Home Precious Metals
Options

Emergency Diversification and Networking

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Sandy makes me wonder how quickly I can sell PMs in a local emergency (let alone a bigger or longer one). Talked to an owner of a gun shop and he thinks pms are useless in a big emergency, saying
"Who you going to sell em to? But you can trade a box of shotgun shells for some food." He said at the very least a case of ammo for each gun.

In an temporary local emergency like Sandy, I may not be able to sell or trade PMs fast. If power is out, so are the pawn and coin shops, and I don't know anyone local willing to trade in PMs or the knowledge to do so. And it would be a much better time for the buyer.

Now in the rolling hills of W. Virginnia (where I want to end up) also having the ammo may be more adventagous then in suburban Southern New Jesey. I really don't know who would trade food/supplies for shells during Sandy here in NJ. Maybe more suitable at some tornado site where there could be more looting, or if there was long term down time here. Folks are more in the collecting, donating modes of emergency supplies, then trading PMs or ammo.

Without some prior plan or networking, selling pms quickly could be tough or involve a big loss in the trading.

Diversification and Prior Networking relationships helps during emergency times, no matter what your emergency money/barter goods are. In an emergency ya still need to prep and think about the basics first. Shelter, water, food, heat, cash, and some protection.

Any suggestions on how I could better utilize my PMs/90% during an emergency?
COA

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find the answer within your own question. And it's pretty funny/telling how people get tunnel vision, especially looking here on a PM-specific forum.

You don't do PMs first if you're in "this" for survival/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI preparations.

The gun store owner is right: You can't eat PMs. You can't protect yourself with PMs. You can't get warm or dry or sleep under PMs.

So what should you do?

Well, obviously, you first secure

Food & water
    Protection
    Shelter

THEN you use PMs to offer you mobility, flexibility, financial security, compact portable wealth.

You don't need to trade PMs for food if you have food.. You don't need to trade PMs for ammo if you have ammo. You don't need to trade/barter/steal a warm blanket if you have a warm blanket.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will always be able to sell your PMs. However, their value to others may be quite different than to yourself. PMs can and will be devalued in times of emergency.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear