Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Rotated Ikes in New PCGS Slabs

I recently had some Ikes graded and 3 of them came back rotated in the slab holder about 90 degrees. I suppose it doesn't make any difference, but I would like to see them "upright" in the holder. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? and will PCGS reholder them without a fee? Your comments appreciatedimage

Comments

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    It has happened to me before. I do not know if they will fix it for free or not because I just left mine as they were. Did not want to spend the postage for a couple of coins, you know? Maybe if you have another submission, then it may be okay, but I would not waste my time and also risking them getting lost in the mail. My opinion only and does not reflect that of anyone else. image
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Just call or email PCGS customer service and ask.
  • Options
    Fletch,

Out of curiosity, what are the date/mm/grades ? Someone I knew had once submitted a few different coins together (10 to 12) and it appeared that the high $, high grade ones were perfectly displayed and some of the lesser valued ones were not (a little to the right, a little to the left but not 90 degrees like yours).

Just curious if there is any correlation.

My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I have a Silver Pennsylvania quarter that's rotated slightly in it's slab.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    fantasiize--Actually, there are four rotations: 1972-D 180 degrees right, 1973 90 degrees left, 1973-d 90 degrees left, and 1974-d 45 degrees left. I think I will first email pcgs about the problem, and return them the next time I have a sizeable submission (20 or more coins)--that is if they agree to re-holder them for no fee. Thank you all for the advice.image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Has anyone ever had this happen to them? and will PCGS reholder them without a fee? Your comments appreciated image

Yes!!!!! I've had that happen a lot. I also noticed it happening more with Ikes than any other coin. I submitted a bunch of lock MS65 clads and I noticed that the ones that they undergraded MS64 were rotated in the slab. Some were horribly rotated. I though that this was just PCGS's way of letting you know which ones were intentionally undergraded.

PCGS will not reholder them for free. You'll need to pay and take your chances that they will be holdered correctly this time.

Don't bother emailing. It's a waste of time. You'll need to call them if you actually want an answer.

• Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    1972-D 180 degrees right, are you sure it isn't 180 degrees left? image

I'll fix them for you for only $5/each via my patented Whack-Em method.

Free return shipping if with another purchase.... like perhaps this GORGEOUS IKE WITH ONLY 4 HOURS TO GO!
  • Options
    On second thought, I think I will just leave them alone and call them and register a complaint. Probably a waste of time, but might make me feel better. Someone wondered if it was 180 degrees right or left? Take your pick? The damn thing is upside down.image
  • Options
    supercoin--one of the coins is this submission was a 1972-S Silver in MS67. It's a bright white example and a really beautiful coin. Are you interested?? I can email you a scan.
  • Options
    Thanks anyway, however if you have any with WILD CRAZY TONING LIKE THIS ONE ENDING IN 15 MINUTES GET YOUR BID IN NOW!!!, I would be interested. image
  • Options
    MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Alright, I hate to admit it, but this is one of my pet peeves!

I just got a 1974-MS67 Ike and it was rotated about 20 degrees off-center. Not being able to take it, I simply held the coin by one corner and tapped it with my other hand. It took a few tries to see which direction the coin was moving, but I was able to "right" it and now I'm completely happy...it is tough to be this anal retentive! LOL!

I hope this helps, give it a try.

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    hate to tell you, TADS not kidding...I have a proven wack method that straightens them out also.

It can be done, but I wont give away his secret

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know the coin isn't sitting right but it's the SLAB that is out of alignment?

peacockcoins

• Options
    pontiacinf, I PMed him the whack method last night, I don't want to be responsible for any terrible consequences by posting it publicly. image

Come to think of it, we haven't heard from him lately... hope he's not whacked...
  • Options
    FLETCH
    ONE GOOD POINT ON YOUR 1972-D. REVERSE IS UPRIGHT.
    GEORGE
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your advise. I tried the "whack" method and, by jove, it works!!! Think I will go and get "whacked" now. You guys (and gals) are great.image