Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1984 Topps Football Question

I am looking for high-end (9/10) 1984 Topps football cards. I was thinking about buying a factory set, but have no idea what to expect. Does anyone know what to expect out of those factory sets as far as condition/grading? I really don't want to waste my money if chances of getting 10s is low. Any help greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think any of these products it is a total crap shoot. Many Topps produced sets have terrible centering issues and from what I have seen this set does as well.

You most likely will get sharp clean cards but if the centering is off you could have cards with Mint characteristics that grade EX-MT to NM-MT.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am looking for high-end (9/10) 1984 Topps football cards. I was thinking about buying a factory set, but have no idea what to expect. Does anyone know what to expect out of those factory sets as far as condition/grading? I really don't want to waste my money if chances of getting 10s is low. Any help greatly appreciated... >>

I don't think there is such a thing as a "high chance" of 10's, particularly in that set where there's so many off cuts and printing issues. Are you talking about sending them in for grading or just good eye appeal? Because a 10 in your eyes is probably very different from an actual 10 grade from PSA
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Forgedaboudit.9s yes 10s Not!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am looking for high-end (9/10) 1984 Topps football cards. I was thinking about buying a factory set, but have no idea what to expect. Does anyone know what to expect out of those factory sets as far as condition/grading? I really don't want to waste my money if chances of getting 10s is low. Any help greatly appreciated... >>

I don't think there is such a thing as a "high chance" of 10's, particularly in that set where there's so many off cuts and printing issues. Are you talking about sending them in for grading or just good eye appeal? Because a 10 in your eyes is probably very different from an actual 10 grade from PSA >>

+1

You can get 9's dirt cheap on Ebay. I would only go for 10's only for players I like or for the right price. This set is notorious for snow on certain cards and for off center. Thought, it is my 2nd favorite set of the modern era besides 1985 Topps football.
  • SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input. That's kind of what I was thinking with the printing/centering issues...