Home Precious Metals

fiscal cliff --- not politics, right?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
this has got to affect PM prices.

sooooo..... affect on PM prices if all they can manage is to kick the can down the road and not compromise?

I think PM prices have been and will continue up in this case.

regularly scheduled meeting days are numbered in this holiday time and they have few left to accomplish anything.
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>fiscal cliff --- not politics, right? >>

Monetary policy does have a great affect on PMs. I believe the key to keeping the host content is to leave politicians and political parties (politics) out of any monetary policy discussion. If I'm wrong I would hope to hear otherwise from da man.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the only result of the fiscal cliff negotiations will be the spending of more money which we don't have, but it will be celebrated as a breakthrough nonetheless.

I'd take the "p" word out of the thread title and proceed with the fiscal cliff question, but that's just me...
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    I think derryb's post nailed it. The previous thread that got bammed strayed off-topic and quickly morphed into a demrep obamney battle.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we don't have time for the grand compromise, right?

do you think PMs continue up through the fiscal cliff deadline?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    do you think PMs continue up through the fiscal cliff deadline?

Of course, and when a compromised deal gets done in the 11th hour just in time before the holiday to make everyone (who only follows this on the surface) feel warm & fuzzy, there will be a different kind of cliff. It'll be called the "back you go to the mid $20's for silver" cliff.
    But what do I know, I said silver would never get above $30 again, and meant it, according to how some of you read it image
    Seriously, if something does get done in the knick of time and it's viewed as a good compromise, metals will take a hit, don't you think?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect that the only result of the fiscal cliff negotiations will be the spending of more money which we don't have, but it will be celebrated as a breakthrough nonetheless. >>

If that's how it goes silver might take a hit when they make a deal but since spending cuts won't be big or real it might be a good time to buy some in case it jumps up when reality sets in.
    Ed
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the down pressure will come into play in how they can take of the deficit AND debt.

if the compromise is not grand enough we may only lose recent gains. OTOH, should surplus come into the wording (yeah right) we may see the 2 handle again quickly.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As this new episode of legislative drama unfolds, nobody is going to be happy. Which markets thrive when nobody is happy? Pretty much, none of them.

What really matters is how people perceive reality after the fact. In my opinion, more and more people will begin to think that gold is a good idea.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fiscal cliff is a diversion. Debt, money supply, USdollar, and negative interest rates are the primary drivers. And right now all 4 of those are in the pro-gold direction.
    8-9% per year monetary growth is still the norm and has been since 1995. It's wonder that gold didn't begin its bull market in 1996. But the combination of the gold
    carry trade, central bank gold sales, and miners hedging their production, it was kept bottled up.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    What really matters is how people perceive reality after the fact

With the horse blinders that most have on combined with the remaining that could care less because they feel it's all rigged anyway, don't expect much to change in the way of confidence. jmho
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.