Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Newps: a pair of European silver crown-sized coins

The first coin has a popular city view motif, from Frankfurt and dated 1772. A common coin found nice, this piece is lightly satiny and lightly PL. It has light champagne toning and quite pleasing to behold. It has been graded MS64 by a reputable TPG, and I find it solid for the grade. The image is from the dealer, but I adjusted the contrast and brightness a bit to make it more faithful to the coin. Dav-2226.

The second coin is much more of a 'wow' specimen. From the Republic of Venice, 1789, this coin has very nice frosty luster and good detail. Overall, the coin only has a dusting of toning with areas of deeper gold patina. The hay marks on the Doge's cheek is much less visible in hand. This coin is graded MS64 by a reputable TPG. The image is from the dealer. Dav-1575.

[I actually negotiated on this coin at the Philadelphia ANA in August, but finally paid it off just before this recent Baltimore show. Picking up this piece made going to the show almost worth it for me.]

Ludovico Manin was the final Doge of Venice, elected in 1789 and forced to abdicate by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1797. He died in Venice in 1802 of natural causes.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 excellent pickups. The Frankfurt is commonly available yet scarcer is such condition - the 1789 is stellar, never seen such a nice specimen. Congrats!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2 excellent pickups. The Frankfurt is commonly available yet scarcer is such condition - the 1789 is stellar, never seen such a nice specimen. Congrats! >>

Thanks Z. The Venetian tallero is one of my trophy coins. It was very expensive, but I executed on it after assessing its quality in-hand, discussing with a trusted friend and got a good price on it. I'm a firm believer in not making price a primary focus when chasing special coins. In the final analysis, I deemed this coin to be special, and the price fair (not a bargain). I then worked out a longer-than-usual payment plan with the dealership owner. When he accepted, I shook his hand and smiled. I would've hugged him.

On the matter of fantastic coins from the Italian states, the NYINC is fast approaching. My usual supplier of such lovelies should be there, and I have extra money not spent from Baltimore. Maybe I'll even pick up a nice Anglo-Saxon penny or two.

As for the Frankfurt, well, I had initially passed on it because it really wasn't worth my time. It is a nice coin, but I had other priorities (like the tallero). Fast forward to now, I decided to execute on it because the price was right and the coin actually is nice. And pretty design too! image

I picked up this coin at Baltimore too.

EVP

• 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Steve:

I like the Frankfurt city view taler (maybe since I collect Frankfurtimage) and they are not common in that grade. Top pop at PCGS is one MS65 and yours looks nice for the grade.

3Mark
    Larry
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    both beautifull coins, congrats.

I'm a bit confused , your remark about the hay marks on the doge's cheek.
    it looks like Maria Theresia of Austria is depicted on the coin, and not the Doge ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>both beautifull coins, congrats.

I'm a bit confused , your remark about the hay marks on the doge's cheek.
    it looks like Maria Theresia of Austria is depicted on the coin, and not the Doge ? >>

The figure on the obverse is supposed to be Ludovico Manin. Not sure whom you're insulting (the Doge, the Empress, or the engraver), but I'm sure you're it must be someone. Lol!

EVP