Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FS: 4 Certified Brazilian 960 Reis (varieties, overdates, scarce dates) - sale for limited time!

SALE - All coins listed here currently marked down for a short time. - Collectors Universe forum-only sale.

There are 4 certified Brazilian 960 Reis for sale in this post. Feel free to send a message if you have any questions.

Description
1821-R 960 Reis. PCGS MS-61. Very strong strike, full details, rotated reverse!

$315 -> SALE $295 (also on ebay if you prefer)
1821-R 960 Reis PCGS MS-61. Very strong strike with full details, very sharp trapezoids and crown. All details are full and sharp. The reverse is rotated about 15 degrees. Details of the undertype are only visible as shadows on the fields, but still easily recognizable in reflective light.

Enough details are easily visible to see that the coin was struck obverse-on-reverse, that is, the reverse of the CAROLUS Potosi-PJ 8 reales is on the obverse of the 960 Reis. Primary photos taken when in NGC MS61, crossed over to PCGS MS61.
PCGS Certification #26260382

Host attribution notes
Obverse: The top of the crown lies under the left side of the A in ALG. The mintmark sits under the G in G.PORT. "8R" under the OR of PORT. "P.J." under BRAS.

Reverse: ROLU of CAROLUS visible under top trapezoid. The date will be found under the left trapezoid.

Payment:
$315 -> SALE $295 - Paypal (sales@960coins.com) or check (allow time to clear before shipment made). Texas residents please add 8.25%.

Shipping
Shipping is always free to US-based CU members, international shipments are given a discount on International Priority, for only $7.

Question?
Please reply or message if you have any questions.

============================================================

Description
1820-R 960 Reis. 7 fruits variety! PCGS XF-45. Really great coin!
Hard-to-find "outer leaf" sub-variety. Crown-sized silver, overstruck on a FERDIN VII 8 reales.

$300 -> SALE $285 (also on ebay if you prefer)
This toned 1820-R 960 Reis is has seven fruits on the left branch on the obverse (normally it is 8). The majority of this scarce variety are missing the middle interior fruit. This is a rare sub-variety of the popular 7-fruits variety, where the missing fruit is the bottom exterior one. Nice original dark toning, graded PCGS XF-45. Hard to find, and this one looks great too. Struck with a shallow die, giving the details a low relief.

In the light, reflects flashes of gold toning, with an overall smooth grey toning with a darker band across the obverse.
PCGS Certification #26260547

Host attribution notes
Obverse: "FERDIN VII" is strongly visible from 12:00 to 3:00.

Reverse: Cross of the crown sites under the apex of the last A in NATA. HISPAN visible starting at 10:00.

Payment:
$300 -> SALE $285 - Paypal (sales@960coins.com) or check (allow time to clear before shipment made). Texas residents please add 8.25%.

Shipping
Shipping is always free to US-based CU members, international shipments are given a discount on International Priority, for only $7.

Question?

Description
1822-R 960 Reis. Scarce date, plus overstruck on a 960 Reis! PCGS XF.

$210 -> SALE $199 (also on ebay if you prefer)
In 1822, September 7th, Brazil declared independence from Portugal. This coin was made in the final year of pre-independence Brazil. As such, the 1822-R is the scarcest date United Kingdom issue from Rio, with only 428,000 struck.

This deeply toned example was struck over another 960 reis, which is easily visible especially on the reverse in the trapezoids. The alignment of the overstrike is almost identical, but there is some rotation slightly counter-clockwise.
PCGS Certification #26260546

Host attribution notes
Obverse: The obverse crown can be seen at about 1:00.

Reverse: There is evidence of the overstriking on all of the trapezoids.

Payment:
$210 -> SALE $199 - Paypal (sales@960coins.com) or check (allow time to clear before shipment made). Texas residents please add 8.25%.

Shipping

Question?

Description

$320 -> SALE $300 (also on ebay if you prefer)
In 1816, the mint in Rio de Janeiro produced a small number of 960 Reis with a modified obverse legend reading "JOANNES.D.G.PORT.BRAS.ET.ALG.P.REGENS" to reflect the higher standing given to Brazil in the Portuguese kingdom after the defeat of Napoleon in 1815. The legend was reverted to the previous phrasing despite Brazil's elevation until the design was changed to the United Kingdom version in 1818.

This example is lightly toned with some luster remaining. Graded PCGS XF Details for Surface Hairlines on the reverse. Overstruck on a 1811-Mo (HJ) Ferdinand armored bust 8 reales. A scarce type. KM-313
PCGS Certification #26260546

Host attribution notes
Obverse: The host coin is rotated such that its top points toward the ".ET." on the 960 reis. The busts's armored shoulder is easily visible near the 16 and top-right flower. The date can be seen from 12:30 to 1:30.

Reverse: The assayer's initials "HJ" are visible on the right-side trapezoid. The 'M' of the mintmark sits across the SU of SUBQ with the 'o' of the mintmark being visible directly between the tops of the S and U.

Payment:
$320 -> SALE $300 - Paypal (sales@960coins.com) or check (allow time to clear before shipment made). Texas residents please add 8.25%.

Shipping

Question?

960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
Check my BST!

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    how COOL is that 1820-R!!!! never saw one quite like that!
  • Options

<< <i>how COOL is that 1820-R!!!! never saw one quite like that! >>

Yeah, these are hard to find. There are actually 3 types of "7 fruit" varieties, all scarce or rare. The more often encountered of the 3 is missing a fruit on the left branch, the 3rd from the top (I also have one of these, but it's been cleaned sometime in the past). Then there are this type, missing an external fruit on the left branch and also a 7-fruit variety of the right branch.
    960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    This is the other one I was talking about. I don't have a sales photo ready for it yet, but this is what the relatively more often encountered 7-fruits variety looks like:
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    holy mackerel. I'm going through the images of my 960s and I guess I never paid attention to the config of fruit/leaves, I presumed they'd be more or less the same but they're showing many differences :S

I have a lot to learn.
  • Options

<< <i>holy mackerel. I'm going through the images of my 960s and I guess I never paid attention to the config of fruit/leaves, I presumed they'd be more or less the same but they're showing many differences :S

I have a lot to learn. >>

(plug):
    "There are hundreds of obverse die varieties, each with 1-7 associated reverse varieties. For example, for the Colonial Rio issue from 1810-1818, there are 567 cataloged obverse die varieties, each with 1-7 reverse varieties. The rarity of a die variety ranges from common to 5R." There are about 240 die varieties just for 1819-R alone.

Many of these die varieties are insignificant changes, slight rotations in the legend, letter spacing, leaf height, crown details, etc. But there is a smaller list of more collectible varieties and major differences that most collectors care about.

Check my BST!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>holy mackerel. I'm going through the images of my 960s and I guess I never paid attention to the config of fruit/leaves, I presumed they'd be more or less the same but they're showing many differences :S

I have a lot to learn. >>

(plug):
    "There are hundreds of obverse die varieties, each with 1-7 associated reverse varieties. For example, for the Colonial Rio issue from 1810-1818, there are 567 cataloged obverse die varieties, each with 1-7 reverse varieties. The rarity of a die variety ranges from common to 5R." There are about 240 die varieties just for 1819-R alone.

Many of these die varieties are insignificant changes, slight rotations in the legend, letter spacing, leaf height, crown details, etc. But there is a smaller list of more collectible varieties and major differences that most collectors care about. >>

If a VAM collector died and went to heaven, the 960 Reis overstrikes would be what would circulate there image

I do have the 960 book (Levy) but have yet to really crack it in earnest image What a sin. I assume these aspects are covered?
  • Options

<< <i>If a VAM collector died and went to heaven, the 960 Reis overstrikes would be what would circulate there image

I do have the 960 book (Levy) but have yet to really crack it in earnest image What a sin. I assume these aspects are covered? >>

As the Levy book is focused on overstrikes, it just barely touches on die varieties. It does list some of the more popular obvious varieties, like the 7-fruits/9-fruits/legend errors/etc. There are separate catalogs for an exhaustive listing of die varieites, all in portuguese, kind of expensive and the Rio catalog is scarce.
    Check my BST!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If a VAM collector died and went to heaven, the 960 Reis overstrikes would be what would circulate there image

I do have the 960 book (Levy) but have yet to really crack it in earnest image What a sin. I assume these aspects are covered? >>

As the Levy book is focused on overstrikes, it just barely touches on die varieties. It does list some of the more popular obvious varieties, like the 7-fruits/9-fruits/legend errors/etc. There are separate catalogs for an exhaustive listing of die varieites, all in portuguese, kind of expensive and the Rio catalog is scarce. >>

Thanks! (as my Portuguese is rusty (non-existent) I guess I'll have to wait until this goes mainstream US)
  • Options

<< <i>

Thanks! (as my Portuguese is rusty (non-existent) I guess I'll have to wait until this goes mainstream US) >>

Let me know if you're ever interested, I could get you a Bahia-mint catalog pretty easily. The vocabulary is fairly specialized and limited, so once you know the terms for the different design elements (the book has diagrams naming the pieces) and some directional words, you can read what you need from the catalog.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks! (as my Portuguese is rusty (non-existent) I guess I'll have to wait until this goes mainstream US) >>

Let me know if you're ever interested, I could get you a Bahia-mint catalog pretty easily. The vocabulary is fairly specialized and limited, so once you know the terms for the different design elements (the book has diagrams naming the pieces) and some directional words, you can read what you need from the catalog. >>

How much would a Bahia mint catalog cost? I can read Portuguese and might be interested.
  • Options

<< <i>How much would a Bahia mint catalog cost? I can read Portuguese and might be interested. >>

Currently $75 for the Bahia catalog.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    Bump for sale prices - this forum only, limited time.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    Bump for these prices
    Check my BST!