Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How does PSA grade cello packs?

For wax packs its quite clear how PSA grades based on the pack iteself.

Now for cellos I've always wondered does the grade reflect the wrapper and its condition like wax or more so the visible cards. It would appear to me they grade more so on visible cards and while a pack may be pristine if the top card has centering issues it won't get a 9, 10......?

For example I have a 84 cello with Marino on top graded PSA 9. Is it safe to assume based on the appearance of the Marino they consider it a 9 and if I submitted that card it should get a 9?

Cello experts help me out please.

Comments

• Options
    Hey thanks for the very quick and detailed response

It still bothers me a bit and maybe I just don't have enough experience in cellos yet. As for wax I can clearly see a difference in say Psa 8 to 10 grades. To be honest apart from centering of top card in cellos I'm not sure I could say the same nor justify the premium from one to the next grade.

Thoughts?

btw if that's a picture of your 75 cello collection. Wow
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Is that a photo from when Conlon's collection was sold? It's amazing that at one time he owned HUNDREDS of CASES of minis!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that a photo from when Conlon's collection was sold? It's amazing that at one time he owned HUNDREDS of CASES of minis![/q

Yes, that photo is from one of the REA lots.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey thanks for the very quick and detailed response

It still bothers me a bit and maybe I just don't have enough experience in cellos yet. As for wax I can clearly see a difference in say Psa 8 to 10 grades. To be honest apart from centering of top card in cellos I'm not sure I could say the same nor justify the premium from one to the next grade.

Thoughts?

btw if that's a picture of your 75 cello collection. Wow >>

Actually centering isn't that big of a factor.....65/35 is a pretty big target to hit.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies