Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1704 Altyn: Comments?

Hello All,

I haven't handled a lot of Peter I coinage, especially Altyns. I recently came across this and am not certain what I think of it. Anyone with any expertise they would like to share? Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

nicholasz219

Listing sort of sketchy, price worth the risk?

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece but almost looks too good to be true. I can't pass judgement one way or the other. I have seen sellers name before so he is no fly-by-night seller.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree. Good feedback, but then very little offered in information about coin.
  • Options
    What do you have to lose? If you get it and you dont like it open a paypal dispute - you will get your money back poof.

It happens to the stuff I sell all the time....a bracelet doesnt fit the person - paypal dispute poof they have their money back and I'm out.
  • Options
    Wait candy, what are you out? Not the entire amount of the transaction?
  • Options
    Well, now that I thought of it, I did a search on completed eBay listings. These typically go for $200-250. Hence my suspicions. But I also found another Altyn sold by the same seller which also started out as a 1 cent auction. It sold for $222.50. That and considering his feedback rating, I may try and get this coin if the price doesn't skyrocket (and what I mean is actually rise to the price that it is worth, lol). But I guess since the auction was still fairly new when I found it, I just was being cynical as usual.

Thanks for the input though everyone.

Maybe the seller isn't the devil lol
  • Options
    I sold my last Russia rouble this year, but my experience as an eBay seller indicated that they run up at the last minute much more than coins from other countries I was selling. The price at 5 minutes to go generally had nothing to do with the final hammer price.
  • Options
    I watched it out of curiosity. 53 bids from 18 distinct eBay bidders certainly demonstrates a bid of interest in the piece.
  • Options
    Yes, I see that. Since the piece went for $240, I am guessing that I just happened to catch this auction right at the beginning. Everything else about this seller except for the vague description seemed positive. Guess I am just used to being cynical.

Well, I'll be darned

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice piece but almost looks too good to be true. I can't pass judgement one way or the other. I have seen sellers name before so he is no fly-by-night seller. >>

I agree with you.