Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2008 5oz gold 100th Anniv. of the Royal Can. Mint $500

Could anyone suggest a fair price I should ask for this coin? The original capsule is present but the box is missing, but I am about to have it graded. How should one go about selling such a pricey specimen in Canada - can online auctions (ebay??) be an option at all? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

I would ask Wondercoin or any of the other big dealers for an offer.
    Becky
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if you can get anything above full melt value for it (about $8575) you're probably doing pretty well. On a chunk of gold that size there just isn't much room for a collector's premium. Your best bet is probably an Ebay fixed price (lower fee % on higher value items). If it sells at $9100 you'll net about melt value after fees/shipping. You could try asking $10,000 and see what happens.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Oh, that's sobering...! 10-10.5k was something I was hoping to hear, considering that the price tag for 5oz bars is currently at $86xx (kitco). I wonder where all those low mintage coins RCM offers each year disappear... The same seller has a couple of more similar items, 2006 Laos Buddha and 2004 US Liberty, 5oz each, I think I'll pass on those.
    Thanks everyone once again!