Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I had a fruitless Baltimore show

It started off bad Thursday morning when my friend who travels with me arrived late and we hit rush hour traffic down the Route 1 corridor on my way to I-95. Because of the stop-and-go motion, my dog vomited in my car. :-(

We finally get to our hotel in Inner Harbor, and the room's not ready. In all fairness, our room is guaranteed by 4pm and we got there around 11:30am. So what do I do with my dog? I eventually leave her in my car (cool day, so dog fine even though I was stressed). I go to the show and pick up 2 newps that I purchased before the show. Yeah, yeah - more on them later.

I then meet up with a dealer who had a nice run of high-end common material. He wants to do a deal with me. After some research, it turns out that he was giving me very aggressive pricing.

Thursday evening, I meet up with my niece and her BF for dinner. We went to the tapas place by the water. Yummy. Had a pitcher and a half of the tinta too. :-)

Afterwards, worked late into the evening trying to be more detailed in pricing the deal and figuring out a cash price for the lot.

Friday I meet up with two lightsiders for breakfast. Got a late start, and missed the LSCC meeting. Eventually got to the show and told that dealer that we're too far apart. 30%!!! He seemed surprised, and I walked away. I was supposed to find out if the dealer would do individual pricing, but I just didn't feel like talking to him anymore. I think this is the third time in 12 months that he's tried to slam me badly.

For those curious, I will not identify the dealer and I will admit that it's a judgment call whether he was trying to slam me. After all, pricing on the stuff is speculative. I've also had two overseas dealers try to hit home runs with me, and I also have downgraded my relationships with them. It's not personal; I just need to constantly manage my professional relationships.

I wandered aimlessly for the rest of the show, came to Andy Lustig's table and chatted with him briefly. I chatted with more lightsiders, then went back to the room to wait for dinner time: at L.P. Steamers with more lightsiders.

After dinner, I went home. Got home at 11:15pm and now am thinking about the money spent here and available for NYINC. :-)

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...sounds like a bad luck show.

I hope your dog's still not in the car.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I share your pain. No kidding.

Conclusion is right though, the reserve can build up for NY where I hope we can meet again.
  • You won't find many deals from dealers, but their asking price could be a good piece of information about the series that you're collecting. I don't go to show to see dealers, but to see friends. My friends give me many good buys, and when my friends don't have anything to sell, I just save the money for next time.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You won't find many deals from dealers, but their asking price could be a good piece of information about the series that you're collecting. I don't go to show to see dealers, but to see friends. My friends give me many good buys, and when my friends don't have anything to sell, I just save the money for next time. >>

Not asking for a deal (i.e., special pricing) from dealers. But when someone wants to do a multiple 5-figure deal with me, I do not expect a 30% gap. That's not a legit starting point, not even bridged by a cash offer.

The deal was the equiv of MS66 silver Ikes - most people just want one or two for type, but not a whole deal's worth.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Next time try giving the dog one Pepcid AC if he/she's over 40#, and maybe half that if under 40#.......of course, check with your Vet first. image

We have a greyhound (72#) that can't go 5 miles in the car without barfing...at least until we were told about the Pepcid.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to read that your experience was not up to par

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report.

Here's to better opportunities in the future.