Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Price Reduced - Below Melt - Impaired 1878 Quarter Eagle

Good evening, all:

Below are links to photos of an 1878 quarter eagle that has suffered an unfortunate indignity. To put your numismatic eye to the test, see if you can spot it.

This coin is part of a small lot of U.S. coins that I have been cataloging and assessing for a friend and neighbor here in northwest Connecticut. Using my trusty Edmunds micrometer caliper and my PhD in mathematics (which I FINALLY get to use for something practical!), I judge that this piece is missing 1.03% of its metallic content, making its melt value about $206 as of Thursday, Nov. 9. Asking $185.00 plus $5.00 toward priority mail and insurance. If P&I is more, I’ll pay the difference. If less, I’ll refund the difference.

Obverse

Reverse

Term: I will ship to domestic addresses only, insured. Personal check and postal money order ok, the former of which must clear, please. I don’t patronize Paypal; too many horror stories. There is a return privilege: if you so decide, please have the coin (in as-sent condition; no returning it without the hole!) in the mail within 7 days of receipt for an immediate refund of $185.00.

I am a math professor in CT and a student of US coinage since the 1960s when my grandfather Whit Hart got me started. On Ebay, I am davidwm. On request, I will gladly send you an email from my Ebay account in verification of my Ebay identity.

Thank you. And thanks to PCGS for providing this avenue of sale.

Whit
Whit

Comments