Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CoinWeek: "The Most Valuable Coin Ever 'Found' in the US to be Sold in Baltimore Auction".

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Most Valuable Coin Ever “Found” in the US to be Sold in Baltimore Auction

By Stacks Bowers on October 29, 2012 5:23 PM

Set to cross the block in the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official Auction of the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo is a famously rare New England sixpence, considered the most valuable American coin ever found with a metal detector.

This remarkable coin, struck in 1652, was discovered 339 years later in a Long Island potato field. Using a metal detector, Lillian P. Rade of East Hampton, recovered the extremely rare coin, and the story made national news. The incredible discovery was even covered by “Ripley’s Believe It Or Not,” which illustrated the coin and told its remarkable story in a December 11, 1991 feature. Today, rare coin experts believe the coin will sell for a price over $100,000.

We are thrilled to be involved in the sale of this extremely rare American coin,” said
Stack’s Bowers Galleries president, Chris Napolitano. “There’s nothing more exciting than
presenting such an impressive coin to the numismatic community that could’ve been lost forever!”

While many other valuable coins have been found in the United States with metal detectors, none is as historic, valuable, or as rare as the 1652 New England sixpence. The New England sixpence was struck in Boston in 1652, and was part of the very first group of coins ever struck in the future United States The simple design with just the letters NE on the obverse and the Roman numeral VI on the reverse made it easy to counterfeit, which prompted a rapid design change after the first group of coins was made. Today, New England shillings, sixpence and threepence are some of the most famous and desirable coins in American history — no other coins can be called the earliest coins made in North America. Just seven sixpence are known, three of which are housed in museums. None have sold at auction since this example was discovered over 20 years ago and sold in 1991 for $35,000.

A highlight of the renowned John “Jack” Royse Collection, the New England sixpence will be offered as part of our eagerly anticipated Early American Coin Session, scheduled for Friday, November 16, 2012, at the Whitman Expo in Baltimore. Over 100 other rare early American coins from the John “Jack” Royse Collection will also be offered, along with the first segment of the legendary Ted Craige Estate, a famous collection of early American coins that has been hidden from sight for over 40 years. Lot viewing begins Tuesday, November 13, 2012 in Baltimore, with earlier viewings by appointment in Irvine, California, and New York City. To request a catalog, call 800.458.4646.

CoinWeek Link

edited to add to thread title: "So far, a blatant statement"

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The N.E. Sixpence may have more history behind it, but I doubt it will eclipse the auction price realized for the 1817/4 Bust half found in soil near Cazenovia, N.Y.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't the missing 1913 Liberty Head nickel "found" in a closet and then sold at auction iin the Baltimore ANA show?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't the missing 1913 Liberty Head nickel "found" in a closet and then sold at auction iin the Baltimore ANA show? >>

the one that the wife said the husband had in his pocket in a fatal car wreck? then she took the belongings of the husband and put them into the close in a shoebox or whatever?

oops, that is what i get for not reading the posts as i so condemn others for not doing. the OP stated "found with a metal detector"

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with its history I wouldnt even spend $100 on it. Very boring design wise for the $ it will get :/
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The coin set a record for most valuable coin found in American soil with a metal detector when it sold in 1991. That record was broken in 2007 when a Maryland denarium dug in Virginia sold in a Stack's sale. My understanding of the 1817/4 half discovery is that it was found in a load of loose fill dirt, not in situ with a metal detector.

So this piece holds the title of most valuable American coin found with a metal detector, which is what the article says. The title of most valuable "found" coin would belong to the 1866 No Motto dollar, I'd think, since that's worth about $5 million now. Or, if you prefer, the Brasher doubloon that was found in a Philadelphia sewer in 1897, now in the ANS Collection.
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JK, I haven't heard the story about the Philadelphia sewer...care to enlighten us?
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a neat story gold bully.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't the missing 1913 Liberty Head nickel "found" in a closet and then sold at auction iin the Baltimore ANA show? >>

If my memory serves me the 1913 in the closet was originally declared not genuine up for many years until the year before the Baltimore show had all on display. Luckily the owner didn't believe all who said it was not genuine and hung on to the coin.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it's been hit by a "potato" shovel a couple of times.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file