Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp - Canada 1973 large bust 25¢

Looks much better in hand.

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a very nice coin and it is scarce in that grade.
    like with many other years there were too many minted, 136,000,000 for this year
    with NO information of how many were made in LB.
    one can simply not know when rolls of them will show up one day.
    to simply have in a collection is great. But as a long term investment.. not for me.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>this is a very nice coin and it is scarce in that grade.
    like with many other years there were too many minted, 136,000,000 for this year
    with NO information of how many were made in LB.
    one can simply not know when rolls of them will show up one day.
    to simply have in a collection is great. But as a long term investment.. not for me. >>

The same could be said of any coin - it happened with Morgan dollars.
    Charlton estimates 10K and I think that after 40 years it's unlikely "rolls" of them are gonna show up.
  • Options
    a very few years ago a old lady in Vancouver walked in to a coin dealers store in Vancouver.
    Guess what she put on his table.......
    10 perfect rolls of 1948 silver50 cent coins and 10 rolls of 1947 Maple leaf dollars and 14 rolls of 1948 silver dollars... together with a whole bunch of other 1947 and 1945 and other dollar rolls......( apparently she received over 100K in cash..)
    A L L in absolute MS condition.
    who knows what,s in the attics.... in these old shaughnessy homes....
    luckily.. the dealer was smart and released the coins verrrrrry slowly....
    NOT possible???? think again....
  • Options

<< <i>a very few years ago a old lady in Vancouver walked in to a coin dealers store in Vancouver.
    Guess what she put on his table.......
    10 perfect rolls of 1948 silver50 cent coins and 10 rolls of 1947 Maple leaf dollars and 14 rolls of 1948 silver dollars... together with a whole bunch of other 1947 and 1945 and other dollar rolls......( apparently she received over 100K in cash..)
    A L L in absolute MS condition.
    who knows what,s in the attics.... in these old shaughnessy homes....
    luckily.. the dealer was smart and released the coins verrrrrry slowly....
    NOT possible???? think again.... >>

Did you actually witness this event or is it an urban legend?
  • Options
    it may be legend.. But the story seems to rear its head every once in a while.
    well, do i believe it? It is possible.
    maybe I should have said : I heard the same and very similar story several times from different sources.
    I am sorry I missed to say that.
    Now, fact is, it could happen in any form of the above with any rare coin.
  • Options
    Well, I keep pretty close tabs on Canadian coinage and I am pretty sure it would have made the media if true.
    I'm feel safe in saying the story is an urban legend.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the roll story.

Look what happened recently with the 1914 5c and 10c.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>I believe the roll story.

Look what happened recently with the 1914 5c and 10c. >>

Yes and the news was in all the numismatic media.
    Sorry, I'm not buying the story.
  • Options
    look guys, it does not matter if someone believes the story or not.
    I know as a fact that the dealer did have a whole bunch of 1948s and released them slowly... that I know.
    However, the numbers of how many of each, I do not know.. that is hearsay...
    Lets be factual about the 1973 25 cent.
    the LB is scarce at this time. But the mint issue is simply way tooooo high to be sure about it.
    who knows how many where LB.
    and, the possibility of many rolls of LB's showing up is a reality.
    Personally, if I would need on for my collection, I would stay lower grade. Just to cover my butt.
    Your coin, I assume (and we all know what ASS.. u. me) does, did not come "economical".
    However, everyone has to make their own decisions on what suits one's budget and the associated risk with it.
    Personally, I believe you would be better off investing that $$ into, for example, an 1872 10 cent piece.
    Believe me, with my comments I was NOT trying to belittle your purchase. I am only trying to be realistic.
  • Options

<< <i>look guys, it does not matter if someone believes the story or not.
    I know as a fact that the dealer did have a whole bunch of 1948s and released them slowly... that I know.
    However, the numbers of how many of each, I do not know.. that is hearsay...
    Lets be factual about the 1973 25 cent.
    the LB is scarce at this time. But the mint issue is simply way tooooo high to be sure about it.
    who knows how many where LB.
    and, the possibility of many rolls of LB's showing up is a reality.
    Personally, if I would need on for my collection, I would stay lower grade. Just to cover my butt.
    Your coin, I assume (and we all know what ASS.. u. me) does, did not come "economical".
    However, everyone has to make their own decisions on what suits one's budget and the associated risk with it.
    Personally, I believe you would be better off investing that $$ into, for example, an 1872 10 cent piece.
    Believe me, with my comments I was NOT trying to belittle your purchase. I am only trying to be realistic. >>

Well, first you said you heard the story from several other people. Now you say you know it for a fact. Which is it?
    Anyway, I'm happy with my coin - what are you raining on my parade for? You are officially off my Xmas card list! image
  • Options
    do not wish, nor ever wanted to be on your list...
    there are others who wish they could be, but will never be.
    read the facts..., I do know some facts about it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and remember, it was all about a 1973 LB 25 cent coin with an mintage of xxxxxxxxxxxxx tons of it... and the mint REFUSES to issue details, even they MUST know!!!!!, as it involves a different die, which you have and asked for opinions....
    all i did is to convey what I experienced and heard....ABOUT ANOTHER, more scarce coin.
    what is your issue?????
    is it that you paid tooooo much?, or that you see what I am carefully tryconveying to you?
    sell the coin before tons of them show up... read Trends...
    i did not want this to become a pis....g match, but you asked for it.
    in YOUR defense, I have to say that similar could, hopefully will not, happen to any high mintage coin with several varieties known.
    ASK yourself WHY the mint acknowledges the different varieties?????
    simply because they want to... so interest is established for future issues.... ( with fabricated varieties). after all what they have been producing after 1967 is nothing but fabricated and hyped up overseas collectors crap.
  • Options

<< <i>do not wish, nor ever wanted to be on your list...
    there are others who wish they could be, but will never be.
    read the facts..., I do know some facts about it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and remember, it was all about a 1973 LB 25 cent coin with an mintage of xxxxxxxxxxxxx tons of it... and the mint REFUSES to issue details, even they MUST know!!!!!, as it involves a different die, which you have and asked for opinions....
    all i did is to convey what I experienced and heard....ABOUT ANOTHER, more scarce coin.
    what is your issue?????
    is it that you paid tooooo much?, or that you see what I am carefully tryconveying to you?
    sell the coin before tons of them show up... read Trends...
    i did not want this to become a pis....g match, but you asked for it.
    in YOUR defense, I have to say that similar could, hopefully will not, happen to any high mintage coin with several varieties known.
    ASK yourself WHY the mint acknowledges the different varieties?????
    simply because they want to... so interest is established for future issues.... ( with fabricated varieties). after all what they have been producing after 1967 is nothing but fabricated and hyped up overseas collectors crap. >>

You seem to be the one with "issues". I'm done with you.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Nice piece, Senex image
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    This large bust variety only happened in the mint sets. Will ever find them in rolls and they all should grade PL or SP.
    Nice variety to keep!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice piece, Senex image >>

Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>This large bust variety only happened in the mint sets. Will ever find them in rolls and they all should grade PL or SP.
    Nice variety to keep! >>

Charlton list them in MS grades for both Circulation and Numismatic strikes as well as Specimen strikes.
    I might as well spend this since apparently there are untold bags of them kept in a secret stash by the RCM. image
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    i've always liked the 1973 25c
    it's a cool design

nice pick up!
  • Options
    i've always liked the 1973 25c
    it's a cool design

nice pick up!
  • Options