Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1961 Topps "green variation"

I've noticed on eBay that card # 492 Ron Fairly has a PSA recognized variation that commands a premium price. It has the green color showing in the bottom part of the baseball on the back. I have a few #40 Bob Turley cards with the same variation, with and without the green in the baseball. Is that also recognized as a variation? If not, why not, and if so, are there any others? Thanks...
Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The Fairly can be found with varying degrees of green in the bottom of the ball on the back. The Pagan card can be found the same way...and apparently Turley, and maybe/likely others. I guess someone got PSA to note the defect on a holder. Not aware that it has been done for Pagan, Turley or otherwise, and I do not think it has been added to the PSA master list for 1961. It is not listed in the SCD Standard Catalog either. Don't know about Beckett.

It is just a print defect, of which there are hundreds in any Topps set involving almost any card if you look long enough, so not sure why someone at PSA has chosen to single this one out. But since they did, anyone with any green showing in the ball is trying to cash in. I think over time it will be seen that this is not a rare defect.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    It has been added to the PSA master set list for 1961, so that will make it a must have for the master set crowd, and drive up prices, at least in the short run
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I think that PSA follows the lead of Beckett or some other authority rather than establishing the variation their own. I agree that it looks like a simple printing defect... not as important as say the '58 yellow letters or '59 options statement. That being said, if other cards in the set come with and without the same defect in the ball area, they too should be recognized, or else the variation shouldn't be listed at all for any card, IMO
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...