Can't win if ya don't play~~$40

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no and not planning to
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    about to head up to the store... already mentally spending the money!!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no and not planning to >>

Ya cant win if ya dont play! image

I got my 10.................

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother....I bought the winner yesterday...
  • Options
    I think of it this way:

1. I can afford to lose $20 or whatever.
    2. It is FUN to imagine the winnings for 24 hours image And paying $20 for that much fun is a good buy image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Can't. In one of the 8 or so states that doesn't do Powerball.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Can't lose if you don't play. image
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I had never bought a powerball ticket but the lure of half a billon got to me...so I got oneimage
  • Options
    You also can't lose anything you would remember in a week if you play image $2 is never going to be noticed by the people on this board.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Can't lose if you don't play.>>

That was precisely what I was going to reply with, what are the odds of that?
    1 in 175,223,510 are the current odds. Your chances would be pretty good if you purchased 175,223,510 different combinations.
    Is it possible to buy that many? How could one accomplish this?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Regarding buying every number:

This HAS BEEN DONE in other lotteries. Naturally the groups are private, but there was a group that won this way in the Netherlands or some country like that.

NOTE: In the powerball you have to buy "in person" in most places, possibly all, so buying more than a few thousand tickets would be impossible due to time constraints.

Also remember that if you SPLIT THE WINNINGS you are going to be hating life after spending $300M+
  • Options

<< <i>You also can't lose anything you would remember in a week if you play image >>

A week later? I'm sure I would remember buying a ticket. And if you wouldn't remember, what good would having the winning ticket be, anyway? image

<< <i>$2 is never going to be noticed by the people on this board. >>

In that case, it shouldn't be a problem to get everybody on the board to send me $2, should it? The odds of getting anything back aren't significantly worse, yet somehow, I doubt there will be a flood of money in my mailbox anytime soon. image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Yup! If I win I will targeting the upcoming Cardinal auction and Barrett-Jackson auction
  • Options
    If I just had tomorrows newspaper, it would take all the guess work out image
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Can't lose if you don't play.>>

1 in 175,223,510 are the current odds. Your chances would be pretty good if you purchased 175,223,510 different combinations.
    Is it possible to buy that many? How could one accomplish this? >>

It could be possible to do it, but you'd need quite the taskforce to accomplish it. The new machines which let you buy a ticket without having to go up to the counter at a gas station/etc. have a maximum of $20 per ticket and I'll make a generous round-trip estimate of 10 seconds to insert the $20 and receive the ticket at the end with 10 numbers. This would take approximately 200 years to buy, assuming working 24/7 at this rate and the machines don't run out of paper.

However, the Birthday Paradox falls into play here with randomly picked numbers - you'll end up receiving duplicate picks with this volume. To ensure you don't miss any number and don't overspend, the automated machines are out of the question: you would have to pre-select each combination manually.

Assuming you can counter all of the hurdles associated with the practical execution of these ticket purchases, as the tickets are $2 per pick, that would cost you $350,447,020 to cover all 175,223,510 combinations. At a $550 million jackpot, that would be a pre-tax profit of $199,552,980 only if no one else wins. If one other person gets it, you'll split the pot and would then have lost $75,447,020.

So, I'd recommend against it image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You also can't lose anything you would remember in a week if you play image >>

A week later? I'm sure I would remember buying a ticket. And if you wouldn't remember, what good would having the winning ticket be, anyway? image

<< <i>$2 is never going to be noticed by the people on this board. >>

In that case, it shouldn't be a problem to get everybody on the board to send me $2, should it? The odds of getting anything back aren't significantly worse, yet somehow, I doubt there will be a flood of money in my mailbox anytime soon. image >>

ZERO odds is not nearly as good as REMOTE odds.

Plus sending you $2 gets me ZERO enjoyment. Imagining lots of expensive coins for 24 hours gets me a lot of enjoyment.

Picking up the latest Heritage catalog and treating it like my personal wish-list gives me way more than $2 of enjoyment.

Imagining calling Legend tomorrow and saying: I'll take everything.

That gives me a lot more than $2 in enjoyment image
  • Options
    <<Assuming you can counter all of the hurdles associated with the practical execution of these ticket purchases, as the tickets are $2 per pick, that would cost you $350,447,020 to cover all 175,223,510 combinations. At a $550 million jackpot, that would be a pre-tax profit of $199,552,980 only if no one else wins. If one other person gets it, you'll split the pot and would then have lost $75,447,020.>>

Didn't realize the PB had increased to $2, been a while I guess.
  • Options
    The lottery is my Retirement. image

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 tickets and would most likely donate/giveaway more then I'd spend on coins if I won.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>ZERO odds is not nearly as good as REMOTE odds. >>

If they're remote enough, it doesn't matter.

Odds of getting struck by lightning twice in your life: 1 in 9 million.
    Odds of winning the powerball drawing: 1 in 175 million.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always looked at these Lottery's
    with the big payouts as the price of
    an admission ticket to a Mental Disneyland.

Of course you're not going to win, but
    it's probably worth the price of admission
    to think about it for 24-48 hours.............
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It could be possible to do it, but you'd need quite the taskforce to accomplish it. The new machines which let you buy a ticket without having to go up to the counter at a gas station/etc. have a maximum of $20 per ticket and I'll make a generous round-trip estimate of 10 seconds to insert the $20 and receive the ticket at the end with 10 numbers. This would take approximately 200 years to buy, assuming working 24/7 at this rate and the machines don't run out of paper.

However, the Birthday Paradox falls into play here with randomly picked numbers - you'll end up receiving duplicate picks with this volume. To ensure you don't miss any number and don't overspend, the automated machines are out of the question: you would have to pre-select each combination manually.

Assuming you can counter all of the hurdles associated with the practical execution of these ticket purchases, as the tickets are $2 per pick, that would cost you $350,447,020 to cover all 175,223,510 combinations. At a $550 million jackpot, that would be a pre-tax profit of $199,552,980 only if no one else wins. If one other person gets it, you'll split the pot and would then have lost $75,447,020.

So, I'd recommend against it image >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ZERO odds is not nearly as good as REMOTE odds. >>

If they're remote enough, it doesn't matter.

Odds of getting struck by lightning twice in your life: 1 in 9 million.
    Odds of winning the powerball drawing: 1 in 175 million. >>

It sure matters to the winner! 1 in 175 million is less than the chances of me meeting my wife but I did image So I'm hoping to double down!
  • Options

<< <i>1 in 175 million is less than the chances of me meeting my wife but I did image >>

If the odds of meeting the person you married are over 1 in 175 million, practically nobody would be married.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negative.

In light of all the troubles chance might toss in my way I'll do my best to avoid being afflicted with a half billion clams.

• Options

<< <i>no and not planning to >>

I've always thought of the lottery as a voluntary "stupid" tax.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1 in 175 million is less than the chances of me meeting my wife but I did image >>

If the odds of meeting the person you married are over 1 in 175 million, practically nobody would be married. >>

The odds of marrying someone is probably 1 in 2 or so. The odds of meeting MY WIFE are 1 out of however many people there are in the United States that are female. If you knew my wife you would agree that I hit the jackpot image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    News radio @ 430p CT, driving home from work - " lottery officials report 130,000 tickets being sold a minute, nationwide."
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I still haven't met the person he married.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't. In one of the 8 or so states that doesn't do Powerball. >>

Yeah, me too.

bob in Las Vegas
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>The odds of meeting MY WIFE are 1 out of however many people there are in the United States that are female. >>

Actually, the odds of you meeting your wife are 1 out of however many people there are in the United States that are female that 1) you meet and 2) spend enough time with to actually consider worth marrying. That number is considerably less than the number of females in the US.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If each possible combination was on a 1 inch cube and were placed next to and on top of each other,the cubes would occupy a volume 40.3 ft. on each side.

$2 for a chance at $1/2 B and some change? Why not?

I would give most of the money away.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    I bought one a month ago when it was 200 mil or so, and matched 3 numbers for a whopping $7 winner, so I purchased two this time around.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine...Thinking about all the farmland I could buy...yeah Im an exciting person.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just think about getting all the numbers except the Power ball number. Pays a measly $1 million.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I purchased one ticket.... it only takes one to win. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told my wife to join her office pool for the $2 admission price because if THEY win and she did NOT join it would be an awful thing to have to go to work every day!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Just bought 1 for fun. Not going to go crazy here.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd play if they'd keep drawing numbers until the system verified say 100-500 winners. giving the average person 200m-500 is plain stupid, although i don't know how to pre-determine whom plays or wins

wouldn't it make sense that more people would play if the odds of winning went up by drawing more numbers?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I bought mine, how else am I going to afford expensive coins?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I'm 41 and think I have better odds getting money out of the lottery than I do getting money out of social security. At least I'm not forced by law to buy lottery tickets and they cost a fraction of a percent of the money I've wasted giving it to the Feds.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in a non Powerball state, but have my ticket. I get it mailed to me for 26 draws. I have a premonition the last post in this thread will win it. No one else post. 15 minutes to draw.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So, I'd recommend against it image >>

Would you hit a higher percentage of all of the possibilities by doing 175,223,510 easy picks one time from one machine than by spreading them out over 50,000 different machines?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If the odds of meeting the person you married are over 1 in 175 million, practically nobody would be married. >>

The odds of marrying someone is probably 1 in 2 or so. The odds of meeting MY WIFE are 1 out of however many people there are in the United States that are female. If you knew my wife you would agree that I hit the jackpot image >>

I assume you could discard all of those under 21 and those over 55 so that shud up your odds.image
  • Options
    5 16 22 23 29 6
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I win I am buying up all the PCGS stock. And then I can put whatever numbers I want on my coins image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. Oh Well. image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>5 16 22 23 29 6 >>

If only u would have posted this a few hours ago..
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Bought one ticket, didn't win.
  • Options
    If those are the winning numbers.....I know I did not win.....oh well
    Take it easy.....Lion
    The Only Difference Between Men And Boys.....Is The Price Of The Toys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights