlas carried Brody downstairs to the waiting ambulance, as, due to Brody's enormous stature, paramedics were unable to lift him. González, who always maintained his innocence, was initially charged with first-degree murder but was later reduced and tried for involuntary homicide. Dutch Mantell received his supoena after the trial was over and Tony Atlas refused to testify and without his testimony the District Attorney had no case. Some wrestlers were scared to death and made no declaration to the police at the time of the events. However Tony Atlas declared what he saw but refused to testify, several years later came back to Puerto Rico to work with the promotion. In January 1989, González was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense. Carlos Colón testified against Brody during the trial. Minutes before the incident Carlos Colón was having a conversation with González, and Colón knew of González intentions of "having a conversation" with Brody.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice card! Wow, I had no idea how he died:

On July 16, 1988, Brody was in the locker room before his match with Dan Spivey in Bayamón (a city near San Juan, Puerto Rico), when José Huertas González, a fellow wrestler and booker, asked him to go into the shower to discuss business. Brody entered the shower stall and a few minutes later a scuffle ensued, followed by two groans, loud enough for the entire locker room to hear. Tony Atlas ran to the shower and saw Brody bent over and holding his stomach. Atlas then looked up at González and saw him holding the knife. When the paramedics arrived, Atlas carried Brody downstairs to the waiting ambulance, as, due to Brody's enormous stature, paramedics were unable to lift him. González, who always maintained his innocence, was initially charged with first-degree murder but was later reduced and tried for involuntary homicide. Dutch Mantell received his supoena after the trial was over and Tony Atlas refused to testify and without his testimony the District Attorney had no case. Some wrestlers were scared to death and made no declaration to the police at the time of the events. However Tony Atlas declared what he saw but refused to testify, several years later came back to Puerto Rico to work with the promotion. In January 1989, González was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense. Carlos Colón testified against Brody during the trial. Minutes before the incident Carlos Colón was having a conversation with González, and Colón knew of González intentions of "having a conversation" with Brody. >>

This is why you should never run with scissors or take knives into the shower! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob I am by no means a true expert on autographs and I think you just have to let the market determine the value.

What makes a Bruiser Brody autograph so valuable is that he was a true wild man. He also was like a nomad and traveled all over the world and spent a great deal of time in Japan.

This item is extremely unique as not only is it a signed but on the right item.

Many of the wrestlers who had "heat" or at times worked "heel" stayed in character at all times and would not sign or be pleasant with fans.

There were no wrestling conventions like today where the good guys and bad guys are both at and where you can get any performers signature for a price.

You must determine if this is an item you really want to own or you must hit the bid.

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Rob, I think around $500 and that's with it being authenticated. I think it's real, but people aren't going to dish out $500 plus without that seal of approval. Brody was a big name, but not a household name. Great item. My advice, get it authenticated, and hold on to it. You won't see another any time soon. Good luck with it.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

To late it is sold to a major wrestling collector who loves Bruiser Brody.

Price tag $1,500!! image

Congratulations Rob on a nice trade!
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice sale. Will put mine up on ebay this weekend and hopefully find someone else that wants one that bad.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, this was a nice sale....it would have been hard to say no. I gave in :-)
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Good sale.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

Just listed 3 very tough signed Wrestling All Stars on ebay (ebay id thenavarro), Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, and Kerry Von Erich.

Hoping to get a buyer like the KING got.

Mike
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just listed 3 very tough signed Wrestling All Stars on ebay (ebay id thenavarro), Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, and Kerry Von Erich.

Mike >>

Just looked at your auctions. I really like that von Erich. It looks like it may be out of my price range though.

<< <i>

<< <i>Just listed 3 very tough signed Wrestling All Stars on ebay (ebay id thenavarro), Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, and Kerry Von Erich.

Mike >>

Just looked at your auctions. I really like that von Erich. It looks like it may be out of my price range though. >>

PM sent
    Good luck!
    Navarro, I am in the market for your signed Bruiser Brody....how much can I get one for?

<< <i>Navarro, I am in the market for your signed Bruiser Brody....how much can I get one for? >>

If you have any connections for a ticket to the BCS Championship game Id trade you for one ticket as long as it's not obstructed view.

Otherwise, I'd take $1200 off eBay for it

Mike
    Hope you get to the game Mike!
    More Brody items on ebay....only saw the one 8 by 10 and all of a sudden there are four different items of him on the bay now.........
    Now you would not think that I would sell one and not have another in my back pocket now would you?

I present my new and improved Bruiser Brody, it is in much better shape than the other I sold.

imageimage
    Another nice one Rob I ended up getting $1200 for mine. Those signed wrestling all stars are literally worth more than their weight in gold.

thanks DPECK for hyping up the set and doing a GREAT job of marketing. My pocketbook thanks you image

• << <i>Nice card! Wow, I had no idea how he died:

On July 16, 1988, Brody was in the locker room before his match with Dan Spivey in Bayamón (a city near San Juan, Puerto Rico), when José Huertas González, a fellow wrestler and booker, asked him to go into the shower to discuss business. Brody entered the shower stall and a few minutes later a scuffle ensued, followed by two groans, loud enough for the entire locker room to hear. Tony Atlas ran to the shower and saw Brody bent over and holding his stomach. Atlas then looked up at González and saw him holding the knife. When the paramedics arrived, Atlas carried Brody downstairs to the waiting ambulance, as, due to Brody's enormous stature, paramedics were unable to lift him. González, who always maintained his innocence, was initially charged with first-degree murder but was later reduced and tried for involuntary homicide. Dutch Mantell received his supoena after the trial was over and Tony Atlas refused to testify and without his testimony the District Attorney had no case. Some wrestlers were scared to death and made no declaration to the police at the time of the events. However Tony Atlas declared what he saw but refused to testify, several years later came back to Puerto Rico to work with the promotion. In January 1989, González was acquitted on all counts, citing self-defense. Carlos Colón testified against Brody during the trial. Minutes before the incident Carlos Colón was having a conversation with González, and Colón knew of González intentions of "having a conversation" with Brody. >>

Carlos Colón is the father of Carlito Colon who was in the wwe.

Interesting family history
    I wonder if Mr. Atlas discusses his opinion on what happened to Mr. Brody to those who inquire today. It is quite bizarre.
    I didn't want to mention it until my auction was over but I was even surprised myself to see a 1982-3 Bruiser Brody card I had in PSA 6 almost reach $200. I know a lot of wrestling fans enjoy Brody but even I underestimated this auction.

dpeck set a nice record with one of the highest sales for a wrestling card this morning with his signed Brody all star.......congrats!

edited September 3, 2018 3:21PM

Thanks Rob. Didn't expect to wake up to pee and check my phone and see a serious offer like that. I am glad it is going to a home that will appreciate it. Hard to say goodbye to some items. That is one.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

My kids watched a lot of wrestling, but I had never even heard of Bruiser Brody. Interesting sounding guy.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markj111 said:
    My kids watched a lot of wrestling, but I had never even heard of Bruiser Brody. Interesting sounding guy.

He wasn’t a WWF guy. He was also sometimes called King Kong Brody.