Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chihli Dollar

Hi guys, I'm one of the lightside members but recently someone posted a Chihli dollar that got me very interested.
I have always meant to get into these coins but the darkside seems so overwhelming.
From what I can see from Heritage, there is also a series of Fengtien coinage and Manchurian coinage from around the same period.
Does anyone have any good books or websites to share on these series and perhaps a quick overview of how to identify genuine coins?

Much appreciated.

I also have two of those "Fat Head" dollars that I'm not sure about in terms of whether they are genuine.

1914:

imageimage

1921:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    They are real...1914 and 1921 common issues. The 1921 seems to be a little rarer because of the low amount graded at pcgs/ngc.

I collect the fat man series - common dates in unc and rarer ones in xf+..

The chihli dollar (1908) is one of the most common dragon dollars out there - I always see them on ebay being sold. You can commonly get one for under $400 for a numerical graded one under the AU condition range. I am waiting for a nice XF45 pcgs secure to come up that doesnt break the $350 range to pop. But I would rather complete the fat man variety set first. I am mainly interested in the major varieties...

There are few referances besides a few online forums where members posted long-winded posts with pictures.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Candymustang, thanks for the confirmation on the dollars. They were given to me as gifts from an antiques collector in China.

As for the Chihli coinage, I will do research into the forum's databases. Thanks!