Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Could the next big thing in PSA graded cards be music cards?

Any day of the week I can find many, many multiple PSA cards of Jordan RCs, Montana RC, Ripken RC, etc., for sale on ebay, on dealer websites and/or at card shows, but try finding PSA Proset Musicards Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, Sting, or Bryan Adams for example. How much money you have doesn't really matter - you're not going to find them.

All of those names and many more in the set are famous in the U.S. and internationally as well.

There are several modern mainstream music card sets that while modern are quietly getting older and more difficult to find and often have the only or one of only a few cards of the respective artist.

The best known modern music card sets include:
1991 ProSet Musicards
1992 and 1993 Country Gold
1992 Country Classics

The 1991 Proset Musicards focused more on pop stars, such as Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart, Madonna, and rock groups such as Bad English, AC/DC, Poison and others. The country sets as you might imagine focused on stars in that field such as Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, Marie Osmond and others.

These cards such as Proset Musicards may not be scarce per-se, but neither are 1982 Topps Baseball, 1981 Topps Football, or really even Fleer Basketball, with 86-87 being somewhat of an exception. Also, they are mainstream enough to be well known. For example there are many cards such as Police Dan Marino that are scarcer then his Topps RC sometimes by many fold, but they aren't widely enough collected.

Recently while buying some boxes of proset musicards, I have found several dealers who listed some for sale only to tell me they didn't actually have them after I ordered.

Many of these boxes have been collecting dust and sometimes sitting below other boxes, potentially getting squished in the process.

While again I am not saying they are rare by any means, a few people with some reasonable money could easily put a large dent in the currently available supply IMO.

I am not saying these cards should be as valuable as some of the hobbies top cards, but in many cases, they aren't even a tiny fraction of some sportcards of players that maybe had a decent couple of years!

Also, these are not as easy PSA 10s and even 9s as some people might expect. Many of the cards come out of even mint packs in less then perfect shape, plus I'm sure there are tons of them that have been beat up over the years, including things such as sitting in damp basements and being dragged back and forth to and from shows, etc. Some of the cards have at least partial black borders and almost all of them can easily get some white on the sides on the back.

Most people have a favorite musician who they made in these sets, be it Springsteen, Whitney Houston, George Michael, AC/DC, The Who, Alan Jackson, Wille Nelson or whoever, but very few card collectors seem to even have a card of their favorites, much less a high-grade PSA version. Before you go spending a bunch of money for a sports player you may not even like, or buying some non-sports card that just commemmorates a movie or T.V. show or something, I suggest you at least consider showing your support for some artists you like by collecting their official and often only legitimate music card.

I remember when collecting football cards (not to mention Basketball and hockey cards) was pretty much considered a joke. I mean Ryne Sandberg RC might have been $20 and Joe Montana was $1, and people would say any serious collector just collects baseball players - the FB cards will never be worth anything. Well, we know what happened after that. I remember there was a time when the Ronnie Lott RC went from like 25 cents in one Beckett to $10 in the Beckett the next month! And it was probably hard to sell the Lott RC for 25 cents in the prior month! So anything can happen.

JJacks
Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have tons of the gold and classics but don't know what I did with them. I don't think I have them anymore, though. They are still plentiful enough and cheap enough that an inventory can be replenished, though. I don't know if I would call these the next big thing. Good luck if that is what you wish for though. image

• Options
    slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    Greetings j jacks,
    I would say they have a 1 in 500,000 chance to be the next great thing. Not quite 1 in a million. But not odds in our favor right now.
    I have been known to be wrong but they printed zillions and the supply doesn't out weigh the demand.
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
    Ps last time I was wrong I gave the same odds to investing in wrestling wax from the 80s and never in a million years thought those has a chance to sky rocket in price the way they did. Disclaimer I still make fun of my bud that collect wrestling 80s wax boxes and Psa cards. Haha
    goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I should have probably said something more like "a big thing at some point" instead of the next big thing, but you understand my point.

As far as printing zillions goes, I don't know about Country Gold cards, but the Proset Musicards they did probably print quite a few, but remember that it's a decent sized set, esp. including the UK version (which also seems scarer). Series 2 of the U.S. also seems scarer as well.

Keep in mind as well that there were times when cards that are in demand now were hugely available for cheap. I remember around 1986-87 - I would have been about 14-15 years old - going to a card show where a dealer had a large qty of 1982 Topps Football Cello boxes for $5 each. I think I bought 1 or 2 as a collector, but the point is he had dozens of them, and probably would have been thrilled if he could have sold them all for $3 each. At the time, noone would have considered 82 Topps Football even remotely scarce, yet they are $100+/box today with PSA 10s that can fetch $500+.

Just something to consider.

P.S. According to the PSA population report, I am currently the only person in the country who owns a Tim McGraw (not Tug McGraw) RC in a PSA holder! Actually any Tim McGraw card in a PSA holder. He is only in the top few earners each year in country music, and probably high on the all-time earnings list as well.

Also, if anyone has or can get a Proset Musicards Richard Marx PSA 10, I'd be interested. Currently, I only have MINT 9s image

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly the 1991 Music cards, first series had a Madonna card that was pulled after first release.....future gold?? who knows but I do know I blew out many boxes of these over the years for less than $5 each.....al. I currently have zero left, only a few sets put together 20, and it's hard to believe 20 years ago.....
  • Options
    Subject: 1991 Proset Musicards

My only one is of Jimi Hendrix that I have had since around 1991. Really like the card so I had it graded by SGC mostly because I figured the card really wasn't worth anything and believe an SGC special cost
    me $5 or $6 at the time. Came back a 9. SGC says it is a "Promo" card. Can anyone tell me any more about this card? Always thought it was a really neat card and that is why had it graded and to protect it.

Thanks for any help or info.......
    Charlie
  • Options
    What about the Elvis and Beatles Sets from 1992?

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Series 3 of the Elvis cards were not as highly produced as series 1 and 2. Also, the Series 3 cards already sell for a much higher premiuim than 1 and 2. PSA has also graded numerous dufex insert cards for that set. I have not checked the Beatles set. I pulled one of the redemption cards from a pack back in the day and never submitted it for redemption. I wish I had...

• Options
    I really like those pro set musicards. Not sure if they are going to gain a bunch of popularity but I'm going to pick some up!
    Go Reds!