Home Sports Talk
Options

NCAA basketball player scores 138 points

GRINNELL, Iowa (AP) — Jack Taylor scored 138 points to shatter the NCAA scoring record in Division III Grinnell's 179-104 victory over Faith Baptist Bible on Tuesday night.

Taylor made 27 of 71 3-point attempts, was 52 of 108 overall from the field and added seven free throws on 10 attempts in 36 minutes.

link

71 3-point attempts? image

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad. Ball hog!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    That school's offense is crazy, they basically break (and give up) 100+ points every game.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I heard on Sportscenter that a kid on the other team was 34 out of 44 for 70 or 71 points. That's a good game!
  • Options

<< <i>I heard on Sportscenter that a kid on the other team was 34 out of 44 for 70 or 71 points. That's a good game! >>

It looks good on paper, but it turns out that 90% of his 70 points were "wide open layups. He maybe took a handful of jump shots."

It turns out that the whole game was a sham. Grinnell did everything they could to get the kid the record.
    D-III Player’s 138 Point-Game Is A Sham Record And Shouldn’t Be Celebrated By Anyone

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the game in which the player scored 138 points was one where neither team played much, if any defense. Further the game was probably a sprint from start to finish with no set offense and a game plan of get the ball to the player who is designated to shoot and let him shoot as soon as he comes across half court.

I remember playing in a rec league in my mid to late 20's. My team had a buddy on it who I played college basketball with. He is mentally tough and when he decided to play lock down defense against the best scorer on an opposing team he really did lock people down.

In one rec league game we played a team that had a guy who could shoot the lights out from anywhere. He scored 25+ points per game and at 6'4" tall with good ball handling skills he could shoot jump shots and could drive to the hoop. He was an all around player and could score from anywhere, seemingly at will.

My buddy and teammate told me that he would guard the guy on the other team who scored 25+ per game; and he told me that he would not let the guy score a single point the entire night.

My buddy got up in the guy's face and played aggressive, in your face, follow you like a shadow, defense all night long. My buddy got into the passing lanes, keeping himself between the ball and the guy he was defending. When the guy got the ball in his hands, my buddy would not let him bring the ball up above his waist to get the ball into shooting position. My buddy would not let the guy separate from him and the guy could get no space or room to maneuver to either drive or pull up for a jump shot.

The outcome of my buddy's lock down defense was that the guy on the other team started to get frustrated. His lack of any success at anything during the game caused him to lose it mentally. He was so mad and frustrated that in the second half he basically gave up even trying. My buddy still would not relent though and the guy by the time the game ended was in complete and utter agony (mentally).

This rec league game was a great example of one on one competition and how mental attitude can have such a large impact on athletic performance. The guy on the other team had probably rarely, if ever, been in a situation where he was challenged by a defender. He had very good skills and a great shooting touch, but when it came down to crunch time against a defender who had physical skills and who had the mindset of "you are not going to score a point", he just fell apart and wanted nothing more than to have the game be over.

I suspect that if one of the defenders in the game last night had decided that the guy who scored 138 points was not going to score and put that plan into action with similar lock down defense, the guy would not have come even remotely close to scoring 138.

• Options
    Jokes:

What did Jack's teammates say in the locker room during halftime ? "Hey Jack, I'm open !

What did the opposing team's coach say at end of the game ? "ok, who had Jack ?"
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely check out that article. Grinnell played 4-on-5 defense the entire game - Jack Taylor basically didn't cross halfcourt the play defense. And Grinell basically just lets team shoot.

It's also worth noting that Faith Baptist has 330 students. And they're not an NCAA school and not even NAIA. They're a level below that. And they're in the lowest division of THAT.

Tabe
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Back at it....

ESPN.com link
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars