Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Shipping to Canada question.

I am shipping a high dollar item to Canada and was trying to remember the best way to send and be able to track the package. Do I send it Express or registered through the USPS or should I send it Fed Ex? Thanks!

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience Canada has higher limits on registered than other countries, ie much more than the standard $40. But the posties in Canada are dependably slow.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • From the USPS website:

934.2 Special Provisions
    Regardless of the declared value of a registered item, the maximum amount of indemnity payable for loss, damage, or missing contents is $47.33.

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have lost 3 packages to Canada within the past year. Two of them were from a consignment for a person here on the forums(which by the way cost me most of the money I made on the consignment). Needless to say, I do not trust Canada as far as shipping is concerned, and I was worried about China! image In any case, how should I ship this package? Should I just cancel the auction and realist the item? I am at a loss. -Dan
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have lost 3 packages to Canada within the past year. Two of them were from a consignment for a person here on the forums(which by the way cost me most of the money I made on the consignment). Needless to say, I do not trust Canada as far as shipping is concerned, and I was worried about China! image In any case, how should I ship this package? Should I just cancel the auction and realist the item? I am at a loss. -Dan >>

Canada is extremely safe.

I've been purchasing a few coins from US dealers for over 10 years now and not once have I had any problems.

In fact, I feel the best way to ship is your standard (uninsured) first class mailing (I think postage is about $1.35 to Canada).

I even tell the seller that I will take the financial risk.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DE59. I send items using Safe-T-Mailers and #0 bubble mailers. For higher value items I use USPS Registered Mail even with the ridiculously insurance coverage. I've been on eBay almost 16 years with nearly 60% of my sales going to Canada only lost one package (sent to Vancouver). One more thing: don't bother with USPS Priority Mail. It travels at the same pace as regular 1st class.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay