Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Slabs with brown/copper spots

Wondering if anybody else has received or purchased slabbed PCGS coins lately with brown or copper spots in the plastic? I found this on several of the 75th anniversary silver eagle sets I purchased from retailers, both Mercanti label and Flag label. I have never seen this prior to 2012 issues. I also saw them on a PCGS slabbed UHR for sale on ebay. Sorry I could not post a good picture but you can see the spots a bit. Is this debris already in the plastic used to slab or does the spotting occur during the process?

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not purchased or received any but have spotted (no pun intended) a few on ebay when searching for Lincolns.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dirt ground into the plastic from being stacked I have found to be quit common. Had to polish a lot found that was coming in on consignment.
  • Options
    Makes sense I guess but these look to be imbedded in the plastic too deeply to be polished out. The ones I had that were the worst had spots in the middle, looked at first to be on the coins but with a magnifier could see they were in the plastic itself. I'm sure PCGS would reholder them, just haven't seen this issue before.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The center of the lens seems to be the high point on the slab all it takes is a grit of sand or heavy dust laying direct on a glass surface and it can be ground in.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes sense I guess but these look to be imbedded in the plastic ...with a magnifier could see they were in the plastic itself. >>

I work at a company that molds plastic containers. Dirt, grease, foreign objects in the final molded product are common. Sometimes the virgin plastic resin is contaminated from the get-go, sometimes it's introduced into the molding process by a variety of practices. I doubt the slabs are molded in a clean room, sterile facility, the slabs are probably molded in a typical manufacturing environment.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have seen holders with small dark spots on the inside of the slab. Not common but it has happened.

I don't think they develop. I am guessing they were there originally.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I don't see any of this grit in the older slabs so it made me curious. Also, I only see it on "dealer" purchased slabs (different facility perhaps)?
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The center of the lens seems to be the high point on the slab all it takes is a grit of sand or heavy dust laying direct on a glass surface and it can be ground in.

image >>

So true! While I prefer PCGS's grading expertise, I also prefer the new ANACS holder. Now....if I can get PCGS's opinion
    on an ANACS holder (coin included) I think a whole new market would be on the horizon.

Did someone say, "sticker"? image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Somebody at PCGS should be catching these and contacting the supplier of these inserts.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file