Home Sports Talk
Options

Virgil Trucks HOF Petition

So, with the recent news that Virgil Trucks may likely be done with signing, I thought it would be a nice gesture to start a petition to have him inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame. He's stated before that it was a life long dream of his, and what better way can we show our appreciation than trying to help him with that.

PLEASE, this is not a thread for arguing his numbers or whether or not he deserves the HOF. More than likely, this will never reach the commisioner's desk...but I think it's the least we can do for a man who has been so great to our hobby over the last couple of decades.

Mr. Trucks is a WS champion, the owner of 2 no-hitters, a 2x All Star and most importantly...a WWII Veteran!

He's among the last of a dying breed of former baseball greats who goes above and beyond for his fans. I sent him a request once asking him 3 questions and he wrote me back a 3 page letter talking about his playing days...as most will attest, he has always been quick and more than willing to sign anything you send him...most of the time for free and usually sending back a signed item of his own.

So, if you can, please take a moment to sign this petition for Mr Trucks and show the man how much we care about him! He's taken a lot of time out of his life to sign for us, now lets sign something for him!

Virgil Trucks HOF Petition

Feel free to repost on other sites, tweet the link...whatever you'd like to get this out there!
Working on signed 1948 Bowman (Needing: Kerr)

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Virgil was a great guy and did a lot of great pitching but Hall Of Fame is no.Virgil was one of my favorite near the end of his career(I loved his name) .Own autograph ball of him.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Just hit the 250 mark. So far, 2 of his daughters along with his son and former teammate Jim Rivera have signed. Please take a second to sign if you haven't yet and thanks to those of you that have signed it so far. His daughter sent me a message saying that she's printing out all of the comments people are leaving for Mr Trucks and that it means alot to them!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pitcher, nice career, odd accomplishment (2 no-hitters during a 5-19 season?!!?) but HOF? No way.

Tabe
  • Options
    If he had been with a better team in the day, he would have been a no-doubt HOF'er. It can be argued all day long but I'm doing this as a nice gesture to him and his family. Please take a moment to sign if you can, not trying to start a debate. Appreciate everyone's support!

Thanks,
    James
  • Options
    Cubswin82Cubswin82 Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Bump!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More than likely, this will never reach the commissioner's desk.. >>

You do realize the HOF is an independent institution and is not governed by MLB nor the Commish in anyway right? Even if Mr. Selig agrees that Virgil belongs in the HOF, there is not a damn thing he can do about it (at least not on any official level).

Now if you brought the petition to the attention of the Veterans Committee, they and only they are the ones that would make any difference on the issue.

Good luck.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars