Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the most valuable submission you have gotten back from PCGS?

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
I just submitted some coins for authentication, and as I eagerly await the return I have been thinking...

What was the most valuable blue box you have gotten back?
How many coins were in it?
What were the coins?
And values?
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    It was a while ago.

The box was green
    Liberty $20s
    Much more now than when I got the box back.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two or three years ago I sent in my Matte Proof Lincoln set (most of it anyway) for regrades. Box was insured for $108K. Subsequent sales of a few seemed to support that valuation. These days, though? Not so much.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    all 2008 coins - pr70 Buffalo $50, Buffalo $10 ms70, three Buffalo $5 pr69, two Buffalo $25 pr69, Jackson $10 ms70 and pr70, $10 AGE ms70 and a Platinum eagle $25 pr70 . Bought these coins raw from the mint and off ebay after stumbling onto Eric's fantastic thread on this board . I found the thread and started my purchasing just as the Buffalos were selling out at the US Mint. Thanks Eric and PCGS !
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The average value of each coin in one of my submissions was mid 5-figures/coin!

Then again, that was only a 1 coin submission image
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 2009 UHR double eagles ms-69
    1 1847 $5 u.s. gold piece AU details (scratch)
    1 1893 Isabella 25c XF-40

that was my favorite box so far

Erik
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percent increase while at PCGS was a coin I purchased as a VF that came back as AU53.

Most valuable box was 20 coins for re-holder only

• Options
    Not sure off the top of my head, but probably around $40k.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Seven figures. Decided to go over to the building to personally pick up the orders which was cheaper than the cost of shipping and insurance.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Submission #4452378---Summer of 2011. I hand delivered 8 1794 Large Cents to PCGS at Summer Baltimore and picked them up in Rosemont at the Summer ANA Convention. You can look it up on the Shared Orders page--order #20513079. I insured these 8 coins for 1.5 Million.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    About $1.1 million, included a bunch of Mass Silver ex-Ford with an AU50 New England Shilling among them.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I submitted to PCGS/DNA an original 1932 baseball signed by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, and the entire Yankees baseball team. PCGS authenticated the signatures of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and 7 other Hall of Famers. Not sure what the value was but it was somewhere in the 5 figures.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complete 1901 Proof Gold set.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Since the USPS only allows insurance max $25K, I remember submitting many packages at that $25K amount. Don't remember what was included in the submission, but my NGC 1815 Capped Bust Half Dollar AU 58 certainly was included in the package. The coin came back to me PCGS 55, as is the usual cross grade.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Since the USPS only allows insurance max $25K, I remember submitting many packages at that $25K amount. Don't remember what was included in the submission, but my NGC 1815 Capped Bust Half Dollar AU 58 certainly was included in the package. The coin came back to me PCGS 55, as is the usual cross grade. >>

Funny! That's why I would never send such a valuable submission in the first place!
  • Options
    I'll never forget my most valuable shipment, not for the coins, but for the unusual circumstances. I had sent in four Dahlonega gold pieces for TrueViewing, about seven or eight years ago, valued at the maximum for Registered Mail, $25,000. I also had them regraded, since they had to be removed from their holders anyway. I used a Collectors Club 4-coin voucher for the regrading, if memory serves.

As luck would have it, they were a little late in being shipped back by PCGS. As I recall, a couple of the coins had upgraded, based on the online grading results. Upon returning from the FUN Show on a Sunday evening, I found the Registered package in my mailbox, with the rest of my mail that the Postal Service was supposed to "hold" until I returned to town.

Needless to say, I was dumbfounded. I was relieved that the coins were there, but horrified that they had been carelessly placed in my mailbox, unattended for at least 24 hours. The next day I went to the Post Office and opened a P. O. Box , which I've used for my numismatic shipments ever since. I described the close-call to the Postmaster, who was very apologetic. The next day my carrier knocked on my door and expressed her regret. A substitute carrier had been the one that had committed the grave error.

It goes without saying that this is not one of my favorite numismatic memories.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeorgeKellogg:

Oh my.

Once the post office left a registered mail in my PO Box for a week when I was on vacation!!! image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file