Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone know anything about this silver bar?

Bought it today locally...never seen the bar before or heard of the company. None listed or sold on eBay recently. After a quick google search, they appear to be a small time local Chicago refiner that primarly trade metals in the market more than they produce physical bars.
Anyone know anything about this company and bar, thanks for the help.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I googled it. There is, or was, an Alaron Metals Company:

Alaron Metals Services is a full service wholesale precious metals dealer offering highly competitive pricing on gold, silver and platinum coins, bars and granules. Alaron Metals also offers its clients access to exchange traded futures contracts for the purpose of both hedging and speculating in the commodity arena.
    http://companydatabase.org/c/futures-exchanges/futures-traders/stock-futures/precious-metals/alaron-metals-services.html

The link provided at the top of the description now leads to PFG Precious Metals, a Chicago-based PM trading company.

I believe this is the same logo as your bar:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Weiss, that's pretty much what I came up with too, I appreciate it.
    Anyone ever see one auctioned on eBay to see if there's any premium?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen them. Never thought that they were worth any premium, and with the hairlines on this one I doubt any collector would want it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I agree Capt. Whoever cleaned it must've used a damn scouring pad image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should spend just as good as a shiny one!

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The logo is reminiscent of the Chicago Board of Trade logo. Link to photo.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)