Home Precious Metals
Options

Jewelry/gold shop owner

This pawn shop owner came to a CT coin show on Saturday. I did a search on his business this is what I found: He claimed to be a father in distress running an honest business trying to help his son in trouble with the law.

How do dealers protect themselves from dealing with possibly unscrupulous operators like this? Text

Comments

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    All of Seymour...is that Seymour IN?

Every single B&M store around here is a father/son operation. Some work in the same store, some have 2 stores and they rotate working in each store. The article didnt say they were a pawn shop, so why would your title suggest they are...you must live around there?
    I've often wondered how pawn stores and/or B&M coin stores can stay in business even during the most roughest economic times, and this re-enforces my suspicions.
    Buying stolen goods (look at the comments) and paying the thief off in prescription drugs that could easily be gotten by an old man of 65 claiming to have health problems seems to be the mo here. Oh, I almost forgot ripping off legit customers that don't know what they have is another way to stay in business for a long time. Offering people 20-40% of what something is worth just because the person told you they are down on their luck and need some quick cash is unforgiveable to me, and they do it, I've been in their store in the past when they've done it. That's why they don't get my business any longer.
    There's about 8 B&M's in my area, and I deal with 2 of them. The rest are scum like this. Not very good percentages for supposedly being a reputable business owner. Buyer beware has never been more appropriate as it is when dealing with B&M's. Sorry, it's the truth, it might sting a little.

And those of you B&M's that are on the up & up, I commend you for being as such, but you are guilty by association in the general publics eyes. This is why when friends, family, neighbors etc. ask me where to take their stuff to sell or where to go to buy, I offer to do it for them, and in every single case they've accepted that offer.
    I tell them, look, I've built a relationship up with this dealer over the years and to be very honest, he will give me more than he will give you...which to him is a guy walking thru the door he doesn't know. I always make sure a receipt is written so I can prove to my friend the actual amount too...that goes a long way for trust. I never ask for anything but almost always get a few bucks from my friends for my time. Some may call that brokering a deal, I call it helping out a friend.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    I'm thinking the cops should have let the one guy swallow the heroin.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reading. It reminds me
    to be careful !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    In my town the "We buy Gold & Silver" shop is right next to the glass (crack) pipe shop, how convenient.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!