Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: an Anglo-Saxon penny (Danish East Anglia)

I don't have it yet. I just got the dealer's email about newps, and I reached out to him immediately. I am very excited, knowing the dealer and seeing the image.

From his web site:

Viking Kingdoms, Danish East Anglia, St. Eadmund Memorial Coinage (c.885 - c.915), Silver Penny, 1.17g., 19mm, moneyer Wineger, +SC EADMVNDE around a large A, trefoil of pellets above, rev., small cross within a circle, +VVINECR MONT, (N.483; S.960), richly toned, practically as struck.

This coinage was struck by the Danish settlers of East Anglia in memory of the canonized martyr Eadmund, the last English King of East Anglia, who was brutally murdered in A.D. 869 by the invading Viking army. In its own way this coinage reflects the rapid adoption of 'civilized' Anglo-Saxon habits, like Christianity and coinage, by the invaders following their arrival in England.

Eadmund was the last king of the independent Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of East Anglia. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records that in A.D. 870: “[the Vikings] went across Mercia into East Anglia, and took winter-quarters at Thetford; and in that year St. Edmund the king fought against them, and the Danish took the victory, and killed the king and conquered all that land…” The Chronicle goes on to name the Viking leaders who slew the king as Ivar and Ubba. A later medieval source records that he was tied to a tree and filled with arrows. This act took place at a town called Beadoriceswyrthe, where he is believed to be buried and where a cult grew up around the canonized king and which is still today known as Bury St. Edmunds.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments