Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP Marvin Miller

Probably one of the more historical figures in (some of our) lifetime for as an Exec for MLB.

I was at the gym and saw "Marvin Miller" keep scrolling across the bottom line on ESPN and I kept missing all of it. At first I wondered if he had gotten in, thinking that sometimes the special committees of the HOF vote in early December (although it's still November). When I realized what month it was, and that I knew he was not on the upcoming ballot, I knew it wasn't good.

The interesting thing was that he just appeared on ESPN's 30 for 30 "Broke". I thought how amazing he looked for his age, but is it possible that was an old interview?

About a year ago I sent him a Topps card, with a $10 check wrote out to BAT. He kept the card, and mailed me back my check where he wrote "I am not an agent for BAT" and then either wrote "Marvin" or "Miller" on it....I can't remember which. I never bothered him again, figuring that my unsigned check was now a much better piece than any signature of his I could ever get TTM from him. If he does ever get inducted, I am counting it.

I also have a feeling they will put him in now that he's gone....which is a travesty.

Comments

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    just like jerry kramer, your right. A true travesty.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    very sad im sure now they will put him in the hall its a shame they wait til people have passed to do this ...i have been stocking up fo years now on his items i have like
    10 signed baseballs
    9 2005 topps FF signed cards only 99 made
    6 allen ginters blue signature
    2 of the red version only 10 made
    3 signed cards ttm 3 index cards
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    sad news

your right im sure he will get in the hall now

RIP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Mr. Miller did so much for the game of baseball and for the hobby we love so much. His name comes up in countless books (Ball Four, and Mint Condition come to the top of my head). I hope modren day players know the impact Mr. Miller has had on their careers.