Home Sports Talk
Options

Does the NFL need 2 different pass interference calls ?

Blatant pass interference equals spot of foul.

Mild pass interference equals 10 or 15 yard penalty and automatic first down.

Didn't they do two different fouls with face mask ??? Five yards and fifteen yards, or was that college only ?

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defensive pass interference should be 10 yards period.....just like offensive pass interference......period!

Not an automatic first down either.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Defensive pass interference should be 10 yards period.....just like offensive pass interference......period!

Not an automatic first down either. >>

You'd have guys pulling receiver down in the end zone or if they get beat downfield all day, LOL...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Defensive pass interference should be 10 yards period.....just like offensive pass interference......period!

Not an automatic first down either. >>

You'd have guys pulling receiver down in the end zone or if they get beat downfield all day, LOL... >>

Exactly image

BTW Tim, hope all is well Bro, read that you had your power down for a bit.
  • Options
    BTW Tim, hope all is well Bro, read that you had your power down for a bit.

Thanks, Paul! I am very fortunate--no major damage but was without any power or heat for 6 days which royally sucked. Just got power
    back on tonight and I will never take electricity for granted again--Thomas Edison is my new American hero! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW Tim, hope all is well Bro, read that you had your power down for a bit.

Thanks, Paul! I am very fortunate--no major damage but was without any power or heat for 6 days which royally sucked. Just got power
    back on tonight and I will never take electricity for granted again--Thomas Edison is my new American hero! image >>

Seriously glad you made it through it all without major issues.

Good to see you back image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Blatant pass interference equals spot of foul.

Mild pass interference equals 10 or 15 yard penalty and automatic first down.

Didn't they do two different fouls with face mask ??? Five yards and fifteen yards, or was that college only ? >>

The NFL used to have two different facemask penalties but got rid of the 5-yd one.

Pass interference pretty much HAS to be a spot foul penalty. The problem is that "throw up a bomb and hope for a pass interference call"has become an actual tactic. Or "have the receiver stop dead so the defender runs into him and draws a flag". There is a definite issue with PI, I'm just not quite sure how to fix it.

Tabe
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PI should be such an obvious call that even a replacement ref could get it right or don't throw the flag at all.

Has to be a spot foul.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>BTW Tim, hope all is well Bro, read that you had your power down for a bit.
    back on tonight and I will never take electricity for granted again--Thomas Edison is my new American hero! image >>

Tim ... glad to hear you got back your power. St. James got hit pretty hard and we are still without power. Could be until the end of the week before we get it back.

PS. I agree with your statement: You'd have guys pulling receiver down in the end zone or if they get beat downfield all day, LOL...
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Most, if not all of the rule changes that have impacted the pro passing game in recent years have definitely favored quarterbacks and receivers. The NFL knows
    what fans want to see (scoring) and have done a masterful job at packaging that product.

• Options
    The vast amount of these young modern QB's wouldn't likely even last a season in the old days.
    One head smack from Deacon Jones or getting stuck by Butkus and they'd be crying foul to their momma's
  • Options

<< <i>The vast amount of these young modern QB's wouldn't likely even last a season in the old days.
    One head smack from Deacon Jones or getting stuck by Butkus and they'd be crying foul to their momma's >>

LOL, yeah right.

Better question is how would Deacon Jones fare in the modern NFL where he would be at a size DISadvantage on every snap instead of having a huge size advantage as he did in the old days? Would he be able to adapt to being 40 lbs undersized and not being able to hit guys in the head?

Tabe
  • Options
    I wouldn't call 6' 5" 275 undersized.

Michael Strahan 6' 5" 275

Justin Tuck 6' 5" 268

Bruce Smith 6' 4" 280

So theres no way Deacon would be undersized for the position even in todays game.

Take away the head slap and Deacons speed still dominates even today.

Deacon Jones
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't call 6' 5" 275 undersized.

Michael Strahan 6' 5" 275

Justin Tuck 6' 5" 268

Bruce Smith 6' 4" 280

So theres no way Deacon would be undersized for the position even in todays game.

Take away the head slap and Deacons speed still dominates even today.

Deacon Jones >>

I wasn't clear - he had a huge size advantage over the OTs he faced - something he would not have today. Nor would he have the huge speed advantage - a speed advantage, sure, but not a huge one.

Tabe
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Deacon Jones,Alan Page,Alex Karras,Johnny Sample,Jack Tatum,Nite Train Lane,Chuck Bednarik,Ray Nithske,Joe Schmidt,Pat Fischer would not be allowed in todays game.This is not football what they play now.They should just change it to 2 hand touch.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Deacon Jones,Alan Page,Alex Karras,Johnny Sample,Jack Tatum,Nite Train Lane,Chuck Bednarik,Ray Nithske,Joe Schmidt,Pat Fischer would not be allowed in todays game.This is not football what they play now.They should just change it to 2 hand touch. >>

+1 Pat Fischer was a tough lil sob