Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Finally found a rare Scottish hammered coin I've been searching for

My latest pic up. A David II groat with 7 arcs in the tressure:

They extremely rare and aren't mentioned in most publications. You can only really find them mentioned in older Seaby and Robertson books which say there is only one example known. I have added an extract from Robertsons 1888 book and below it notes by my friend "scottishmoney" where he describes a possibility of 6-7 existing, but he says he has only seen 3 example (including his own) and that mine would make the fourth.

I've been keeping my eye pealed for one of these for years. Always counting the arcs in vain but alas I have found one! and as a bonus I managed to buy for a non premium price as it went un-recognised by the seller and other potential bidders.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hus: Kind of curious how you found your coin with a seller who didn't notice the difference - I purchased mine over 20 years ago at an ancient and medieval show and neither the seller or myself knew of the variety. I did notice when I went home and looked in my Seaby catalogue that it was different but didn't think too much of it until Dave Stewart noticed it on my website and pointed out that there were so few of them known. Needless to say when I purchased the piece I wasn't as knowledgeable about the Scots rarities then.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Hus! I can sense the passion. image
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.

Love your example Dave, it is so well struck and fully round image and Ive sent you a message on Facebook about it.

The seller actually listed as Robert II groat!! I suppose the mistake came because it is weakly struck and slightly crimped around the edges. I guess this is where knowledge pays off.

PS For anyone that is wondering, my friend "scottishmoney" whom I have referenced is actually SoarAlba on these boards and one of the very few people that own and example, but he also owns the best known exampled which he has pictured. He was also the one that inspired me into the mad hunt for one.

Ill need to take better pics of mine in sunlight as it looks better in hand. I just took some quick pics last night in poor lighting.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Hussulo and SaorAlba: extremely sharp finds on both of your parts! It's a great feeling to find one of the lesser known or (even better) a truly rare variety. As my library and knowledge base about Russian coins has expanded, it never ceases to thrill me to find a mini rarity amongst the chaff, especially at a discount from its true value.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hussulo and SaorAlba: extremely sharp finds on both of your parts! It's a great feeling to find one of the lesser known or (even better) a truly rare variety. As my library and knowledge base about Russian coins has expanded, it never ceases to thrill me to find a mini rarity amongst the chaff, especially at a discount from its true value. >>

The exciting time to collect Russian was in the early 1990's when things were really starting to open up in Russia but there were still only a few dedicated collectors that were not the oligarchs with oil money types. It was very cool finding stuff creeping out of the woodwork, nice red original Tsar Nikolai II bronzes and white silver that had been buried away for decades. I wish that I had bought up more of the Yekaterina pyatachakii before they started getting so expensive but I did put together pretty nice date set of them. Now the bazaars are full of heavily cleaned, overpriced, and too many fakes so that only I now buy just occasional new coins. I sold my gold collection years ago, but now have all the coins in type set save 1911 Chervonetz.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Very, very cool and informative as usual. Thanks for sharing. I love these boards! imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    SoarAlba:

I agree that the 90's were a great time to collect Imperial Russian coinage. I actually purchased what would become the nucleus of my Russian collection around 1990 from a dealer who didn't specialize in foreign (very few US dealers I dealt with at the time did, unless it was ancients). I got the entire inventory of Russian for a song. Then I lost the rest of the decade to teenage wine women and song. When I started collecting again in 2003, I had noticed the suddenly escalating prices for anything especially on the higher end. But in this last decade even copper and small silver prices have gotten ridiculous. I still am collecting, but I'm a lot more choosy and work harder at finding bargains.

Frankly as long as the worldwide economy stays mostly stagnant and oil/precious metal prices stay high, collectors of minor coinage really do not have much of a choice but to be extra choosy, more so than usual.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    oh those are awesome
    plus they are extremely rare! nice
  • Options
    great find - jeff
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Hus is great

sorry look on the Face Book by clicking this link the COIN OF MARY IS ON THE COVER regards Jeff https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass