Home Sports Talk

Is Willie Mays going senile or is he a giant tool bag?

Wille being Willie at Giants parade. I know he's got a reputation as a horrible person; is that what's going on here? Or did he just have a "senior moment"? Can't really tell, what do you think?

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It was pretty noisy out there at certain spots on the parade route. I saw a few failed interview attempts when the players had to shake their heads and point at their ears. A few other instances the players said things that didn't match the question being asked.

Giants closer Sergio Romo actually picked one of the folks up and sat her down next to him in the car he was riding on. I have a feeling that he could her her just fine though. image

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    However, I do notice that in a very subtle way, the Giants org has used Willie McCovey as the symbol of their history in SF more than Mays.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Willie was smiling and tipping his hat, the way I see it is he probably couldnt hear anything and figured smiles and the tip of his hat was good enough, not like he pushed the mic away or was rude in my opinion.

Fact is Willie is Old School and without question deserves to be angry about the racism Im sure he encountered threw his youth.
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Good grief...give him a break.......the guy is 81 years old, hard of hearing, and with all the noise he probably couldn't hear a word she said. Probably didn't respond as he would be too embarrassed to keep asking her to repeat herself.

<< <i>However, I do notice that in a very subtle way, the Giants org has used Willie McCovey as the symbol of their history in SF more than Mays. >>

Agreed.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed

I doubt Willie heard anything at all.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he is senile and a tool.
    Perhaps he is not.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    I think he is just an old guy that didn't hear. Nothing to see here.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    oh my goodies. Say Hey got into Thin Timmy's stash. image
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    They always said he was a five tool player, and I suppose all those tools had to be put in a tool bag when not in use, and that tool bag conceivably had a Giant logo on it, so it would be correct to say he had a Giant tool bag.
  • Alright, so i posted a somewhat unflattering video of Willie so I figured I'd even things out by posting this. It's an excerpt of a book by Roger Kahn, and it provides a glimpse into Willie's glory days. I enjoyed the read and hope you do too.
  • Happy birthday Willie!
    Willie's wife of 41 years died recently after a long battle with Alzheimer's. That might shed some light on his frosty behavior. Kinda hard to put on a smile when the love of your life doesn't even remember who you are most of the time.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Willie's wife of 41 years died recently after a long battle with Alzheimer's. That might shed some light on his frosty behavior. Kinda hard to put on a smile when the love of your life doesn't even remember who you are most of the time. >>

It's a situation that no one can truly comprehend until it happens to them. Heart-wrenching is an understatement and I bet a small part of him is grateful she's now in a better place.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Happy birthday Willie!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Good grief...give him a break.......the guy is 81 years old, hard of hearing, and with all the noise he probably couldn't hear a word she said. Probably didn't respond as he would be too embarrassed to keep asking her to repeat herself. <<<

+1
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great player but he's always been very bitter and rude to his fans so no surprise here.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.