Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody giving away Presidential Dollars for Halloween

I recall stories long ago of how some people would give away silver dollars (long time ago) or just money for Halloween/trick or treat. So, anybody giving away Pres dollars, or any other numismatic items to the little ghosts/goblins?

No, not me, just giving away the simple cheap sugar type candy

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No candy at my house....but a bunch of Prezzzes in the change bowl.image

Of course my house is at the end of a long dark road and no one showed up the last two years.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No candy at my house....but a bunch of Prezzzes in the change bowl.image

Of course my house is at the end of a long dark road and no one showed up the last two years.

image >>

Wait until a kid, thinking they are "chocolate inside" takes a bit out of them and you end up paying for the dental bill image

Nope....not giving out money at my house...though it would probably be cheaper than giving out candy!
    (we won't even be home, so I will leave all the lights off, including my driveway lights, and hope the kids don't want to walk down that path in the dark and rain)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, I'm still giving Ikes, one to each kid. Last year, we had exactly zero kids show up. Sad.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few rolls of Kennedy halves I can use. They're bigger than dollars, you know!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Wait until a kid, thinking they are "chocolate inside" takes a bit out of them and you end up paying for the dental bill image

Nope....not giving out money at my house...though it would probably be cheaper than giving out candy!
    (we won't even be home, so I will leave all the lights off, including my driveway lights, and hope the kids don't want to walk down that path in the dark and rain) >>

or you the kids egg your house image
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

Anybody giving away Presidential Dollars for Halloween

...i've thought about that idea but was convinced the kids would not appreciate them and would sail them through my windows in retaliation! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>I've got a few rolls of Kennedy halves I can use. They're bigger than dollars, you know! >>

So are large cents...you giving away any of those? If so, I will come by and trick or treat image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

(we won't even be home, so I will leave all the lights off, including my driveway lights, and hope the kids don't want to walk down that path in the dark and rain) >>

or you the kids egg your house image >>

If they are sufficiently scared off from entering the driveway, the house is far enough back that their arms wouldn't be able to throw that far image

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Buffalo nickels here
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give something scarey... something they've probably never seen before. An invoice for the candy. image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

As of this minute I've had 76 trick-or-treaters come to my door so giving away Presidential Dollars would be an expensive proposition.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    We've had exactly one trick-or-treater in the past 20 years.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I usually have a good supply of trick or treaters as I live in a subdivision of 96 houses all on about 1/4 acre lots so it's well set up for parents to walk their little goblins around and monitor the action from the street. This year I only had 14 though I was open for business until around 9:15. This is about 1/3 to 1/2 of my usual number. This means I have a lot of candy to take to work to put in our receptionist bowl up front! It will go fast.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Kennedy Halves. My favorite response "Is that real money?" To which I said "Of course it is real money" with a smile. I guess I could have just given Ikes/ We only had 7 this year. Less expensive and more "cool" than candy, in my opinion.thanks for starting this thread.
    There is no knowledge that is not power.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No trick or treaters at my house as they have a big bash for the kids at the clubhouse.

But I grew up in the sixties in Racine, Wisconsin - the home of Western Publishing and Whitman. I remember getting the trifold blue Whitman coin folders as a treat instead of candy - current Lincolns one year and nickels another year.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

or you the kids egg your house image >>

If they are sufficiently scared off from entering the driveway, the house is far enough back that their arms wouldn't be able to throw that far image >>

i heard my neighbor forgot to bring in his dobermans image
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

Change bowl is still stocked no one stopping here again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file