Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

English Hammered Coin Attribution Help Needed

Appreciate very much anyone who can tell me what I have here.

Comments

• Options
    Wow. Well the design is that of a Richard I to Henry III England silver penny (dating 1189-1248) with the raised surfaces and lower surfaces reverse of what they should be. Was this dug? Bought?
  • Options
    Id hoped there was an answer to this one , i didnt want to jump the gun but it's not like any English hammered coin i have or have seen in my travels.The short cross doesnt look right , the fonts dont look right , not an awful lot does look right for an English hammered.
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Dug. Metal detector find.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    John class 5c short cross penny - c.1208-9. Probably RAVLF ON LUNDE based on the amount of space available and the fact that the second and third letter of the moneyer's name are AV.

My eyes played tricks on me too. It is due to the scanner light coming from the opposite direction to which you are accustomed. Look at it with your head upside down and 'normality' is restored.
  • Options
    Yeah... i am checking back in on this one and now it looks normal!
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John class 5c short cross penny - c.1208-9. Probably RAVLF ON LUNDE based on the amount of space available and the fact that the second and third letter of the moneyer's name are AV.

My eyes played tricks on me too. It is due to the scanner light coming from the opposite direction to which you are accustomed. Look at it with your head upside down and 'normality' is restored. >>

Thank you very much!