Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Anyone else notice a lot of crazy bidding recently?

The economy must be starting to pick up, cause some of the bidding patterns recently are really pushing the envelope, especially on high quality, low population cards. Noticed it on a bunch of cards, but can personally attest to it on the set I collect. Couple months ago, maybe not even that long, I purchased a number of PSA 7 1935 Goudey commons off Kurt Coltrane for $100-110 a piece, they book for $90. I also purchase a PSA 8 common off Ebay for $270, it books for $260. Well, Mile High Cards ran some auctions the other night and the prices fetched were incredible. The majority of the PSA 7 commons went for around $200, with one going for $225. The kicker is a PSA 7 version of the card I bought in PSA 8 went for $197, only $73 less than i got the 8 for. The thing that kinda sucks is I contacted Mile High weeks before he ran these auctions and wanted to purchase his 7's for his website asking price of $125-$150 each. He didn't get back to me until after he listed them for auction, said he was out of town. Sucks for me, but I guess he made the right choice.

Comments

• VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The two greatest factors on vintage card prices (to the positive) have been the PSA Population Report, which has crystallized how many verifiably unaltered, NM+ cards there really are out there and the PSA Set Registry which has codified the competition to complete those high grade sets. Collectors then know how many (or few) cards there are out there that can fill the holes in their sets.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have some 1935 diamond stars available in high grade if you don't already have them and i don't even want over book for them!!! lmk if any of these help you?!?! thanks! tim

1935 diamond stars
    (2) rick ferrell psa 7
    walt berger psa 8
    blondy ryan psa 8
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭

<< <i>i have some 1935 diamond stars available in high grade if you don't already have them and i don't even want over book for them!!! lmk if any of these help you?!?! thanks! tim

1935 diamond stars
    (2) rick ferrell psa 7
    walt berger psa 8
    blondy ryan psa 8 >>

Thanks for the offer, but it's the 35 Goudey's i'm after right now. Got any of those?
  • bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭
    No doubt, Vargha. I think I'm going to have to get a bit more creative in my search. I've got half the 35 Goudey set completed in PSA 6 or better but now it's getting infinitely more difficult. The set has recently attracted a lot more interest, and I'm going to have to jack up my bid prices. I don't want to go to far though and end up in a two man bidding war. Fine line I guess.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    must have been a quick loss of blood to my brain...i know you said goudey, not sure what i was thinking??!??!? sorry! tim
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com