Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadians - Life without the cent

So I'm curious to hear from our Canadian members how life is going so far without the cent. Have they been taken out of circulation or are they still there? How have prices been affected? I haven't seen many articles on this, and am curious since you at least had the guts to eliminate a uselss denomination and the arguments made in the US are sometimes hysterical as to why we should keep it.
Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• Options
    It was decided to keep the cent through the Christmas rush.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, 2012 is the last year for the Canadian cent? Imagine the hoarding going on?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tons of cents, no hoarding.... they just have stopped making them...
    there are emteen billion around. they will not go away over night.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Given the Mayan prophecy, I'm surprised the RCM isn't ending Canadian coinage altogether after this year.
  • Options

<< <i>Given the Mayan prophecy, I'm surprised the RCM isn't ending Canadian coinage altogether after this year. >>

Given the RCM's proclivity for new designs, I'm surprised they're not issuing a "Mayan Prophesy" commemorative.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they might be thinking about it...lolololo
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Given the Mayan prophecy, I'm surprised the RCM isn't ending Canadian coinage altogether after this year. >>

Given the RCM's proclivity for new designs, I'm surprised they're not issuing a "Mayan Prophesy" commemorative. >>

image well done! image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that any Mayans or Aztecs lived in Canada.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Our cents are gone? Either I've been too busy to notice, or it hasn't happened yet.
  • Options

<< <i>Our cents are gone? Either I've been too busy to notice, or it hasn't happened yet. >>

In Canada,yes,I believe it did already happen.I think it's sad.How 'bout you?image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭✭
    If Canada runs into a shortage of cents anytime in the forseeable future, they can always freely use ones from the U.S. .............. ours are not going anywhere anytime soon, unfortunately................image
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    In Canada,yes,I believe it did already happen.I think it's sad.How 'bout you?

Got $3.02 in change from a cash transaction today ... I still don't think it's happened yet.
  • Options
    Oh?image

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    they will still circulate
    maybe the RCM will collect and melt them as they are returned
  • Options
    Wait a minute.I think we have a communication breakdown? Did the Canadian government mint,stop minting the cent as we speak or are we talking did the Canadian public stop excepting the Canadian cent all together?Two different topics.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Thank you,for clearing the smoke for me. Obviously,our Canadian friends don't collect the cent as we Americans do! We cent lovers still have enough say to keep the all-American icon penny. (so far?)

• Options

<< <i>Obviously,our Canadian friends don't collect the cent as we Americans do! We cent lovers still have enough say to keep the all-American icon penny. (so far?) >>

Put another way, Americans are insisting on spending money they don't have to make a coin that costs more than it's worth and that people routinely throw away. Yay team! image
  • Options
    YEAH!!!image

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Put another way, Americans are insisting on spending money they don't have to make a coin that costs more than it's worth and that people routinely throw away. Yay team! image >>

Summed up nicely, IMO.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Put another way, Americans are insisting on spending money they don't have to make a coin that costs more than it's worth and that people routinely throw away. Yay team! image >>

Mebbe the Mayans saw all this coming. image

It seems the Mayans might have had access to the same ancient knowledge
    the Egyptians (et al) had. It's not the world ending but merely the age of Pisces.
    The age of Aquarius dawns.

I keep tellin' ya that time flies.

Tempus fugit.